Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
livewirecs

How did this happen?

I just started in December, and it's all I think about. LOL. My beer, your beer...youtube videos of peoples beer. Constant hovering on the forum, looking for recipes, checking my bottles daily...it's crazy. Mr. Beer has become my OBSESSION! I can't be the only one right?

Guest System Admin

Nope most Borg members are fully assimilated

I am not obsessed! I can stop any time I want. :angry:

I just don't want to stop right now. B)

livewirecs wrote:

Mr. Beer has become my OBSESSION! I can't be the only one right?

Hello, my name is Larry, and I'm a brewaholic.... B)

It only gets worse from here, when you move on to hop boils, steeping grains, partial mash, all grain, five gallon set ups. Welcome to the wild ride that is home brewing RDWHAHB.

packerduf wrote:

livewirecs wrote:

Mr. Beer has become my OBSESSION! I can't be the only one right?

Hello, my name is Larry, and I'm a brewaholic.... B)

+1+1+1 LOL I was thinking the same thing :laugh:

I'm with ya too! Started in early Jan.
1st. brew ever WCPA.
2nd. HME,UME,DME,& hop boil.
3rd. about the same as second.
4th. and latest, Steam beer recipe from "Joy Of Homebrewing" 1st. time steeping grains.

Have the next 2 or 3 already planned.

Can't stop thinking about brewing.

After finding some Mr Beer refills on sale, I have a few in queue. Math tells me there's a few months worth, but I keep wanting to buy the ingredients for the future ones.

Same problem here. I started 5 weeks ago and I've done 9 batches so far, including Mr Beer refills, other Extract-based batches, and several all-grain batches.

It is my obsession... I have been assimilated...

I have an old freezer, converted to fermentation freezer w/ full heat and cool control, 3 LBK's, 2 fermenting buckets, two 1 gallon carboys (had 3, but I broke 1), etc, etc, etc.

I seem to have the same problem. Picked up some BB&B refills on sale and been researching how to tweak them. I barely got finished bottling my first before brewing my second batch..... cant wait to taste it all!!

Brewing batch 6 this weekend. Started batch 1 mid December 2011. Batch 7 ingredients should arrive any day now...
:borg:

Guest System Admin

Well I'm sure glad to see so many others in the same boat. I've been like a little kid waiting for Christmas Day ever since I started my first batch. I find myself starting more batches and shopping for more ingredients and supplies and reading the blog every spare minute I get. Obsession is the perfect word for it.

The itch to brew something ever couple of weeks is how I ended up with 2 lbks... then the itch turned to once a week, so 3 LBKs... and now 4 LBKs... your all doomed!

Yep, brewed my first batch the last week of December, I now have 3 batches bottled, although the first wcpa is almost gone & 3 more batches in the LBK's at various stages of fermentation.

i just started in dec as well. it didnt take long to round up 4 lbk's and submit a montly order for supplies.and to think....this is only the beginning of the fun.

My wife and kids think im crazy also!Im also checking the Lbks soon as i get home before anything else! I started in Nov. have 3 Lbks going I start my 7th batch next week! Im up earlier every day come on herethen check temps on the LBKs! Its awesome!My glad im not the only one.Cheers!!! :cheer:

Have to admit that I'm a bit obsessed myself. I got the kit through W00T and then went out and bought a slimline after my first batch had been fermenting for a week. The next stop was the LHBS, where I picked up an airlock and stopper. The slimline is fermenting some Northern Amber Ale right now, and I just got another LBK from eBay and another slimline for batch priming (although there IS another airlock in the LHBS bag ;) ). There are over 100 scavenged and sanitized 20oz bottles in my kitchen right now waiting to be filled.

I've got two beers bottled, one fermenting, and ingredients for four more batches in the kitchen. The Imperial Pilsner seasonal was purchased immediately I received my 'dibs' email.

We've also experimented with the Mr Root Beer kit and ended up picking up four more kits and 9 refills at BB&B on clearance.

Heck. The slimline is on my nightstand so I can watch the airlock bubble.

