Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brian12069

Add coffee when bottling Black Tower Porter?

I'm bottling my Black Tower Porter in a week and I have been reading about adding coffee and vanilla extract to the bottles. I'm thinking about doing this to a couple of liters. Has anyone else added both when bottling and if so how much? It should make a nice vanilla coffee porter. I'm thinking about maybe a teaspoon or two of coffee and a quarter to a half teaspoon of vanilla extract. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

If you have never tried BTP on its own I highly recommend just doing the batch straight up...
To find the right amount for adding buy a porter and add a bit at a time till u get desired flavoring

I have yet to actually do this but the Eye Opener Sumatra Stout that I just started brewing calls for 1 shot (1.5 oz) of Strong Sumatra Espresso coffee per 1 liter bottle added at priming. Another recipe #29 Borg Chocolate Oatmeal Stout (BIAB) adds Vanilla 2.25 unit, Other, 1 TBSP per gallon at batch prime.

these might be a good guideline for your porter.

BTW, Welcome to the Borg!

:barman:

After reading this I am thinking 1.5 oz of brewed coffee and 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract per liter. Sound good?

Brian12069 wrote:

After reading this I am thinking 1.5 oz of brewed coffee and 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract per liter. Sound good?

The coffee sounds good but the vanilla tends to pretty strong since it is a concentrate. The Chocolate Stout recipe only calls for 1 TBSP per gallon which would be just over 6 tsp per LBK. I wouldn't put any more then a 1/2 tsp of vanilla maybe less per 1 liter bottle to start with. If you like it great if you feel it needs more you can add more when you do the next batch.

This actually sound pretty delicious! I just got done brewing my Black Tower Porter. The vanilla sounds like the perfect contrast to the darkness of the porter. Plus im a coffeehead so adding coffee just sounds good in general!

I did a Black Tower and used 6 oz of very strong coffee to dissolve my sugar to do a batch prime solution. Worked really well. Make sure that you like the taste of the coffee that you are adding. As to the vanilla, remember that there are fermentables even in extracts and they will effect priming if added just before bottling.

I agree with the comments on the amount of vanilla.

Might I suggest you get one or two store-bought porters and add a little vanilla to get a sense as to how much flavor a small amount of vanilla provides.

I have a batch of Black Tower that I started drinking this past week and added a little vanilla to a couple of the glasses. It was mighty good with the vanilla. I liked it at a littel less than 1/4 teaspoon / pint.

It turned out VERY VERY GOOD. I would highly recommend it. Another thing I would recommend is adding jack Daniels to the bottle when carbing. It was stellar! My best brew. Very suttle JD flavor but outstanding.