Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brew-tality

Next batches...

Well a few days ago I ordered another kit with enough refills to make 8 gallons of beer. I'm excited cuz I'll have 2 kegs finally.

I have one question though. I just ordered some grains and some hops from northern brewer, along with some hop sacks. I got 1 lb of Breiss Carapils and 1 lb of belgian caravienne, and 2 oz. each of cascade and centennial hops for some dry hopping.

My question is, for the dry hop do I just throw the hops in the fermenter alone, or do they need to be in a hop sack???

Thanks in advance...

Brew-tality wrote:

Well a few days ago I ordered another kit with enough refills to make 8 gallons of beer. I'm excited cuz I'll have 2 kegs finally.

I have one question though. I just ordered some grains and some hops from northern brewer, along with some hop sacks. I got 1 lb of Breiss Carapils and 1 lb of belgian caravienne, and 2 oz. each of cascade and centennial hops for some dry hopping.

My question is, for the dry hop do I just throw the hops in the fermenter alone, or do they need to be in a hop sack???

Thanks in advance...

Either way is fine, but you'll have less clean up and the same results if you use a hop sack.

Either way. Ina sack, less green floaties in the bottle. Naked (commando), u will have some. Up ta u, do what makes u happy. I've done both.

I have only dry hopped once but I used the sack because I didnt want people to freak out when they had green pieces stuck to their teeth from my beer :lol::lol:

That is a very good point El-Steveo. One of the things that always turned people off back when - in regards to homebrewing was the whole "floaty factor" - whereby they could see things floating in their beer etc. In modern times everyone is kinda used to the BMC filtered and less flavor type of drinks. YOu can introduce them to more/varied flavors, but they have to feel confident they aren't going to get any "food" with their beer :)

Cheers
jeff

Hey one more question guys...

Whats the best way to store unused grains and hops, as well as yeast that isnt ready to be used yet???

Brew-tality wrote:

Hey one more question guys...

Whats the best way to store unused grains and hops, as well as yeast that isnt ready to be used yet???

Keep the grains cool, dry and protected from mice and insects. I use a food grade bucket with a tight fitting lid.

I use a seal a meal to vacuum pack the hops and keep them in a freezer.

I keep the yeast in the fridge.

a bucket for the grains sound good. but could I just use like, a freezer bag and keep it in the fridge too? and do hops NEED to be frozen to protect them???

Brew-tality wrote:

a bucket for the grains sound good. but could I just use like, a freezer bag and keep it in the fridge too? and do hops NEED to be frozen to protect them???

I've read that refrigerating and freezing grains can be a bad idea.

The enemies of hop freshness are air, light and heat. So the best storage is in a vacuum packed, light impermeable container in the freezer. The worst option would be pouring them in an open container on the kitchen counter in direct sunlight. The closer to best you are, the longer they'll stay fresh. I buy hops in bulk (staying next year, I hope to have enough homegrown so I don't need to buy hops). So I try to optimize my storage conditions.

Ok guys. my shipment arrived today. How should I store the extra cans of HME and booster that I;m not using? yeast is in the fridge, grains are unopened and still in the box that they came in. Put hops in the freezer. but what about the cansand booster???

Brew-tality wrote:

ok cool. just dont want anything going bad. thanks

Booster is basically like sugar. It won't go bad per se. If it somehow gets wet, it can turn into a brick, but that's about it. And canned goods are canned in order to preserve them for long term storage.

Just finished brewing up 2 batches about an hour ago. I did the HCCD with a grain steep of Carapils, and WWWB with the same steep. So I got about 5 gallons brewing right now. Pitched 4 grams of dry yeast in each. Thanks to FedoraDave for the steeping info. Got it saved in my documents for easy access, as well as his advice on hop boils. What a lifesaver. I'll be sure to post in the first pour sticky when its ready. Guess its time to go update my 2012 brew log...