Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Chance drums

ENGLISH STRONG ALE!!!!

:P:P Man! 3 weeks in the bottle and the seasonal refill ENGLISH STRONG ALE TASTES AMAZING!!!!!!! It's hard now to try and let it condition but I will. Whew simple but excellent. Go Mr. Beer!! THANK YOU :woohoo: :gulp:

You got that right. I shared a couple with my brother on Sunday, and he was suitably impressed. It's a beautiful beer.

It is very good. I made 1 batch which I have been drinking. Still have another can that I might brew up in a few weeks. Great job MB. :chug:

FedoraDave wrote:

You got that right. I shared a couple with my brother on Sunday, and he was suitably impressed. It's a beautiful beer.

I am using honey for the second fermentation per your influence bud.....I love it..thanks Dave!

Any tweaks to this one that people have enjoyed? I have another can that is taunting me and I want to get it into an LBK.

I have some steeping grains (carapils, 20L, 60L, 120) and tons of hops and some other LMEs (light and pilsen). Just want to try to do something a little different.

Cheers
jeff

I plan on doing my second batch same as the first, straight-up. It's kind of a complex tasting beer as is with a decent ABV. I'll save my experimenting for a more basic brew. Just my thoughts.

I'm going to add some really dark crystal to my next batch, and try to push the licorish/treacle type flavors up a bit.

The Norfolk Nog, which is a beer of similar style, is quite a bit darker, and has a good bit more of those flavors going. And I like it more. So I'm going to try to mod this to be closer, and I think that's the way to do it.

Guest System Admin

I am going to do my next one with 1/4# Carapils and a hop boil with Williamette hops

Ended up making this one with few changes for batch #2 of the English Strong Ale seasonal. I did a 1/4 pound of carapils (head/lacing, mouthfeel) steep for 30 minutes, then boiled that with 1/2 oz of Willamette for 30 minutes and 1/2 for 7.

Oh - I ended up using a Coopers yeast (7g) instead of S-04. Would have done the S-04 and just seen the difference between the two minor changes but I used it (doh) and didn't want to use up an S-05.

We will see if I can make the first batch last long enough to still have a couple to compare by the time this batch is ready to go :)

Cheers
jeff

This really is a great brew. I have my second batch 4 weeks in the bottle now, and will save the third one to brew later this year. I liked this one so much I am going to do them all straight up. I don't think I can improve on what the Mr Beer brewmasters did with this one.

Doc - I just brewed up a second can of this a week ago.
Yesterday I added 1/2 oz medium toast oak cubes to the ferementer.

I had these left over from a recipe last year so I figured I would toss them in to see how it goes. I also changed the yeast to WLP002 that I had washed a while back.

I'll try to report back some findings in a month or so if I remember...

Cheers Fellas - The first time I brewed it straight up with a 1/2 pack of booster. It was really nice. I gave it 4 Stars out of 5.
The second time I steeped 1/3 pound carapils 25 minutes, 3/4lb Breiss Pilsen Light DME - Fuggles 1/2 oz 7 minutes & 1/2 oz DH'd 10 days.
This ones been conditioning for 4 weeks tomorrow. I'll taste this weekend if I can hold out. :laugh:
Here's the label. Border_Control-20120221.JPG

Kealia,

I would be interested to see how that turns out. MIght consider that minor addition to my last can.

3 more mr. beer bottles left for conditioning and 1 12 oz bottle in the fridge. Next week I will throw the 3 in the fridge and share with friends and or family