I would say it's definitley an obssesion. I started my first batch at the end of Dec and its almost ready to drink. Bought another LBK so i have batches 2 & 3 fermenting and about ready to bottle. I've got the ingredients for 7 more batches. Bought a slimline for bottling. Fedex should be bring a bottling wand, spigots, tubing, a mini auto siphon and the ingredients for my collaboration brew this morning. I'm putting the parts together for a corny keg setup too.

But I promised my wife I wouldn't buy anything else until we tasted my first beer, the WCPA. So pretty much after next week, I'll be buying a 5 gal brewing set up! B)

I don't think I'm nearly as obsessed as all you crazy people!!

I mean, I just got my first LBK for Christmas...brewed 3 batches, have one conditioning, one in the keg, one already gone, 2 more LBKs on the way, all the ingredients for another 5 batches at the ready, turned my spare bedroom into a Mr Beer Room (the in-laws can stay at a hotel when they visit!!!) and spend most of my spare time either reading this forum or online finding and ordering whatever I need to brew a batch I am planning for 3 months from now...all the batches in between are already meticulously planned!

That's not an obsession, right? Just a healthy hobby...

You guys are all crazy!! :woohoo: :whistle:

I started back in August and I'm totally addicted.

The hobby has totally changed my outlook and interest in beer as well. I went to a brewery/restaurant on Wednesday and within moments of our waitress handing me my beer, my girlfriend looks at me and says, "Did you really just smell your beer?"

I started in early January, and now I've been like a sponge around here, trying to soak up as much info as I can. Ive got two batches brewing and planning my third. I'm just glad I live in an apartment with limited space, otherwise I'd have 3 LBKs by now! I wish I put this much thought and effort into my job!

E = Mc2 wrote:

Friggin' awesome! :drinking:

E = Mc2 wrote:

Have to admit that I'm a bit obsessed myself. I got the kit through W00T and then went out and bought a slimline after my first batch had been fermenting for a week. The next stop was the LHBS, where I picked up an airlock and stopper. The slimline is fermenting some Northern Amber Ale right now, and I just got another LBK from eBay and another slimline for batch priming (although there IS another airlock in the LHBS bag ;) ). There are over 100 scavenged and sanitized 20oz bottles in my kitchen right now waiting to be filled.

I've got two beers bottled, one fermenting, and ingredients for four more batches in the kitchen. The Imperial Pilsner seasonal was purchased immediately I received my 'dibs' email.

We've also experimented with the Mr Root Beer kit and ended up picking up four more kits and 9 refills at BB&B on clearance.

Let us know how the slimline fermenter works. I'm a little wary of attempting that. I don't really trust that plastic to hold up well once the yeast start producing alcohol.

Also, you should keep it completely protected from any UV light (sunlight and fluorescent light). Sunlight causes a reaction with hops that produces a chemical that is essentially the same chemical that a skunk sprays. If any sunlight at all gets in the room with the slimline, your beer will likely be "lightstruck" or "skunked" (if you've ever had a Heinekin or Grolsch that sat on the shelf at the store under fluorescent lights, you know what I mean).

Just don't go and check out Amazon's MB selection... You'll find a little paragraph that says buy 3 get one free and then you're screwed... You'll buy 4, even if you have enough ingredients for your next 2 batches already on the shelf...

Oh, and if you need lme you can get cooper's lme (light/dark/amber/wheat) for only like $13 shipped 2 day if you get the free month of "prime"...

Oh and don't forget if you want to make it easier to bottle those 12oz things you can get 60 carb drops for $6 shipped 2 day under that prime too...

Yeah, I'm screwed.

VanceFox wrote:

Just don't go and check out Amazon's MB selection... You'll find a little paragraph that says buy 3 get one free and then you're screwed... You'll buy 4, even if you have enough ingredients for your next 2 batches already on the shelf...

Oh, and if you need lme you can get cooper's lme (light/dark/amber/wheat) for only like $13 shipped 2 day if you get the free month of "prime"...

Oh and don't forget if you want to make it easier to bottle those 12oz things you can get 60 carb drops for $6 shipped 2 day under that prime too...

Yeah, I'm screwed.

