Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest System Admin

Imperial Pilsner Mr. Beer Seasonal - Brewed!

I have to say that I'm very intrigued to taste one of these early next week when my conditioning time is over and I'm back home.

I'm very impressed as to how vigorous of a fermentation I'm having with the 34/70 yeast. It is day 4 at 50 F for me, and it doesn't seem to be slowing down.

"Trollby" post=257747 said:

This is from the Saflager yeast, one of the things many lager brewers don't like about Saflager is the sweetness

I just went back though my brewing log notes, last years spring Maibock used S-23. I thought it was very good but my notes said it was better after more conditioning (which is most aways the case anyways) I used 34/70 on a OVL that I thought was one of the best beers I'd made, atleast up to that time, and that also had a fairly long conditioning time. So I'm thinking that this will be more to my liking in another month, it is quite cool in my basement now with the heat turned off.

Guest System Admin

"berryman" post=257921 said:

"Trollby" post=257747 said:

This is from the Saflager yeast, one of the things many lager brewers don't like about Saflager is the sweetness

I just went back though my brewing log notes, last years spring Maibock used S-23. I thought it was very good but my notes said it was better after more conditioning (which is most aways the case anyways) I used 34/70 on a OVL that I thought was one of the best beers I'd made, atleast up to that time, and that also had a fairly long conditioning time. So I'm thinking that this will be more to my liking in another month, it is quite cool in my basement now with the heat turned off.

Like I said Many Lager brewers.

I personally like the Saflager, I am going to use the Bavarian on the next one just for comparing, but plan on using the W-34/70 for more beers

What would a standard ale yeast due to this brew, say s-05 or something else?

just wondering I still have another can to brew but the basement is allot warmer now.

"meenacta" post=258182 said:

What would a standard ale yeast due to this brew, say s-05 or something else?

just wondering I still have another can to brew but the basement is allot warmer now.

How warm is it in the basement? That makes a big difference.

"meenacta" post=258189 said:

about 68 degrees

In my opinion, 68 is too warm for a lager-like ale, if that's what you're trying to accomplish. If you ferment in the low 60s, up to about 65 or so with US-05 (a few degrees lower with Nottingham), it will ferment cleanly. It won't be a true lager, but it will be almost that clean.

At 68, your best bet would be something that is a bit more forgiving of warmer temperatures, like Cooper's, Munton's, S-33, etc. It would still have some ester production at that temperature, but one of those yeasts would be a better choice than something like US-05.

I used us-05 in my seasonal and I thought that it was very yummy. only a couple of quarts left. wish I would have gotten more! :gulp:

I have yet to sample my imp. pils but I do have another can and a empty LBK, so I got to thinking(i know thats a dangerous thing)Do you thing this brew would be good has a"black imp. pils" maybe steep some roasted flavor into it? just a thought.

It's an interesting thought, Dylalex.

I would think you would want to taste it straight up before making any changes to it, just to have a better idea what those changes might do to the flavor profile.

By all means, keep us posted as you progress throught it!

I had not planned on opening my first bottle until the twentieth, but .... well I got impatient. So about five minutes ago I opened a Bottle. HOLLY S#@T I did it I made good beer. This is by far the best batch I have ever made. (granted that the previous batches I rushed and didn't take that much care in brewing) I can tell that a couple more weeks of conditioning will help, but this tastes like REAL beer. Very cool I made something I can be proud of cant wait to share it with family and friends. ( They are going to have to wait another week or so for it to be just right though)

Time was up so I cracked one tonight Poured very clear but darker than I expected. I think of a typical pilsner with a SRM in the 3-5 range and this looked more like a pale ale. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Aroma - very fruity, but light. Not overpowering or 'in yo face' at all.

Taste - smooth and easy with a fruity finish. Interesting. Again, not a complaint. I have no experience with Imperial Pilsners so really didn't know what to expect but it's definitely not a typical pilsner with noble hops.

It's not quite as crisp and light as I would have liked, but I figured that would be the case because my FG was 1.018 IIRC so I knew it would have a bit more body than it probably 'should'.

All in all - a good beer. It's definitely different than anything in my pipeline/rotation right now so it's a nice change to have in the mix.

I took a few first pour pics but they are +4MB and imageshack won't upload files that big so I need to try something else to get them uploaded.

Everyone who tried mine (most are homebrewers) said the same thing, that it's darker than they expected.
My wife really likes them and put either a bit of orange or lemon in it. I'm not into pilsner but this one is pretty good for that type of beer.
Not many left now.

That's my experience with it as well...darker than I thought it would be with some fruitiness that I didn't expect.

Good beer though.

I had my first two of my Imperial Pilsner Seasonal last nite.

D-freakin-licious. And, I lagered at room temp ....

Ferment was at the correct range for the lager yeast, though.

