Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ekirch

Cold crash advise please

Need a little advice. I plan to bottle my first batch of cowboy blonde this weekend after its been fermenting for the past two weeks. I haven't tasted it yet, but from what I can tell is pretty clear with a few floaters on top. There some nice trub on the bottom so I'm reasonably sure fermenting went well. So. . . I'm debating whether I should cold crash or not. From I can tell from most of the seasoned brewers out there, it's probably best practice. However, I'm concerned that moving the keg will stir up the trub and sentiment clouding up what looks to be pretty clear beer. I know the directions say to move it as little as possible. I'm inclined to skip the cold crash. Does anyone think that would be a bad move?

In other words, is cold crashing essential?

Obviously, not essential. I happen to cold crash every LBK sized batch. I would my 5 gallons, but they don't fit in the fridge. I usually give them 1-3 days, depending on when I'm bottling. I like the results. YMMV.

I cold crash every batch, but its not essential. Just preference. It's easy for me to do since I have a fridge with temperature controls for fermenting.