Since we're giving away shopping secrets...a site called everythingbutwine.com offers lots of MB stuff (including individual cans of UME!) and they have free shipping on orders over $25. Great for those smaller orders.

manosteel9423 wrote:

Since we're giving away shopping secrets...a site called everythingbutwine.com offers lots of MB stuff (including individual cans of UME!) and they have free shipping on orders over $25. Great for those smaller orders.

Great place, I just don't like the high cost of a small can of lme. I can get a 3.3# can for slightly less then 2x the cost of getting the MB 1.2# lme and put the remainder in mason jars for later use.

That sounds like alot of work, Vance! Isn't it easier to just open the can and pour it in? ;p

Just placed an order here on MB as well...20% coupon code ***** made it VERY worthwhile to stock up on some stuff!!

There, figured I'd edit it myself... ;)

manosteel9423 wrote:

That sounds like alot of work, Vance! Isn't it easier to just open the can and pour it in? ;p

Just placed an order here on MB as well...20% coupon code made it VERY worthwhile to stock up on some stuff!!

Yeah, it is... But the extra work helps out the in end with lower costs per case. I have the same code from my registration. Expect your post to be removed though, or at least edited. They don't like people advertising coupon codes on their forums.

bpgreen wrote:

E = Mc2 wrote:

The slimline is fermenting some Northern Amber Ale right now

Let us know how the slimline fermenter works. I'm a little wary of attempting that. I don't really trust that plastic to hold up well once the yeast start producing alcohol.

The first batch of beer to go through it was WCPA. It tasted fine when I bottled it and I'm going to sample a bottle tomorrow.

The slimline has given me zero problems so far. I got an airlock and a small stopper at the LHBS and drilled the lid to accept the stopper. IIRC, it was a 3/4 inch bit that I used. The inside seal was then put back into the lid and cut from the inside out with a razor knife. I keep it tilted back with a couple of HME lids under the front edge, and haven't had any issues with krausen getting into the airlock.

It's really cool to be able to peek without opening anything. :cheer:

I have plans to purchase more LBK's and eventually move into carboys. My brewing space is limited now but I spent at LEAST 3 hours alone at work yesterday thinking about equipment, recipies and so forth. My brother-in-law and I had a hour and a half conversation about yeast and pitching rates about a week ago. I don't call it obsession, I call it advanced interest!

Cheers!

Joechianti wrote:

...like a little kid waiting for Christmas Day ever since I started my first batch.

You nailed it! Waiting on each batch is like Christmas Day! Brewing beer makes us like little kids again... :o)

You guys were not kidding. It does just keep getting worse. I started my first batch on Jan 9, and haven't even tasted my first bottle yet.

In that short time, I have started 3 more batches and stocked up on supplies for 20 more. I've jumped into DME and hop boils as if by instinct. I'm harvesting bottles left and right. [edit] Not to mention getting 3 more LBK's, new spigots, auto-siphon, and hydrometer.

But that's not the half of it. I am on this blog every spare minute I have, unless I'm at the LHBS.

I can't hardly sleep or concentrate on my job. I think about brewing all day long and dream about it all night long. I'm thinking about ingredients. I'm thinking about techniques. I'm thinking about equipment.

Now I find myself looking at grains to add to my extract batches, and am thinking of trying some all grain brews.

I normally have plenty of discipline and almost never do anything spontaneous. If someone said this would happen to me 2 months ago, I would have said they were crazy. Who's crazy now?

My life is being taken over by beer, and the worst part is I'm glad.

[EDIT] - One confusing result of my hyperactivity on the borg is that because the levels of expertise attached to our profile is based on number of posts, it disguises the fact that I'm still a total newbie. I wish I could fix that.

yea...

This got out of control fast

i just got my first LBK on Xmas, and i already have 3 LBK's, doing Hop Boils, and Steeps, considering trying a mash, and now using qbrew to make my own recipes... and now getting the girlfriend into it. "advanced interest" is the term i would use :woohoo:

:cheers:

I figure if I only drink like 5% of the time and the other 95% of the time I'm reading, brewing, checking boards, shopping for supplies, cleaning, brewing, reading and bottling, that's pretty good!

livewirecs wrote:

I just started in December, and it's all I think about. LOL. My beer, your beer...youtube videos of peoples beer. Constant hovering on the forum, looking for recipes, checking my bottles daily...it's crazy. Mr. Beer has become my OBSESSION! I can't be the only one right?

