Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
High Country

New brewer intro /w question

First post and 1st batch brewer. Got the Mr. Beer kit for Xmas as ive wanted to try homebrewing for long time and im sure my wife got sick of hearing it. First batch im trying is WCPA which is currently on bottle carb day 4 and everything seems to be going good. Ive also officialy gotten addicted to a new hobby and as these forums seem very informative i will be using them often. My question is i went to my LHBS to pick up a few things and one thing i purshased was a bag of Muntons CarbTabs to make bottle priming easier(will be trying batch priming in the future). The recommended dosage on the bag reads as follows: 5 tabs per 12 oz/350 ml bottle for high carbonation, 4 tabs for normal or 3 tabs for light. I am new to this but to me it seems a high dosage. Anyone with knowledge and/or experience with this your input would be appreciated.

If you have 12oz bottles then use 4 for most of them and have one or two each with 3 and 5 so you can try the different carbonation levels.

Now granted I am a total newbie to brewing (though not to enjoying!) but I would have to say that it is definitely a matter of opinion. That said you should be aware that over carbonating can make for a diminished taste, the bubbles just overpower it! I had that happen with my first Mr Beer batch, and later found that many others did as well as the instructions lead you to over-prime.
Unless you want a really fizzy beer I probably wouldn't go past the "normal" level as stated by your instructions. Personally I like lighter carbonation.

I definitely agree with Vance though, try a few different levels out, especially if you are unsure about how much carbonation you like in a beer.

JonEleven wrote:

you should be aware that over carbonating can make for a diminished taste, the bubbles just overpower it!

Over carbing can make for a mess when open'd up, or giving it that *soda pop* feel, but most importantly, over carbing makes for bottle bombs. Not a good idea, unless that's your intentions.

I went with Mr. Beer carbonation levels, and it is a bit too carbonated for me. I may drop mine down just a bit. I like the idea of do a few with different levels and label them. Then you can find what you like.