Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Header75

New Mr. Beer Spigot?

Do you guys know if the new spigot comes with all kits now or when you order a an extra LBK? thanx.....wanna make sure before I place my order.

I'm fairly certain the new tap is an 'upgrade' accessory. The LBK's will continue to sell with the original tap.

I would ask customer service. I was told that the new spigot is replacing both the old standard and locking spigots...but I don't know when the transition will be complete.

Guest System Admin

I am kinda bummed about new spigot, they went back to only one (1) gasket.

I really think the two gasket (one on each side) should be the norm, especially with the upgrade spigot

TNT wrote:

I'm fairly certain the new tap is an 'upgrade' accessory. The LBK's will continue to sell with the original tap.

That I think would be a rip-off.....why not just include it already.

Trollby wrote:

I really think the two gasket (one on each side) should be the norm, especially with the upgrade spigot

You have the gasket from the original tap? Just say'n. ;)

Header75 wrote:

TNT wrote:

The locking spigot was always an upgrade. Nothing changed in that respect.

Trollby wrote:

FWIW, I have always only used one gasket (outside of keg) with the locking spigots, and I have never had any leaks. I went to the one gasket method because I didn't like the idea of exposing my wort to a rubber gasket for 2-3 weeks at a time. I'm sure it's no big deal, but the one gasket works for me.

Header75 wrote:

TNT wrote:

I hear you......but still think it's a rip off.

According to the customer service rep I chatted with, you will also need to buy an adapter (not yet available) if you want to attach the bottling wand to the new spigot. The original locking spigot worked without an "adapter".

Im sure there is some diameter tube that will work with the new spigot, but I could not get a straight answer on that.

packerduf wrote:

Trollby wrote:

FWIW, I have always only used one gasket (outside of keg) with the locking spigots, and I have never had any leaks. I went to the one gasket method because I didn't like the idea of exposing my wort to a rubber gasket for 2-3 weeks at a time. I'm sure it's no big deal, but the one gasket works for me.

+1 here, but I am only using one gasket because I don't know any better - Duh :blink: !

My answer to the "adapter" problem is going to be to take the new spigot with me to the LHBS and find one that fits it (unless the tubing I already have does, which would be ideal).

Guest System Admin

I'm thinking that most likely what is going to happen is that they will not just throw away all current stock of old standard spigots, but simply ship LBK's with them until they're all gone.

Then they will begin shipping LBK's with the new ones.

Nobody can possibly predict exactly when they will sell and ship the last old spigot in inventory.

That's my humble opinion, based on nothing more than gut instinct and common sense. ;)

SmokeDiver3zero wrote:

packerduf wrote:

Trollby wrote:

+1 here, but I am only using one gasket because I don't know any better - Duh :blink: !

I'm actually also only using a gasket on the outside with my locking spigots, and I've never had leaks either.

packerduf wrote:

Trollby wrote:

I got tired of waiting for the new spigots to become available. So I ordered a couple spigots from Northern Brewer. I had to drill the LBK out with a step bit to make to make them fit. But they had the two rubber gaskets. I used both, one on the inside and one on the outside. Then after I had my Wicked Monk in the fermentor, I started thinking about the rubber gasket inside the LBK. Oh well, too late to worry about it now! Guess I'll just have to wait and see if it effects the brew's taste.

The rubber gasket is food grade same as the gaskets on the swing-top bottles.

Heck the plastic from the LBK gives off more than small gasket would.

Worked in HVAC for years and several food applications rubber gaskets are used EPA tested and safe.

Joechianti wrote:

I'm thinking that most likely what is going to happen is that they will not just throw away all current stock of old standard spigots, but simply ship LBK's with them until they're all gone.

Then they will begin shipping LBK's with the new ones.

Nobody can possibly predict exactly when they will sell and ship the last old spigot in inventory.

That's my humble opinion, based on nothing more than gut instinct and common sense. ;)

I think you're correct. I would also wager a bet that this is why we keep seeing all of those woot.com deals over the last few months. Clearing out the old stock I imagine... just my two cents.

tspeary wrote:

According to the customer service rep I chatted with, you will also need to buy an adapter (not yet available) if you want to attach the bottling wand to the new spigot. The original locking spigot worked without an "adapter".

Im sure there is some diameter tube that will work with the new spigot, but I could not get a straight answer on that.

Guess I'll be holding off on getting spigots and bottling wand.

I came across a Mr Beer blog on the web for replacing the plastic spigot with the following 1/4 turn angle valve (plumbing supply house carries this)...here are the specifics for changing it out and being able to use the bottling wand:

1/4 turn angle valve - 5/8" OD x 3/8" OD
metal washer - 13/16" ID
3' to 4' length of 3/8" OD with 1/4" ID vinyl tubing
1/2" length of 7/16" OD with 5/16" ID vinyl tubing cut into 1/4" lengths
Using the original rubber washer from the MB fermenter spigot

this way you can attach the vinyl tubing to the new valve and have it transfer the primary into a secondary for clearer bottling...at worst case, just use the valve to pour into bottles with greater ease. TIA & good luck

I worry about stuff in prolonged contact with my food/drink that isn't designed for it, though, which is why I skipped the plumbing supply mods. My LBK leaked a bit for a couple of days with the basic spigot. I'm hoping the replacement spigot with one gasket doesn't leak, but if all else fails, yeah, I'll just use the one from the original and the one from the new locking spigot :-P

Just got my second keg today, ordered it 4-5 days ago.

It came with the new spigot assembly, as listed on the "Replacement Parts" page.

So, yes, kegs are coming with new spigots.

Abqu wrote:

It came with the new spigot assembly, as listed on the "Replacement Parts" page.

Well... there you have it.

I humbly stand corrected! :blush:

Well, I'm impressed with the way they handled release of the new spigots. Nobody's perfect. But I look at it like this:

They been selling up all the LBK's with old spigots really cheap and now they're shipping out with much better spigots. That leaves buyers of the old ones a little money to upgrade if they feel like it. Like when you sell a house and give the buyer an allowance for replacing carpets that you realize are ready to be replaced.

I think it's a sign of a good company. In fact, I'm gonna post this same comment in the customer service thread, too.

Last week, I ordered a new LBK and two new spigots, one for my old LBK, and one for my new one. I guess I will have a spare... We'll see tomorrow when they arrive.

+ 1 To the single washer on the outside... That's how the LBK's Originally shipped to me... Both in the original kit and as an accessory LBK order... old Spigot and One Gasket Washer...

No leaks though... Ever!

Just ordered and recieved TWO new LBK's ( received today ) and they had the new spigot and single gasket inside... I don't use a bottling wand so no biggie to me...

But If it helps anyone else out... I tried the tubing I use for the Auto Siphon and it is a perfect fit to the stub on the new spigot... So if your bottling wand fits the same diameter of tubing, you will be good to go!

:)

Can't speak for the MB spigots... I never used them. I switched over to a custom stainless setup before I started.

Had I received my lbks with the new valve they're offering I think I may not of even thought of replacing it... The old style was just was too Jimmy rigged looking.

I received the new spigot last year as a test from Eric and have been using it ever since. The nut has a wider flat surface to eliminate the need for an inner gasket. I like it better than the previous locking spigot, and just ordered another one. However, I would not worry about the inner gasket. I used that one for over a year with no affect on beer flavor. I think the new spigot is less likely to clog based on its design.

docpd wrote:

I received the new spigot last year as a test from Eric and have been using it ever since. The nut has a wider flat surface to eliminate the need for an inner gasket. I like it better than the previous locking spigot, and just ordered another one. However, I would not worry about the inner gasket. I used that one for over a year with no affect on beer flavor. I think the new spigot is less likely to clog based on its design.

It seems like it's a ball valve design instead of a globe valve. That way the beer will have a straight shot out of the lbk.

Got mine in and I'm not sure what the talk was about not being able to fit tubes, it fits my standard tube perfectly and is obviously meant to connect that way.

34324o.jpg

343o.jpg

Abqu wrote:

I as well got the new spigots with my two new kegs.

SmokeDiver3zero wrote:

Just wanted everyone to know that they do come apart for cleaning
and sanitizing

MBspigt-20120215.jpg

Thanks! Very nice to hear that. I tried to pull it apart, but I was afraid I would break it, so I stopped short.

SmokeDiver3zero wrote:

and sanitizing

MBspigt-20120215.jpg

So does it just twist and pull apart or is there a trick to it?

Boe1971 wrote:

SmokeDiver3zero wrote:

and sanitizing

MBspigt-20120215.jpg

Pull straight up. If mg every, wiggle it back and forth a little.

Yes! Finally! Someone posted how to take these damned things apart!!! Thanks SmokeDiver!

SmokeDiver3zero wrote:

and sanitizing

MBspigt-20120215.jpg

USMCMatt wrote:

Got mine in and I'm not sure what the talk was about not being able to fit tubes, it fits my standard tube perfectly and is obviously meant to connect that way.

For the newbie's or at least this newbie....

When you say standard tube, that means 1/2? or 5/8?

Thanks

Sam

bpgreen wrote:

Boe1971 wrote:

SmokeDiver3zero wrote:

and sanitizing

MBspigt-20120215.jpg

Pull straight up. If mg every, wiggle it back and forth a little.

Damn auto correct. I wonder what mg every was supposed to be.

Maybe necessary?

KokomoSam wrote:

USMCMatt wrote:

For the newbie's or at least this newbie....

When you say standard tube, that means 1/2? or 5/8?

Thanks

Sam

I'd like to know as well, in addition will the bottling wand need a tube or will it work with the new tap?

A 3/8" ID tube will fit both the new spigot and the bottling wand. I have a small 2" section that just acts as a sleeve between the two.