Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mmmmBeeeer

I did my first gluten free brew!!!

I was just winging it, I forgot to bring a recipe with me to the LHBS which isn't so local, its an hour away. So I just kinda threw this together. I figured I would start small and if it goes well I will ramp it up.

Batch size= 1 gallon

1.5 # sorghum LME? extract? whatever you want to call it.
2 cups honey
.5 package of Danstar windsor yeast
.25 oz Mt. Hood Hops
.5 oz dried sweet orange peel

OG= 1.071
FG= ???

Wish me luck. It's already fermenting quite rapidly. It smells great. Hopefully soon my girlfriend will be able to enjoy good brew too.

Guest System Admin

That is a lot of honey for the malt.

1 cup honey = 3/4# so your 2 cups makes 1.5# so 50% adjunct ratio

You will need to let this condition a long time unless you like sweet cider tasting beer. It will have some honey taste but I worry your a little too high on the ratio

Agreed, a little high on the adjuncts. I've never heard of sorghum LME, I hope it's not just a fancy name for sorgum syrup.

ok correction....I was being lazy and estimating the honey I used. It was actually 1/2 a pound. I just went and checked the bottle it came in. Does that sounds right for the size? Like I said, I was really winging it.

Guest System Admin

FrozenInTime wrote:

Agreed, a little high on the adjuncts. I've never heard of sorghum LME, I hope it's not just a fancy name for sorgum syrup.

Yes and No....

The Sorghum extract for brewing is different than the syrup you get at HFS or at the store.

As a grain-based syrup, it provides proteins and amino acids necessary for yeast nutrition, head retention and body along with color and flavor.
Its unique flavor is quite mild, allowing it to be used in any recipe as a unique liquid adjunct to boost initial gravities while increasing overall brewing capacity.
BriesSweet™ White Sorghum Syrup 45 High Maltose can be used for 100% extract brewing to produce sorghum beer or use it with concentrated worts to produce almost any beer style.

Why I like to use it with Rice solids or Rice syrup, seems to make a better beer

Guest System Admin

mmmmBeeeer wrote:

ok correction....I was being lazy and estimating the honey I used. It was actually 1/2 a pound. I just went and checked the bottle it came in. Does that sounds right for the size? Like I said, I was really winging it.

Seems off since you brewed about half the amount I did and I used double the ingredients and you got an OG 20 points higher

I'm really not sure why that would happen. I just checked my new hydrometer and it is dead on so it isnt that. It was good local honey, doubt that has anything to do with it. Who knows?