Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
sickfish

painful question

:blink:
Why inthe w0rld did u open it???
JK, as long as no stirring or anything done to it, no worries.
but... why did u open ?

:S

Im not too experienced, but ive read alot about open fermentations. Aparently they do it alot in Europe. So I wouldnt worry about 10 seconds with the lid off man. It's just good sense to keep it sealed...

I think it's probably long past saving. Unfortunately, you can't just dump it down the drain. You need to let it ferment to completion, bottle it up and send it to me. I have all the necessary equipment to safely dispose of it.

Of course, the equipment is a refrigerator, a beer glass and me.

It's not a good idea to take the lid off during fermentation, but if it's off for short periods, odds are very good that you'll be fine.

You're fine. I've heard that they start chopping balls off if you hit 15 second...but 10 seconds...they let it slide.

It's all good, just make sure u don't drop the flashlight in when pervin! LOL

Elsteve-o wrote:

hopefully you didnt get any drool in there ;)

Drool might be good, does not dogfish head (or whatever they are) spit in their brew tanks for flavor?

+1 on probably nothing bad happened.

But this is a good time to point out that, unless it's obvious that your beer is contaminated (and a quick taste test will tell you that), never, NEVER dump out a batch. There are plenty of stories of guys who thought their beer was ruined for one reason or another, but they bottled it anyway, and it turned out fine. In some cases, it turned out to be some of the best beer they'd ever made.

Go the distance.

FedoraDave wrote:

But this is a good time to point out that, unless it's obvious that your beer is contaminated (and a quick taste test will tell you that), never, NEVER dump out a batch. There are plenty of stories of guys who thought their beer was ruined for one reason or another, but they bottled it anyway, and it turned out fine. In some cases, it turned out to be some of the best beer they'd ever made.

Go the distance.

+1...

FedoraDave wrote:

Go the distance.

YES!

I've had two or three ":huh:" moments with some of my batches, but I only had to discard one before bottling day (and never discarded any others ever). But it was my fault. It was an early attempt at AG, but my LBK doesn't grind the grain, and I had no mill at the time, so I tried cracking them with a meat tenderizer. It didn't work, and my efficiency was probably around 40%. I was getting nothing out of it, and after two weeks in the LBK I tasted it and decided it would never be beer, so down the drain it went.

There is a protective blanket of C02 on it. You are good to go. I pull the lid off of my fermenter to dry hop on over half of my brews.

FrozenInTime wrote:

Elsteve-o wrote:

hopefully you didnt get any drool in there ;)

Drool might be good, does not dogfish head (or whatever they are) spit in their brew tanks for flavor?

I think they chew on something then spit it into their beer.........yummy!!!

On one of their shows on the Discovery Channel they were chewing on maize then making beer with it. It wasn't any of the commercial beers they sell. It was an experiment with making beer the way some ancient tribe used to make it.

sickfish wrote:

thank you guys
every bit of know how is great
thank you very much :)

So:
Why did you open keg lid???

:blink:

Had weird foam during fermentation.
Needed to see if it smelled like beer.
Was told it should be fine if it was quick.
I did smell like beer.
Has been fermenting for 3+ weeks going to bottle
tonite or tomorrow. :whistle:

The foam may have just been the krausen, which is commonplace (and sometimes can get so thick it oozes out, which is why keeping the LBK in a pan or somthing is a Good Idea).

RDWHAHB (Relax, don't worry, have a home brew... or for us newbies, have a craft brew and build up bottle supply).

Depending on how long you've been fermenting, only time will tell. There is always the quick taste test, like the directions suggest. Just don't lose any sleep over it. :cheers: