Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ekirch

Kit advice

Need some advice. . . . I'm new to the hobby and started brewing with a mr beer kit. I just bottled my first batch and am impatiently waiting. Anyway, my wife noticed that I've really been enjoying this new hobby and went to the LHBS to get a refill and walked out with a brewers best kit. She was told that the brewers best kit would produce more consistent results. However, looking through the brewers best kit, it seems much more complicated. Features that I liked of mr beer is that is seems less complicated and only brews 2gallons at a time (as opposed to five gallons)-that way I can brew more often and try different recipes because it won't take me as long to get through each batch. Anyway, I'm more inclined at this point to stick with mr beer and see where that takes me. . . . . Or is that just crazy talk?

Get a few more brews under your belt, get to feeling comfortable and read up on things, ask questions here and then come back to the kit when you feel more confident.

I'll take your kit off your hands. :)

But, if you feel overwhelmed by the hop boils and grain steeps then stick with the extract brewing for a little while so you get a handle on the kind of ingredients you like and such.

You can brew anything consistently just by being consistent with your brews. Keep a log book. ;)

If it's going to be a while before you brew the Brewer's Best Kit, I would recommend taking the hops and yeast out of the box and place them in the fridge. That will keep 'em fresh.