Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
devildude19

Weird streaks on my bottles?!? HELP!!!

OK so I brewed the WCPA on 1-14-12. Bottled on 1-28-12. Refrigerated one bottle for 24 hours one week in to check and everything seemed OK. I just pulled another bottle to check after two weeks and there is weird streaks on the shoulder of the bottle. It kinda looks like *GASP* mold! I'm going to refrigerate and cross fingers and knock wood but if ANYONE knows about this, the info would be appreciated!

Cheers!
Jeff

You're talking about inside the bottle? I've seen some weird looking stuff in the bottle but never mold. If its the last bottle you filled it could be extra trub that made it in there when filling. I don't think anything really bad for you can grow in there so you should be fine either way.

You can get a tiny little krausen ring in your bottle when it carbs... that would be somewhat normal.

You should not be able to get mold in your bottles. The atmosphere in them should be very mold unfriendly.

If it's white stringy looking things that are not just on the sides of your bottle but dangling down from the surface into the beer... then... well it won't hurt you but it will potentially taste interesting...

Pics might be useful.

Well they're brown streaks about 1/8" long right under the shoulder of the bottle. I tried to upload pics with no luck. Besides the pics were kinda bad quality. Hard to see brown streaks in a brown bottle in a pic. Gonna check the bottle I cooled when I get home this evening. Here I think I figured out what I did wrong with the pic.

Hmmm...I don't think it's anything to be concerned about, but more experienced members may have sme insight. Looks kinda like its still fermenting?

Are these on the inside or outside of the bottle? I've had a couple that did not seal well, as they carbed, they leaked a tiny bit out. Ran down the side of the bottle and dried there. Inside, I don't have a clue.

It's on the inside. I noticed it was only on a few of the bottles so it may have been sediment from the last bit I bottled. I tasted one I had in the fridge and it had a black licorice flavor to it. Not real bad but it was there. Other than that the color, clarity, carbonation and overall flavor was OK. I'm kinda assuming they just need more time to condition. The saga continues....

devildude19 wrote:

It's on the inside. I noticed it was only on a few of the bottles so it may have been sediment from the last bit I bottled. I tasted one I had in the fridge and it had a black licorice flavor to it. Not real bad but it was there. Other than that the color, clarity, carbonation and overall flavor was OK. I'm kinda assuming they just need more time to condition. The saga continues....

Did you clean your bottles and spigot before bottling? Did you clean the lbk and all utensils before brewing? I don't remember a licorice flavor in the wcpa...

Oh yeah. I made sure EVERYTHING was cleaned, my OCD wouldn't let me continue otherwise. :) No one else noticed it so it may be me being overly critical. I suppose I'll keep checking, somehow I may have gotten some nasties in there. :angry: I certainly hope not.

OK so the "licorice" flavor DID go away. The beer was just green and needed time. I suppose this will teach me to be patient.

devildude19 wrote:

OK so the "licorice" flavor DID go away. The beer was just green and needed time. I suppose this will teach me to be patient.

AWESOME! Glad to hear no beer was harmed ;)