Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jt3_jon

Beer tasted GREAT when bottling...what happened?

I made my first Mr. beer batch; the Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout. After 2 weeks in the Mr. Beer keg, I tasted it before bottling and it was GREAT!! I LOVED IT!! Of course it was flat, but the flavor was AWESOME!

However, after 4 weeks in the bottle, I put one in the fridge 4 days ago, popped it open tonight, and it did not taste as good as I remember. Completely different taste. I wouldn't say its bad per se, just not nearly as good.

Is this because of the bottle fermentation? Does it really change the flavor of the beer that much? I'm going to age these in the bottle longer and see if the taste improves (nothing else I can do).

I hope it someday returns to that wonderful flavor it had when bottling.

It will probably improve with more time at room temperature. You might also want to give it at least a week in the fridge.

Stouts in general need more time than a wheat or an ale would. I would give a stout at least 8 weeks before I even thought about popping one in the fridge. I try to go a good 6 months. Give it more time and I'm sure it'll get better for you.

stout does change from week to week in taste and takes longer to condition.

give it at least 6 weeks at room temp longer if u can

Hi Fellas, let me jump in here. What I believe is happening here IMHO - is you are tasting the sweetness of the wort. Now, after 4 weeks, you have beer, but it's lost some sweetness - very young beer. No worries, like my beer brothers here have already stated, give it time. :sombrero: Flavors blend & change over time. Keep aging, keep sampling. Report back with results. :barman: The guys here know everything, & what they don't know they make up. :laugh:

Beerlabelman wrote:

Hi Fellas, let me jump in here. What I believe is happening here IMHO - is you are tasting the sweetness of the wort. Now, after 4 weeks, you have beer, but it's lost some sweetness - very young beer. No worries, like my beer brothers here have already stated, give it time. :sombrero: Flavors blend & change over time. Keep aging, keep sampling. Report back with results. :barman: The guys here know everything, & what they don't know they make up. :laugh:

I think he tasted after primary fermentation was complete... But yes, I've noticed that the beer does taste different at bottling than after a couple weeks.

Besides other factors of conditioning, carbonation does also change the taste. The more carbed a beer is, the more the perceived bitterness will be for example. A low carbed beer tastes different from the same beer carbed on the high side. Thats why various styles of beers are carbed at different levels.

mashani wrote:

Besides other factors of conditioning, carbonation does also change the taste. The more carbed a beer is, the more the perceived bitterness will be for example. A low carbed beer tastes different from the same beer carbed on the high side. Thats why various styles of beers are carbed at different levels.

WOW! Interesting!! The Mr. Beer brew book says NOTHING about carbing for the style of beer! Is only for the size of the bottle. Is there a reference for this?

Thanks guys! I'll for sure let it room condition for another month and try one again and see how much the taste has changed. Maybe that will be my routine every month.

Screwy Brewer has a carbonation calculator. TastyBrew.com has one. I've used beer recipator. You can google carbonation calculators and find others as well.

+100 on

I try to go a good 6 months.

Every stout that I made from MR B kits need that much time to condition. To me their kits had a sulfur taste to them that needed to condition out. I too have noticed that a beer tastes different after bottling.

With the carbing I prefer natural carbing to the forced carb. I like the softness that natural carbing lends to the brew. Forced carbing seems to have a sharper and harsher profile.

One thing to remember some beers are better warmer.

I love my Weizenbock around 40-50*F if colder the flavor is not as good (more dull).

I keep them at 48*F in my cooler and drink right from there, or if in fridge I remove from fridge for 15-20 min then open and pour in room temp glass