Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Blatzman

I brewed this tonight...

I have no idea how this will turn out..I was basically flying by the seat of my pants.

3 lbs Northern Brewer Rye Malt Extract
1 gal H2O
1 oz US Golding - 60 min boil
0.5 oz US Fuggle - last 15 min
Half a packet of Safale US-05 Dry Ale Yeast

Ice bathed it down to 96F, added it to 4Q cold H2O in the LBK and topped it off to 8.5Q, pitched yeast, crossed fingers. :unsure:

Thoughts?

Roggenbier on steroids? Could be a little harsh with such a high percentage (ie 100%) of rye malt. It will be unique.Two of my favorite hops in it though. Did you get an OG on that? It looks like it should have hit 1060-1065.

It's not 100%, I think thats 70% 2 row, 20% rye, and the rest crystal malt.

It sounds awesome to me. You can't lose with Goldings and Fuggles.

Edit: The only thing I'd have done differnet maybe is use S-04... But nothing wrong with S-05.

Edit Edit: Did you boil ALL that malt with the water, or just a little bit and then add the rest at the end? If you boiled all of it (or nonoe of it) then you won't get all the hop utilization from the goldings. If so next time just boil maybe 1/2# to 1# in the water, and then add the rest in the last 10 minutes.

Ya, their website says 10% crystal 40. It shouldn't be unusually harsh, although the roggeinbier I had last weekend seemed overly grainy...

@mashani,
Yes I did boil all of the malt for the whole time. This was my very first non-Mr B. extract brew, so I didn't quite know all of the tricks. Up to this point, I've just used the Deluxe refills.
Do you think it will still turn out OK?

Blatzman wrote:

@mashani,
Yes I did boil all of the malt for the whole time. This was my very first non-Mr B. extract brew, so I didn't quite know all of the tricks. Up to this point, I've just used the Deluxe refills.
Do you think it will still turn out OK?

As long as you like malty-sweet-carmel flavors then yes.

If you were expecting bitterness to come through, you may not get much.

Two things happened in that boil:

1) Your hops didn't get as much alpha acids (bitterness) extracted during the 60 minute boil as would have happened in a normal gravity wort. Adding just part of the extract up front to the partial volume of water would have extracted the hop bitterness better.

2) Your wort was so thick with the malt sugars that its likely some of them carmalized more during the boil. This will end up darkening your beer a few shades more then it would have been with less malt in the boil, and it will also add caramel flavors as if you used more crystal malt.

Doesn't mean it's going to turn out bad as long as you have a sweet tooth.

The spicyness of the rye may mellow the sweetness some, I dunno.

Update: I bottled this last night and it tasted great right out of the LBK.
Cold crashing was key, as I went commando.

Stay tuned for first pour in 3 weeks