Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
manosteel9423

Looking for some advice (Shameless Stout Variation

I'm still pretty new to this, but I'm a big fan of stout beers, so I don't want to mess this one up. I have ordered the Shameless Stout recipe from MRB and was planning to also add a can of the Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout HME to ramp it up a bit. Here is what the recipe would look like:

1 Can St. Patrick's Irish Stout HME
1 Can Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout HME
1 Can Creamy Brown UME
1 Pouch Booster™
1 Packet Safale S-04 Ale Yeast

I figured I had better do a bit better than the standard MRB yeast, so after some research I decided to go with the S-04.

Does anybody have any suggestions about this? Is the Sticky Wicket a bad idea? Should I avoid the booster if using another HME? Maybe replace the booster with a different adjunct?

I'm really just looking for some ideas from the more experienced guys in here. I don't think I'm ready for anything like a hop boil yet, but I'm certainly very open to suggestions!!

Thanks,
Mano

I have one more question, if anybody is kind enough to answer it...with a stout, am I looking at a longer fermentation and conditioning time? The instructions say a minimum of two weeks to ferment and 4-6 weeks to condition, which is what I would normally do, but is two or three times what MRB usually recommends.

Should I take that to mean I should double or triple my regular times? Should I go four weeks in the LBK and 2 or 3 months to condition?

It should be done fermenting within 2 to 3 weeks. I usually let my brews go for a full 3 weeks just to make sure they are done.

As far as bottle conditioning goes your looking at 2 months for a green beer and 6 months for a great beer. I have found stouts (which are my favorites) taste better after the longer conditioning. Since this is your first, put a bottle in the fridge at 2 months and chill it for a couple days and try it. Keep doing this every couple of weeks and you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about. The beer will be good a 2 months but I think you'll find that the last couple of beers you have are the best!! Good Luck and let me know how it turns out!! :) :chug:

Thanks k9! What do you think of the recipe with the two different HMEs? As a stout guy, do you think the flavors will clash at all, or should I get a nice mixture? Also, any suggestions for what to do with the booster...use, replace with another adjunct, take out completely?

IDK about mixing the two different ones, if you want to know for sure contact the Mr Beer customer service. Their super nice people and they know all their products really well so they can tell you if they are going to clash. If you don't want to call customer service I say go for it! I think about the only difference between the 2 is one has oatmeal and the other doesn't, but I don't know this for sure, I'm just guessing. ;)

As far as the booster goes, you have enough extract going in that it shouldn't be a problem. Some people on here don't like the booster but I really don't mind it at all and think it's a great way to boost ABV. So I say keep it in. :)

Just wondering if you've used Qbrew to plug in all the ingredients? I've been looking at a bunch of different recipes and plugging in the the information into Qbrew to see what the profile is like. I'm finding quite helpful to determine the OG/FG and ABV % of brews that I am interested in.

I played around a little with your recipe, both with and without the booster. Based on a 2.13 gal batch with booster your ABV would be about 8.0% with a FG of 10.21 which seems a little heavy to me, without the booster it would be about 5.9% and FG of 1.015 which seems more inline with other stouts I have been looking at.

Maybe some of the brewmasters here could chime in with their thoughts on this.

That's a great point, Louie, thanks! I hadn't thought of Qbrew. The numbers with the booster do seem a bit heavy for what I was hoping to accomplish, but the other way might be a bit light.

Maybe I should look at using half a package of the booster, or a half a cup of brown sugar or some other adjunct to find some middle ground?

manosteel9423 wrote:

That's a great point, Louie, thanks! I hadn't thought of Qbrew. The numbers with the booster do seem a bit heavy for what I was hoping to accomplish, but the other way might be a bit light.

Maybe I should look at using half a package of the booster, or a half a cup of brown sugar or some other adjunct to find some middle ground?

Glad I could help!

You might also want to look at the St Patrick Stout Recipes on the Mr. Beer site. Specifically at the Russian Imperial Stout recipe and see if that might be what you're looking for.

So, I brewed this beer last night (I did substitute a half a cup of brown sugar for the booster). I'm having trouble keeping the temperature down, though! I currently have it in a cooler with ice packs around it and its still sitting at 74*. I pitched a full 11.5oz of S-04 English Ale Yeast that has an ideal temp range of 64-72*, so I'm a bit concerned. I can actually feel the heat coming off the LBK! There is a ton of krausen and lots of activity, but if it takes a day or two for that temp to come down below the 72* max will it be a problem?

Took a gravity reading tonight...1.022...guess it still has a bit to go before I bottle it. Target is 1.017 as my OG was 1.066. I don't expect to hit my FG on the nose, but my understanding is that anything above 1.020 is too early.

Now, I drank the sample and it had quite the alcohol taste to it! This one will take a while to condition I suspect!!

I'll give it a few more days, then run another sample...

manosteel9423 wrote:

Took a gravity reading tonight...1.022...guess it still has a bit to go before I bottle it. Target is 1.017 as my OG was 1.066. I don't expect to hit my FG on the nose, but my understanding is that anything above 1.020 is too early.

Now, I drank the sample and it had quite the alcohol taste to it! This one will take a while to condition I suspect!!

I'll give it a few more days, then run another sample...

Keep in mind that it's not unusual for a stout to have a FG about 1.020. It's also fairly common for your FG to vary from the ideal FG by 5 to 6 points. I would take another sample now (since it's been 24+ hours) and if it's the same as the last it's ready to bottle.

As far as conditioning, I found 3 to 6 months to be the best for most stouts. Your probably looking at June for an ealy beer and Septembe for a fully conditioned beer. What I would do since it's your first is try one every two weeks to get an idea of when you like it best.

Good luck dude and keep posting updates!! :)

Thanks k9! I wondered about the FG coming in a bit high maybe being normal. I had planned on waiting until Wednesday to take another reading, but maybe I will try again tonight. I'd like to get it in the bottles to keep myself on schedule with my other LBKs.

I am using 450mL swingtops to bottle them, so I'll only get 15-16 bottles out of this batch. I was planning to leave them at least 10 weeks before trying one but that wait is going to KILL me!!

Thanks again for your help!!

Well...took k9's advice and took another sample tonight. Same reading, so into the bottles it went! I used just under a 1/2 tsp of table sugar per 450mL swingtop bottle to prime, as per Screwy's calculator looking for 2.0 CO2 volume.

Its now boxed, labelled and in a dark room at about 68*F. Now, all I have to do is wait 3 months before I put one in the fridge!! DAMNIT this hobby is frustrating sometimes!!!

Well, I took more of K9's advice and tried one of these last night. Two weeks in the bottle at room temp and another 3 days in the fridge and WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!!

I knew it would be green, but this was awful stuff! Absolutely no carbonation and quite undrinkable. Think I'll leave it alone for at least another month before trying another bottle...lets hope it gets MUCH better with some age!

"manosteel9423" post=249833 said:

Well, I took more of K9's advice and tried one of these last night. Two weeks in the bottle at room temp and another 3 days in the fridge and WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!!

I knew it would be green, but this was awful stuff! Absolutely no carbonation and quite undrinkable. Think I'll leave it alone for at least another month before trying another bottle...lets hope it gets MUCH better with some age!

Don't lose faith bud! Stouts take longer to condition than most other beers so two weeks is way early. As far as carbonation it can take up to 4+ weeks for a stout to properly carb so don't fret. Wait another month (I know it's a long time) and try another bottle. Even then it will still be pretty green but you'll see a difference.

Dude you made beer and it's going to be good!! RDWHAHB!! :)

Haha...thanks k9! Its funny, when I first brewed this one, I had done enough research to know that it would take 3-6 months to condition, so I had set myself up to wait until June to drink it. I have plenty in the pipeline and really don't need to drink it, but I couldn't resist. Yesterday was my birthday and, taking your advice to try it at two weeks was just about too perfect to resist the early present!

Thankfully, I also had a dunkelweizen that was two weeks in the bottles that I tried last night and it was actually very, very good! Helped me keep the faith a bit! lol.

Funny how a beer that used just as much malt requires so much less time to be good...

Alright, so after another month or so, I threw another one of these in the fridge and...

YAY!! I have beer!! :banana:

[attachment=7834]P1060027.JPG[/attachment]

It didn't have the best head or retention, but the flavors had really melded together well and mellowed dramatically. This was a very tasty stout that I'm sure will get better with a bit more time. I guess its back to the closet for another 4 weeks or so...

I have been brewing stouts for the past year, and have found that the S-04 yeast produces less carbination/head than the s-05 yeast. It does get better with time, but I get less head retention and less pronounced flavor in the brew. I have used Booster in the past, but decided to switch to Breiss Dry Malt Extract instead, and have been quite happy. You can get a 3lb bag for around 12 bucks at your local home brew shop. If you like it, visit http://www.dmemart.com/purchase.php for bulk deals.

My recipe is as follows

2 cans sticky wicket HME
2 cups Oatmeal (boiled 5 min in hop bag then discarded)
2 cups Breiss Dark Dry Malt Extract
3 cups Dark Brown Sugar
2 Tblspoons Molasses
1 oz Fuggles Hops
Safale US-05 Dry Ale Yeast (whole package)

I let this brew for 4 weeks (I'm putting so much stuff in that it takes that long to brew) and then bottle.

At 2 weeks in the bottle it is fully carbed, but still green flavor wise

At 3 weeks in the bottle it's pretty good

At 4 plus weeks in the bottle it is great.

Thanks for the advice bgthigfist!

That certainly is alot of adjuncts with 3 cups of sugar and the molasses! OF course, you've got alot of malt too, so I guess it balances.

Can I ask what you do with the fuggles? I was thinking I would use them in my next stout, but wasn't sure how. Do you dry hop or boil? If you boil, how much and how long?

Thanks,
Mano

My recipe is a tweaked version of Mr Beer's recipe "The Dubliner"

https://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/774/nm/The_Dubliner_

The hops are put dry into a hop sack and tossed into the LBK right before yeast is added.

For this last batch, I bought a pound of Fuggles in bulk and divided it up.

http://www.hopsdirect.com/store/pellet-hops.html

The Mr Beer recipe asks for 1/2 oz per LBK. I upped it to 1 oz as an experiment.

That batch should be ready for tasting this weekend and I'll post how it turned out.