Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
FlyingDog

Glass Bottle Priming

About to use glass bottles for the first time for my red ale. The first three batches I did in the 1 liter PET bottles were way too carbonated when following the Mr. Beer guidelines. How much priming sugar would you all recommend for standard 12oz bottles?

I'd recommend batch priming, in my opinion its alot less labor involved and you will get a much more uniform carbonation throughout...

Brewski wrote:

I'd recommend batch priming, in my opinion its alot less labor involved and you will get a much more uniform carbonation throughout...

I only batch prime when I do AGs because I get so much trub that it covers the spigot and I have to move it to my other LBK to bottle it. But when I don't have to move it, I just find it to be as much hassle as bottle priming. I suppose if I did 5 gallon batches that the hassle of the extra container would overcome the hassle of having to put sugar into every bottle though.

I like carb drops. I buy a 60 pack for about $5 from my local. One drop per 12oz bottle. Can't beat it.

Oh, and it really speeds up the bottling process.

Guest System Admin

I've never batched prime and I don't rack to a slimline....so how would one batch prime that way? I don't imagine it would be good since you'd stir up the trub.

mainegoer72 wrote:

I've never batched prime and I don't rack to a slimline....so how would one batch prime that way? I don't imagine it would be good since you'd stir up the trub.

If you want to batch prime, you'll need a bottling/priming container. Don't add the sugar to the fermenter.

bpgreen wrote:

mainegoer72 wrote:

If you want to batch prime, you'll need a bottling/priming container. Don't add the sugar to the fermenter.

I use a second LBK as my priming/bottling container.

For bottling my second batch yesterday, I made a 50% w/v dextrose solution, boiled, cooled and added the appropriate amount with a pasteur pipette to my bottles before tapping off the beer and capping. Hope it works!

Does priming add much/any to the ABV?

ben_postgate wrote:

For bottling my second batch yesterday, I made a 50% w/v dextrose solution, boiled, cooled and added the appropriate amount with a pasteur pipette to my bottles before tapping off the beer and capping. Hope it works!

Does priming add much/any to the ABV?

Very little. I've seen various estimates, but most are less than half of a percent.

VanceFox wrote:

I like carb drops. I buy a 60 pack for about $5 from my local. One drop per 12oz bottle. Can't beat it.

I got some yesterday from a co-worker of mine whose transferring to Japan and off loading stuff, how much would the 500 ml need (also got for free), 1 1/2 drops??
I just put one into each bottle this morning, think that will work?

Docniel wrote:

VanceFox wrote:

I got some yesterday from a co-worker of mine whose transferring to Japan and off loading stuff, how much would the 500 ml need (also got for free), 1 1/2 drops??
I just put one into each bottle this morning, think that will work?

You'll be undercarbed. But... those drops are great for the 12oz bottles. For anything different I'd go with Muntun's carb tabs. Cutting those drops will never be consistent.

That's what I figured for the 1/2 liter bottles, but hey I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I'll have to look around for the Muntun tabs. How much do they run for??

Docniel wrote:

That's what I figured for the 1/2 liter bottles, but hey I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I'll have to look around for the Muntun tabs. How much do they run for??

There's been a number of folks on this board who have had poor results with the Muntun tabs. Never heard anything bad about the Cooper drops. Except you need 1 per 12 oz so there's no size for a 1/2 liter. It'd be tough to cut them in half.

gophers6 wrote:

There's been a number of folks on this board who have had poor results with the Muntun tabs. Never heard anything bad about the Cooper drops. Except you need 1 per 12 oz so there's no size for a 1/2 liter. It'd be tough to cut them in half.

What have you heard bad about them? What result is poor? No carbonation or off flavors?

Whenever I bottle I always batch prime, it just makes more sense. It's easier to do, gets your beer out of the primary fermentor and away from the trub and we all know less trub in the bottles is cool.

For an LBK sized batch of Ale I boil 5 tablespoons of pure cane sugar in a cup of filtered water to bottle 24 bottles, or one of my 2.5 gallon corny kegs. That gives me consistently good levels of carbonation for mostly all of my ales and lagers, keep in mind my wheats can go as high as 8 tablespoons for an LBK sized batch.

Some folks might just think I'm tired, cheap and lazy for doing this but it really works very well for me, naturally carbonating my ales and lagers in my corny kegs. I'm a pretty simple minded guy although I admit I tend to think of 2.5 gallon beer kegs as just being very large 12 ounce bottles. Either way find what works best for you and definitely stick with it.

I wondered how to do that, I asked on the FB page, but other than the comment of "Batch Prime" no takers. Right now I have two LBK's looking at picking up a Cider Keg or two. Running out of room in the Fermentation cabinet, which in the Laundry room. Though the bright side We're trying to buy a house that has a really wonderful storage space that has a constant temp, so when that happens we might be able to expand ( wife makes Mead)
When you Batch prime, you can go straight to bottling right?

Docniel wrote:

I wondered how to do that, I asked on the FB page, but other than the comment of "Batch Prime" no takers. Right now I have two LBK's looking at picking up a Cider Keg or two. Running out of room in the Fermentation cabinet, which in the Laundry room. Though the bright side We're trying to buy a house that has a really wonderful storage space that has a constant temp, so when that happens we might be able to expand ( wife makes Mead)
When you Batch prime, you can go straight to bottling right?

I'm not sure what you wondered how to do. What fb page?

When you batch prime, you transfer the beer to a different container along with sugar dissolved in water. You bottle from this second container.

So it's like racking except adding sugar to the mix. There's a Mr Beer FB page.

for batch priming there are a bunch of calculators on the web. Here at home screwy had a good one Please tell us what is the FB page I have been three years and do not know what you are talking about, pleas supply a link to it for us old folks. I like all of the options and control that BP gives you., sugar type, level of carbonation and adding a last dose of hop flavor & aroma.

:blush: Laughing at my self DUH!
On a side note, I like to recycle and since we're talking about bottle priming, can you reuse the metal bottle caps that don't twist off? I mean if they aren't deformed.

Docniel wrote:

On a side note, I like to recycle and since we're talking about bottle priming, can you reuse the metal bottle caps that don't twist off? I mean if they aren't deformed.

I wouldn't. They're made to be used once. And they're really inexpensive, so it's not worth it.

Docniel wrote:

Based on how a bottled is capped... how can you pull a cap without bending it over the crown?

Not sure, we use a bottle opener on the Church Key, it doesn't seem to really dent it. Thank you though, I was just wondering about it and now you have allowed me to put that thought to rest and not try it.

Not sure, we use a bottle opener on the Church Key, it doesn't seem to really dent it. Thank you though, I was just wondering about it and now you have allowed me to put that thought to rest and not try it.