Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brew-tality

Mr Beer sugar measure

hey guys I just got my second kit that came with one of these cylinder sugar measures. Do these things work alright??? It says 2 scoops in the big cylinder is good for the 1 liter PET bottles. But I added the same amount of sugar to my first batch for bottle priming and had to keep relieving pressure from the bottles to avoid bombs. Just wondering if anybody has good info on this. And just FYI, I dont want to batch prime, so dont bring it up please. I;m just looking for a good solution for bottle priming. If the cylinder measure works alright, then cool. If not, let me know what you do...

Thanks.

1 liter calls for 1 and 1/2 teaspoons. I'd put one and a half teaspoons of sugar into the cylinder and see how it compares.
jmho

If that measure is based on their suggested amounts, you might not want to follow it...

MB prime suggestion will overcarb the beer. Some might like that, others will not when they're uncontrollably belching.

I use the cooper carb drops. One drop per 12oz bottle.

If This is what you are using, that's what I've been using every since about the second batch I made and have had good luck with it. I haven't done any 1 lt. PET's in a while though. I always over fill it and then tap off the excess to the mark.

As far as I know, the Mr Ber sugar measure is 1 tsp for the big side and 1/2 tsp on the small side.

Also, I think the a liter bottle MRB suggest 2.5 tsps.
i-ZJCf9r8-L.jpg

I have the MB sugar measure as well. I used the bigger cylinder side (1.25 tsp) twice for each 1 Liter PET bottle for my first batch of WCPA.

I just bottled my second and third batches Friday and used 12oz glass bottles. Just 1 cylinder full of the small side (3/4) is supposed to be enough.

Cleveland013 wrote:

I have the MB sugar measure as well. I used the bigger cylinder side (1.25 tsp) twice for each 1 Liter PET bottle for my first batch of WCPA.

I just bottled my second and third batches Friday and used 12oz glass bottles. Just 1 cylinder full of the small side (3/4) is supposed to be enough.

So if Clevelan013 is correct, then I probably over carbonated my first batch. (2 big scoops and 1 small scoops). What do I do now?

KokomoSam wrote:

Cleveland013 wrote:

So if Clevelan013 is correct, then I probably over carbonated my first batch. (2 big scoops and 1 small scoops). What do I do now?

You get ready to burp alot!! ;)

Its not the end of the world. The over-carbing will give the beer a bit of a fizziness but if you let it condition longer, that will dissipate some. Give it 3 weeks in the bottles, then try one. If its too fizzy, give it another week or two. It will probably never be perfect, but still very drinkable!

If you don't like it, I can give you my address, and I'll dispose of it properly! :gulp:

KokomoSam wrote:

Well I'm told the plastic PET bottles are more forgiving for overcarbing.

If you overcarb you run the risk of bottle bomb (exploding bottles).

I'm not sure if an extra 3/4 tsp will cause you bottles to explode or not, but other guys on here have suggested to keep an eye on the beer.

If it looks like it's getting too pressurized (bottle too hard, bulging, etc) you may need to loosed the cap, let it gas off and then recap.

Some have also suggested conditioning them at slightly lower temps to slow down the carbing process.

berryman wrote:

If This is what you are using, that's what I've been using every since about the second batch I made and have had good luck with it. I haven't done any 1 lt. PET's in a while though. I always over fill it and then tap off the excess to the mark.

Yea berryman thats what I have. Good to know it works well. I dont wanna overcarb and have bottle bombs. The ol' lady would kill me, haha.

Cleveland013 wrote:

This is my exact procedure when I bottle prime, and I have never had any problems.

I doubt the bottles will actually BOMB like you are thinking...they will more likely blow a lid and leak everywhere. Just had one bottle I intentionally over carbed do it last week...yep...did it on purpose because I was curious...

I keep my full bottles in an opaque plastic tub. Keeps light out AND will contain any potential leakage.