Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
iowabeerguy

Bunch Of Noob Questions!! Help The Beer Guy!

Greetings all! Venturing into the brew world...today LBK, tomorrow the world!

Had a bunch of questions and some recipe questions. Any help would be appreciated. Going to vertical taste my Cowboy Lager this weekend...may have messed it up by using reverse osmosis water.

Bottling Blond Ale this weekend, was much more intentional. 3 weeks in LBK at 66-64 degree temps. Bottling in half liter PETs using corn sugar...3/4 tablespoon I think is enough?

Thrown off today reading that I should be using more than one yeast packet. Going to remedy that with next batch:

Shameless Stout: Is there a better yeast to use with this than what it comes with? Going to go with using some dark brown sugar with this recipe. Any other good tweeks? Ferment time about 4 weeks and then lager for 3 months. Going to go glass bottles with this batch.

Finally, want to get a head start on some beers for summer and early fall. I love malty beers. Was thinking of going Defib Dopplebock for November. Anyone have a great Oktoberfest recipe? Nice Shandy style for summer or Witbier?

Thanks in advance for any help. It is all too exciting so far and my wife is already eying the credit card to make sure I don't rack the big bills!

-iowabeerguy

iowabeerguy wrote:

Greetings all! Venturing into the brew world...today LBK, tomorrow the world!

Had a bunch of questions and some recipe questions. Any help would be appreciated. Going to vertical taste my Cowboy Lager this weekend...may have messed it up by using reverse osmosis water.
You should be fine with RO

Bottling Blond Ale this weekend, was much more intentional. 3 weeks in LBK at 66-64 degree temps. Bottling in half liter PETs using corn sugar...3/4 tablespoon I think is enough?
Should be ok. You will know in a few weeks.

Thrown off today reading that I should be using more than one yeast packet. Going to remedy that with next batch:

Shameless Stout: Is there a better yeast to use with this than what it comes with? Going to go with using some dark brown sugar with this recipe. Any other good tweeks? Ferment time about 4 weeks and then lager for 3 months. Going to go glass bottles with this batch.
Haven't done this one, but use either 3 packs of the MB yeast or a pack of safale s-04.

Finally, want to get a head start on some beers for summer and early fall. I love malty beers. Was thinking of going Defib Dopplebock for November. Anyone have a great Oktoberfest recipe? Nice Shandy style for summer or Witbier?
The MB Witty Monk and German Hefeweizen are great summer/fall recipes. I'm sure others will add more.

Thanks in advance for any help. It is all too exciting so far and my wife is already eying the credit card to make sure I don't rack the big bills!

-iowabeerguy

Welcome to the obsession!!

Guest System Admin

First welcome aboard! Second, you should be good to go on bottling and not sure on the RO as I've never encountered that issue. I would definitely search for different yeasts. Since I read on here that fromunda yeast is not nearly enough on what I should be pitching I've switched it up. Wyeast makes the American Ale yeast that's a good "house yeast". Save up a few more fromunda yeasts and pitch three at a time or so.

Welcome!!!

Sounds like you are learning quickly from minor mistakes.

I haven't done the Shameless recipe, but just looked at it. I'd do it just as it is. It's already got a whole pouch of booster in it. Only change would be to use a whole pack (11.5gm.) of some better yeast. S-33 or S-04 would be good. Your fermentation temps. are good. 2-3 weeks in the keg is plenty. Get a hydrometer.