Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Billbofet

Whispering Wheat recipe. Opinions please

I plan on getting and brewing a batch of Whispering Wheat next week. My wife loves Blue Moon, so I am thinking of going with the standard kit/instructions and adding a sliced orange and an extra 1/4 of sugar while it ferments.

Could this lead to an odd taste with the orange or additional sugar?

Also, thoughts on coriander? I see this in a ton of recipes. Anyone use this on a regular basis?

Thanks again.

I've used 1 tsp of coriander and Orange zest to boil of the WW and it tasted good, but as far as the Orange flavor you should use the zest instead, a sliced Orange will have so much citric acid which is not good for head retention,

Billbofet wrote:

I plan on getting and brewing a batch of Whispering Wheat next week. My wife loves Blue Moon, so I am thinking of going with the standard kit/instructions and adding a sliced orange and an extra 1/4 of sugar while it ferments.

Could this lead to an odd taste with the orange or additional sugar?

Also, thoughts on coriander? I see this in a ton of recipes. Anyone use this on a regular basis?

Thanks again.

Call me crazy, Try 2 cans of WW with both packs of yeast. DON"T ADD BOOSTER, ADD 1/4 cup of sugar.
Than add some orange zest and a touch of coriander.

Let it ferment in LBK for 3 weeks

Bottle it for 6 weeks(3 for priming/3 for conditioning)

That will be more of a blue moon as per Mr. Beer ingrediants

Are there any other suggestions for a Whispering Wheat recipe? I kinda like the idea of a Blue Moon taste but the directions were kind of vague(for a newbie). :cheers:

Okay, so I am going to pick up some coriander tomorrow when I grocery shop. I read other recipes and it looks like you add the coriander once you get the booster to boil.

As for the orange, I plan on zesting two small oranges. Does that seem extreme for a 2 gal. batch?

Appreciate the feedback. I looked at other blue moon clone recipes and the constant(s) always seems to be orange zest and coriander. Now, I don't expect to be an exact clone, I just expect mine to be better.

Oh, and I still will be adding 1/4 cup extra sugar.

Are you talkin about the blue monn belgian white??? You might wanna go with chance drums idea. Not too sure on it, but its all about experimentation man. Also, I LOVE the belgian white...

If it turn out anything like that, let me know. I just did the whispering wheat with a basic grain steep and im gonna dry hop with centennial hops, so make sure to comment on your results.

I'd pitch 6g of yeast at a minimum...

Isn't a blue moon a more malty beer and not so bitter? I'd throw a half pound of dme in the recipe to help balance out those hops.

If you're shooting for something like Blue Moon, I think you want to go with Witty Monk, not Whispering Wheat. Yes to the orange peel (I think they use Valencia) and coriander.