Another winner. Thanks, MrBeer

"ranamy" post=256640 said:

[attachment=7877]043.JPG[/attachment]

HELP!!! :)

Got a late start on the IP but am unsure as to whether or not to D-rest, or to give the LBK a few more days.

I've been at about 48* now for 21 days. Just took a sample and got a reading of 1.020 after a starting read of 1.062. Sample was very cloudy and trubby.

What say ye?

OK!

I put the LBK back in the controlled fridge at about 50* for another 4-5 days then did a d-rest for two days last weekend. Then back in at about 50* until tonight....all total about 5 weeks in the LBK.

Took a sample and got a reading of 1.013. So even though it is still a bit cloudy, am bottling tonight.

Question is, should I room temp bottle since i d-rested for a couple days? Was thinking I'm room temp (68-72)carb a week and then go cold?

Any suggestions?

Will this brew clear up more? I did taste test and it was good cloudy or not!

Thanks!

"Kealia" post=259789 said:

Here's the first pour of mine:

vader.jpg

very nice!

ranamy...you should probably let it carb for at least a week at room temp, then back to the cold room. I actually let mine carb for two weeks and its been back in the cold room for almost 3 weeks now. I've had a couple of them and they are fantastic.

It will clear up significantly in the bottles.

Good luck!

"manosteel9423" post=260652 said:

ranamy...you should probably let it carb for at least a week at room temp, then back to the cold room. I actually let mine carb for two weeks and its been back in the cold room for almost 3 weeks now. I've had a couple of them and they are fantastic.

It will clear up significantly in the bottles.

Good luck!

will do steel, thanks! I'm gonna give'em at least a week at 70, then back in the cooler as you said, for at least 4 weeks. Delayed gratification is a wonderful thing....glad to hear you have have had great results!

:drinking:

Mine have been carbing in the bottle for two weeks as of today. When I get home I'm sticking them in the lagerator for 4 weeks.

Guest System Admin

Mine are almost gone.

Last two week-ends guests really did a number on my Imp. Pilsner and the Maibock.

I was planning on making a second batch this last weekend but with Mothers-day and Repeating my Vows with my wife this coming Sunday I have been swamped with details (and lighter in the wallet)

Can I just say that this is one of the more interesting beers I've made so far.

About two weeks ago, I tried it for the first time and reported about it having an almost sweetness to it. On Saturday, I put two more bottles in the fridge and I drank them last night and it was a completely different beer!! I had to check the label to make sure I was drinking the right beer.

Last night is had no residual sweetness to it that I could detect and it was much hoppier than the first time around. It wasn't in IPA territory, but it had a nice hop "bite" to it.

For me, it was MUCH better last night than it was a couple of weeks ago, but it just seems odd for a beer to change so much so quickly.

Man I LOVE this hobby!!

"manosteel9423" post=260916 said:

Can I just say that this is one of the more interesting beers I've made so far.

About two weeks ago, I tried it for the first time and reported about it having an almost sweetness to it. On Saturday, I put two more bottles in the fridge and I drank them last night and it was a completely different beer!! I had to check the label to make sure I was drinking the right beer.

Last night is had no residual sweetness to it that I could detect and it was much hoppier than the first time around. It wasn't in IPA territory, but it had a nice hop "bite" to it.

For me, it was MUCH better last night than it was a couple of weeks ago, but it just seems odd for a beer to change so much so quickly.

Man I LOVE this hobby!!

Steel,

How long did you cold lager?

Mine are undergoing the first week of carbing at about 68* I'll give'em two weeks like that then at least 4 at cooler temps. Should be ready just in time for vacation July 4th week I'm hoping! :cheers:

ranamy...I am patently impatient! Haha. I carbed for 2 weeks at 70*, then into the cold room at 58* before cracking the first one about 10 days later. Then I'm trying one ever couple of weeks after that. I like to see the progression at this early stage in my brewing career.

I cracked one of these open last weekend(a little premature) I really wasnt that impressed. Then I opened one last night, WOW a completely different beer. The hops really came out, its amazing what changes can occur within a week.

I have 4 liters left but am saving much of it for my wife as that's the only beer I've made that she will drink (cough-wine snob-cough). I did bottle up Witty Monk that I hope she'll drink because I don't want it but I have mentioned many times how surprised I was at how good the beer is. It's still at 50 degrees and I put it in the 'main' refrigerator a day or two before since she likes her beers very cold. After 9 weeks, I stopped noticing any changes. Clear, crisp and maltier than I expected as well as darker than I expected.

"Dylalex" post=261652 said:

I cracked one of these open last weekend(a little premature) I really wasnt that impressed. Then I opened one last night, WOW a completely different beer. The hops really came out, its amazing what changes can occur within a week.

