Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
hilkertj

Yeast mess up?

I was over zealous and on a roll mixing up my Premium (2 cans of HME) Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout tonight.

Everything was great until I pitched the yeast...I began stirring basically right away, then realized the instructions said wait five minutes! Is my batch hosed or do I just wait it out? :ohmy:

hilkertj wrote:

I was over zealous and on a roll mixing up my Premium (2 cans of HME) Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout tonight.

Everything was great until I pitched the yeast...I began stirring basically right away, then realized the instructions said wait five minutes! Is my batch hosed or do I just wait it out? :ohmy:

You should be fine. Did you stir vigorously enough yo work up a good froth?

bpgreen wrote:

You should be fine. Did you stir vigorously enough yo work up a good froth?

bp - yes I did. I frothed it up good! I was watching the Drew Vic's video on all malt brewing while I was mixing the batch. Thankfully, he totally stresses the "vigorously" point multiple times in the video.

Thanks for taking off the edge of my stress about the yeast! :)

MrBeer yeast is pretty forgiving, you should have a good fermentation going by the weekend.

btomlin75 wrote:

MrBeer yeast is pretty forgiving, you should have a good fermentation going by the weekend.

bt - thanks. Obviously, a newbie mess up. Guess I shouldn't drink while I brew. I got in the zone and then realized the mistake. I was focused on the proper temperature to pitch, and kept going. Thanks again. :drinking:

You will be fine - the temperature is probably much more important than letting the yeast rehydrate. And stirring vigorously will give them the oxygen they need. Probably wont even take much longer to get rolling.

Make sure to use a hydrometer to check your final gravity- and probably give it 3 weeks just to be safe.

Cheers
jeff

Yeast mess up update: All is well with the stout batch. Had some great yeast activity and already there is a lot of trub at the bottom of the LBK. Thanks to you all for the encouragement. :woohoo: