Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
piscator

Doubled up Vienna Lager

When I ran a batch of Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout last month it had two cans of HME.

I thinking of trying the same thing with Vienna Lager instead of using Booster...the goal being a unique Vanilla Cream ale (some adjuncts also).

Anybody ever tried two of those in one brew?

Keep in mind that the sticky wicket HMEs are intended to be used with two per batch. OVL HMEs are higher in IBUs because they're designed to have one per batch. 2 OVL cans will create a hoppy beer. That's not necessarily a bad thing just something to keep in mind.

What adjuncts are you planning to add?

I think I would balance that out a little with 3/4 ta 1 lb of amber DME. I would run it past QBrew to get the exact amount for a balanced or slightly hoppy brew.

I did 2 cans of it + booster and a little bit of finishing hops.

It would not win any contests for style, but I actually like it. It's a bit bitter, and would have been better with dme instead of booster, but I wanted to use the booser that came with the OVLs instead of chuck it, as I'm not into wasting stuff. The maltiness of the OVL does still come through.

The adjunct would be a "real" experiment. A teaspoon of SodaStream
Diet Cream Soda concentrate added with the teaspoon of sugar in each of the 16oz PET bottles. There is no sugar in that concentrate. That and maybe a half cup of molasses in the wort.

Probably end up pitching it all down the the drain, but that's what experiments are all about.

I'd leave out molassas. The thing most people dont' consider when adding things like Molassas is that all the sweetness is gone when it's done, and all you are left with is ironey bitterness. Which is nasty.

piscator wrote:

The adjunct would be a "real" experiment. A teaspoon of SodaStream
Diet Cream Soda concentrate added with the teaspoon of sugar in each of the 16oz PET bottles. There is no sugar in that concentrate. That and maybe a half cup of molasses in the wort.

Probably end up pitching it all down the the drain, but that's what experiments are all about.

I agree with mashani on leaving out the molasses. I think Booster is a better choice. But I'd probably only use one bag of it.

Since the soda concentrate is a diet, the sugars would be non fermentable, so it would add sweetness that would counter the additional bitterness from the extra HME. I'm not sure how the flavor would work in it, but if you think it would taste good, give it a try. It might take a long conditioning time for the flavors to really blend.

Okay, this experiment is underway.

Two cans of OVL
1 cup of Dark Brown Sugar
2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract

In the keg on March 28th. Should be around 5% ABV???

Batch prime when done with 2 TBS of SodaStream Diet Creme (vanilla) flavoring added to the chilled diluted priming sugar/water mix.

Like I said, might go down the drain instead of down the throat but sure sounds good to me.

Day two, there is a lot of activity in the keg at 70F. If it comes out good, I'll give it a name.