Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
d1st1nkt

Triple HME? Thoughts please...

I've considered getting into Home Brewing for some time, but have always had other things on my plate with no time/space (or so I thought) to do it either. Little did I know...ha! So I was gifted a keg and some starter HMEs and Boosters (1 WCPA, 2 HCCD, 2 WWW, 2 OVL to be exact)...now I'm really intrigued!

I've been reading all over the forums here to familiarize myself with the general process, guidelines, rules of thumb, etc., and what people have tried and what does/doesn't work, but I need some input on a proposed idea...

1 Can West Coast Pale Ale HME
1 Can High Country Canadian Draft HME
1 Can Octoberfest Vienna Lager HME
3 Packets Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of HMEs)
1 pouch Booster
1 cup honey

According to QBrew (if I input the data correctly):

OG: 1.092 --- FG 1.023
IBU: 48
SRM: 13
ABV: 8.9% (6% from 3 HMEs and 2.9 from Booster/honey)

I am trying to find a recipe without using any other HMEs, UMEs, DMEs, hops, or yeasts other than what I listed above. There is no LHBS near where I live, and don't have the means to order more at this time.

Any and all information is appreciated guys!

The IBUs are actually more like 67. I didn't use qbrew for that. I added the IBUs for each HME.

Since the honey and booster won't leave much sweetness, it's more hoppy than the bu: gu ratio would imply.

If you like really hoppy beers, that may be okay. I just wanted to point that out to you.

Well, you could mix all the together but the Mr. Beer HME extracts are made with different flavor profiles and the majority of the kits are not made to mix.
You double the same HME's like the Premium refills or add a can of UME but I don't think you will be happy at all mixing all 3 together.

Well, ok...that answers that.

I'm just trying to create something a little more complex than the single can flavors in my current situation not having any other additives.

I guess it looks like I'll have to wait until I can get my hands on some UMEs...

bpgreen wrote:

Since the honey and booster won't leave much sweetness, it's more hoppy than the bu: gu ratio would imply.

If you like really hoppy beers, that may be okay. I just wanted to point that out to you.

I'm not a huge fan of hoppy beers, no. Would adding sugar in place of the booster or honey work better to correct this? Or am I still at a lose with this 3 HME idea...lol.

d1st1nkt wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

I'm not a huge fan of hoppy beers, no. Would adding sugar in place of the booster or honey work better to correct this? Or am I still at a lose with this 3 HME idea...lol.

No. Sugar would ferment completely. You need something that had unfermentable sugars. Your best bet is malt. UME, DME or LME.

Ahh, I see. Thank you bpgreen!

I guess what I was after was something similar to this recipe..but no hops.
Fallen Friar:
2 Packets Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of HMEs)
1 Packet Sterling Pellet Hops
1 Muslin Hop Sack
1 Packet No-Rinse Cleanser

So if you take the hops out...would you recommend adding any sugar, honey, molasses to this mix? I'm still learning how these affect the beers flavor/bitterness/abv. And sorry if these questions seem...dull.

You could probably double up the HMEs rather than mixing different flavor profiles together. 2 of one HME and maybe some booster would probably be good but I havent done that with any of those flavors so I can't tell you how they turned out.

Cheers
jeff

If you haven't gone through the entire process of brewing, I'd suggest doing at least one basic run-through to familiarize yourself with the process. It won't make groundbreaking beer, but something like 1 HME and booster makes for a good, easy entrance into the methodology.

d1st1nkt wrote:

Ahh, I see. Thank you bpgreen!

I guess what I was after was something similar to this recipe..but no hops.
Fallen Friar:
2 Packets Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of HMEs)
1 Packet Sterling Pellet Hops
1 Muslin Hop Sack
1 Packet No-Rinse Cleanser

So if you take the hops out...would you recommend adding any sugar, honey, molasses to this mix? I'm still learning how these affect the beers flavor/bitterness/abv. And sorry if these questions seem...dull.

Adjuncts like sugar, honey, syrup, molasses, etc add little if anything to flavor. They ferment almost completely, so they thin the beer out.

I'm not a big fan of adjuncts. The only one I use is booster, and I use that sparingly.

I just made a beer with the HCCD and WWW + orange zest and corriander. I tasted it at bottling and it was awesome. no conditioned taste yet.