EXACTLY!!! :lol:

I let mine carb for almost two weeks @65 than to the fridge.
Tried first one at two weeks in fridge not bad maybe could have carbed
some more. Slight red color and a little bite. This past weekend two weeks later and still in the fridge , They were much darker in color nice Hopp flavor I drank four while in the pool after mowing the yard. Very tasty indeed I'm glad I stiil have one more to brew wish I had more. B)

Brewed this last night finally, but thank you for the info in the thread, it came in handy in the process guys!

Mine has been in the bottle for 3 months now and it's getting REALLY good.

Don't be afraid to be patient with this one.

Guest System Admin

I have 2 bottles left, next batch (Bohemian Imperial Pilsner) is in the Fermentor for a little over 1 week

"Beer-lord" post=269685 said:

Where ya been Matt? Hiding or hoarding beer?

Haha both, I managed to myself to the point where I have maybe 6-7 different brews done, and with the newborn stop brewing a while to leave my sched open for family stuff (mainly diapers) haha

today is 6 months and everything is a new normal so I'm back to brewing. Bottling two types tonight and have 2 more ready for a brew day here soon.

I can't believe I did this... lol...

So for whatever reason on my 2nd batch of I.P. I bottled em up and set them to cold condition.... in the fridge. 8 weeks later I'm looking at them like what the hell was I thinking. What the heck do I do now?

"USMCMatt" post=282150 said:

No clue, I'm consumed by fear, I'll let you know tonight

Never fear, it's beer!

"mashani" post=282165 said:

"USMCMatt" post=282150 said:

No clue, I'm consumed by fear, I'll let you know tonight

Never fear, it's beer!

HOLLLLLLLY SHIT that was one great beer! I'm going to give it another 2 weeks but hot damn!

Excellent. Beer has a way of becomming beer regardless of humans trying to interfere with the process LOL.

I bottled mine July 6th, put in fridge 2 weeks later, had a few since then, you guys are right, this is a very good beer!!! Got 18 left, gonna savor these babies. Hope the old premium 2 can version Czech Pils comes out as good as this, the only 2 beers I've used lager yeast with so far.

EMERGENCY

STOP THREAD

I'm down to 8 beers left, football sunday came out of nowhere and my fridge was attacked!!!

What to do! lol

"USMCMatt" post=284709 said:

EMERGENCY

STOP THREAD

I'm down to 8 beers left, football sunday came out of nowhere and my fridge was attacked!!!

What to do! lol

Make more beer!

"USMCMatt" post=284709 said:

EMERGENCY

STOP THREAD
I'm down to 8 beers left, football sunday came out of nowhere and my fridge was attacked!!! What to do! lol

That IS A SERIOUS DRINKING PROBLEM!!!!!!!!! AAAARRRGGGHHHHH

What Mashani said!!!

Has anyone tried brewing this with a liquid yeast? I was getting ready to brew this tonight and noticed that my 34/70 yeast is expired, so I'm planning on picking up some Wyeast tomorrow.

"losman26" post=302502 said:

Has anyone tried brewing this with a liquid yeast? I was getting ready to brew this tonight and noticed that my 34/70 yeast is expired, so I'm planning on picking up some Wyeast tomorrow.

I think the found that "brewing" with liquid yeast tends to kill the yeast and make it only good for yeast food. Try brewing the beer without the yeast and then, once cooled, THEN add the yeast.

J/K..boil up some DME/LME and do a proof of the yeast to see if it's still actualy alive. Go from there.

Guest System Admin

How far past is the W-34/70?

I did it with Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager.

Turned out a lot "cleaner" than the dry yeast.

But the Saflager (S-23 & W-34/70) tend to leave the beer slightly sweeter and I like that.

But the 2124 worked really well.

If your yeast is not too far over expired try rehydrate, not just dump and aerate

"losman26" post=302502 said:

If you go with liquid yeast, make sure to make a starter.

"Trollby" post=270770 said:

I have 2 bottles left, next batch (Bohemian Imperial Pilsner) is in the Fermentor for a little over 1 week

I've brewed this twice. Without a doubt my favorite Mr beer recipe ever! Clean hoppy crisp. Only one problem at 2 gallons goes way to fast. Soooo, Add 1lb dme a mexican cervesa and my last can of Imp Pils. throw in some saaz for flavor and we have a slightly lighter 5 gallon batch? Or I destroyed a really good beer..... Time will tell.
My only real worry is I really under pitched. Used the original 34/70 the can came with, it's been in the veggie drawer for a year now, but was dated 6/13. No activity for about 20 hours. But I've read that this yeast can have a 2 day lag. pitched it dry becuase I wanted to duplicate the way I brewed the last time because it came out so well. pitched at 66deg. down to 48-50 within 24 hours to reduce need for a D-rest. I guess if I don't get activity in a couple days I'll get some fresh yeast and make a starter and repitch. :sweat:

Bubbling away! Yeah! 1/29