Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ekirch

is my beer ready

I had planned on bottling my Cowboy Golden Lager this weekend after fermenting for two weeks. I just took a small sample and was suprised to see it still somewhat cloudy, not as clear as expected. There is still some what I think may be floating yeast colonies on the top and some nice trub on the bottom. Anyway, the taste test tasted like beer ( a good thing). I can't decide whether it finished somewhat bitter or mildly medicinal in flavor. I did use only bottled water so I think it was more bitter (MB manual says that using chlorinated water results in a medicial taste).

Anyway, any suggestions/advice would be welcome.

-Do I give it more time in the fermenter?
-Do I cold crash?
-Do I just bottle?
-Do I adjust the temperature in the area where my keg is located?

Homebrewing is a great lesson is patience. . . . . . .
thanks in advance!

I personally would wait another week to allow the yeast to finish if you still have "floaties"... and then cold crash for 2 days to knock a lot of the cloudiness out of suspension before bottling. I have that lager on deck for the next brew.

Do you keep the lbk in a consistent (decent) temperature and dark environment?

what temp were you fermenting at?

If its not sweet and tastes like flat beer, your good to bottle. If you want the clearest beer possible, you can cold crash a couple days but I rarely worry about it.

I'm going to say that most veterans will ask you what was your original gravity and your final gravity. But I'm guessing you didn't measure them. Don't worry I don't either, but I do keep it in the fermentor for an extra week (3 weeks) just to be sure, especially if the beer still has some fusal taste to it (like rocket fuel).

mnstarzz13 wrote:

what temp were you fermenting at?

If its not sweet and tastes like flat beer, your good to bottle. If you want the clearest beer possible, you can cold crash a couple days but I rarely worry about it.

+1

A lot of times some trub will settle in the spigot and give you a cloudy sample. Since no one else has said it yet, get yourself a hydrometer for your next batch. It takes the guesswork out of "Is it ready yet?".

It would be helpful to know what temp you fermented at though...

Guest System Admin

Cowboy was my first one, I let it go for two, saw how cloudy it was and figured why not...trial and error! As it carbonated it cleared up, tried it the other day and it was delicious...so have at it!

A few weeks back I bottled my first batch of Classic American Blonde Ale, it was still somewhat cloudy, but after being in the bottle, even after only 2 weeks, it had cleared up a lot. From what I've been reading, cold crashing can help with that too.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll go ahead and bottle it and cold condition for a longer perio of time.

Ekirch wrote:

Thanks for the input. I think I'll go ahead and bottle it and cold condition for a longer perio of time.

Make sure to let it carbonate at room temps so the yeast can do it's job on the priming sugar. 1 to 2 weeks worked for me then leave in the fridge for a day or so before you crack on open.

Good luck and keep brewing! :cheers:

Ekirch wrote:

Cold conditioning will put the yeast to sleep. Leave in the bottle for approx four weeks at room temp before chilling to drink

I bottled a batch of pilothouse pilsner last weekend that was still cloudy after 19 days in the LBK & 2 days in the fridge, it seems to be clearing up some as it conditions but I don't mind cloudy beer.