Frankly, this assimilation thing is a bitch....I started in late December, and my third batch is ready to be bottled now. Fourth and fifth will be arriving via UPS today--Imperial Pilsner and WCPA that I'll be tweaking with UME just to see what happens. Unfortunately, I made a tactical error when I didn't throw a second LBK into the order, as it's become increasingly obivious that I'll need (at least) one more to keep the pipeline flowing. I like beer a lot, and it's just about killing me having to wait on all this conditioning bulls***.

So, all I can say is, thanks a lot Mr. Beer. :think:

Guest System Admin

Ok started my first batch 13 days ago and now have 3 LBK's with 5 batches lined up. Will do my first hop boil this weekend, and plan on buying more batches from MB as my 20% code still works. Was looking in the garage for all the glass bottles I could find as I take my bottles in quarterly for refund, not any more. Have about 3 cases of refillable glass, so also on the agenda is a little bottle cleaning. Also purchased damn near everything in accessories on the MB site. I'm going to take a trip to my LHBS which is 50 miles away to do more shopping as their LME is 1.95 a pound for any flavor, and probably look at there 5 gal setups, caps and capper, and get any knowledge I can extract from the employees. So in less than 14 days I've gone absolutly f'n nuts. Best gift I ever got from my wife. No more buying Deschutes or Widmer products from the store, unless I need more glass. Obsession, helllllll no, more like obsession compulsion. :woohoo:

mashani wrote:

The itch to brew something ever couple of weeks is how I ended up with 2 lbks... then the itch turned to once a week, so 3 LBKs... and now 4 LBKs... your all doomed!

Now that you mention it, I am DOOMED! My wifey can't handle the NEW me. Brewing or bottling or buying almost every other day. LBK for Xmas from my grand-kiddies, bought another one 3 weeks ago, bought the deluxe model 5 gallon brew kit from LHBS = 1 primary, 1 secondary carboy and the bottling bucket. After brewing 1st 5 gallon primary, promoted the secondary carboy to primary carboy. Bought another primary bucket & airlock...now I have 3 primaries going as well as the 2 lbk's. Bottled both lbk's yesterday and so now I have to wait (sucks) since A: I don't have any more room in my brew closet (wifey conceded me that) and short on cash for more brew eqmt but the product keeps showing up at my door with Amazon specials and Cabelas specials. It's called an addiction. I may need an AA sponsor soon. NOT

Salud :barman:

Well, a year later...still brewing like crazy. (and still thinking about my beer, your beer, youtube beer videos etc...)

There be beer here. +100 to being obsessed..funnest most scientific hobby I have ever had. Has brought my creative side back..

Guest System Admin

It all happened so fast. A simple web site ad caught my eye. A single kit, one LBK and some starters. Now look at me. Three LBKs, hitting up my friends for their empty bottles, throwing away things from the hallway closet to make room, parking ice chests in the second bedroom and chatting with people half way around the world on-line about my "yeast" problems. How did I let it get out of control? It must MB's fault. Making the process so simple in the beginning. You know, a "gateway" brewing style. Then they have you hooked. It is is not my fault. The made it too easy.

Seems another new BeerBorg Assimulate has just turned on the light bulb...er...control panell...yeah, that's it...the control pannel. :whistle:

"tokyotomd" post=303419 said:

It all happened so fast. A simple web site ad caught my eye. A single kit, one LBK and some starters. Now look at me. Three LBKs, hitting up my friends for their empty bottles, throwing away things from the hallway closet to make room, parking ice chests in the second bedroom and chatting with people half way around the world on-line about my "yeast" problems. How did I let it get out of control? It must MB's fault. Making the process so simple in the beginning. You know, a "gateway" brewing style. Then they have you hooked. It is is not my fault. The made it too easy.

Welcome to your new obsession..there be beer and that is a good thing. Yes glass is better..

I just bought a chest freezer and a temp controller because keeping the beer cool in Florida was turning my second bathroom into an ice emporium. What is going on here!