My next batch starting tomorrw. comments pls

1 Can WWW (with booster & yeast)
1 lb golden DME from my local LHBS
------
4 oz sweet orange peels
2 Oranges (thinly sliced)
1 lemon (thinly sliced)
8 oz honey

Comments please. I do plan on adding the items below the line in stage 2. What is the best practice for doing this?

I'd be wary of adding fruit slices to the beer as it ferments. You risk bitterness from the white pith under the skin of the citrus fruit. Also, the fruit itself can be variable. You don't know if the orange is one of the sweeter ones or one of the more bitter ones.

This is a lesson I learned from experience. You're better off using pasteurized juice when you want to add something like this to flavor a beer. It may take some trial and error to get it right, but then you'll know in the future, and the packaged stuff is much more reliable and consistent.

The orange peels and honey are not a bad idea. I'd put the orange peels in a sanitized hop sack and just add them to the keg. The honey you have to dissolve in about a cup of boiling water, then cool it down to room temperature and gently but quickly pour it into the keg. Don't stir. The honey mixture will do what it needs to do without stirring, and you don't want to aerate the beer or stir the trub layer.

i made a wheat beer an added a tablespoon at the least maybe more of sweet orange peel to the keg let that sit or 2-3 weeks.Not a lot of orange flavor but the beer aroma was awesome and tasted great.
I agree with dave in not to use fruit slices.But the dehydrated product from local HBS.

Or check spice rack at local store for mckormicks they have various dried fruits

Such as orange peel lemon etc they can be costly but worthwhile

http://www.mccormickgourmet.com/Products/Spices.aspx

highlandmck wrote:

i made a wheat beer an added a tablespoon at the least maybe more of sweet orange peel to the keg let that sit or 2-3 weeks.Not a lot of orange flavor but the beer aroma was awesome and tasted great.
I agree with dave in not to use fruit slices.But the dehydrated product from local HBS.

Or check spice rack at local store for mckormicks they have various dried fruits

Such as orange peel lemon etc they can be costly but worthwhile

http://www.mccormickgourmet.com/Products/Spices.aspx

+1 to the dehydrated product from your LHBS or online source. I used it in my Summer Ale by boiling the dehydrated lemon and orange peel with the flavoring hops, and it turned out very nice. You could simply boil them in with your DME for 15-20 minutes, then remove from heat and combine the remainder of your ingredients.

The sheer amount of fruit in this concerns me. 2 whole oranges..1 whole lemon..4 oz orange peels...8 oz honey.

This may be the taste you're going for...just seems like a lot to me.

Thanks for the comments guys. I will make and pasteurize my own juice. That's relatively easy to make the flavor what I want it to be.

I have dehydrated orange peels here already, unfortunately my LHBS does not carry lemon peel yet, so I will zest my lemon. I can filter out the pulp with cheese cloth easily so I don't end up with a "lumpy" beer. I won't be adding the additives for a bit, so keep up the advice for me.

Thanks for the advice for adding the honey to the boiling water then adding to the keg without stirring (I would have stirred).

Any other advice would be awesome, I won't be adding the additives until secondary fermentation.