Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
USMCMatt

Collaboration Irish Red

The "Hat" found it fitting to hand me over to genotype and after several heated discussions and racial slurs we came back to the table and decided on brewing an Americanized Irish Red Ale using Cascade hops, steeping grains and LME, which everyone else here immediately copied and did as well, I still think we all need to send one bottle of our Reds to a judge.

This was a little bit beyond me putting together the ingredients list and pulling the whole thing together which genotype did wonderfully and I learned quite a bit from him and also resulted in my buying this awesome strainer!

IMG_2329.jpg

Of course though I can't crush my own grain like mnstarzz13 (showoff) but never the less I'm feeling pretty good about it.

genotype had to change his ingredients slightly due to the unavailability of 80L and some DME that we originally planned, I will be using a Northern Brewer LME that has some Carapils in it, so he was going to add 4oz to his I believe, and stuff that wasn't available to me at the time but I think we got pretty close, for those who care I'm sure genotype will post his working list.

2012-Collaboration
------------------
Brewer: genotype & USMCMatt
Style: Irish Red Ale
Batch: 2.25 gal

My Ingredients
-----------
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 11.4 %
8.0 oz Caramunich III (Weyermann) (51.0 SRM) Grain 11.4 %
13.6 oz Northern Brewer Gold Malt Syrup (4.0 SRM) Extract 71.6 %
0.25 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 11.5 IBUs
0.25 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6.9 IBUs
3 lbs 2.4 oz Northern Brewer Gold Malt Syrup [boil for 15 min](4.0 SRM) Extract 71.6 %
0.25 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 7.0 min Hop 3.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [124.21 ml] Yeast

Second Fermentation after 7 days, racking to another LBK
0.25 oz Cascade [6.20 %]

----------------------

HEY UPS IS HERE!

IMG_2318.jpg

HEY DAD WHATS IN THE BOX?!

IMG_2320.jpg

So much joy to unpack! Why is there so much packing material? It's good stuff to, I might actually reuse it, note the absence of packing peanuts

IMG_2325.jpg

IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2335.jpg

---------------------------------

Brew day/night is here, I put if off a day or two due to infant interruption and I had to get a Mead and Pale Ale brewed before this. Very excited to get it going, it's going to take a while so I better get stared! DAMMIT

IMG_2485.jpg

GET OUT OF MY BREWERY WOMAN! Oh you're making me dinner? Awwww nevermind, love you.

Ok let's get this show on the road!

IMG_2489.jpg

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2492.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

IMG_2494.jpg

IMG_2496.jpg

Just going to do a steep. 1.5 quarts water, heated to about 155/160. Kill the heat. Add the grains in a nylon bag to the heated water. Let sit for 30 minutes. This went pretty easy with an electric stove which surprised me. I though this was going to be a huge headache but I only needed to molest it a couple times and just slightly. I held at about 156 for pretty much to entire time. I didn't Steep this in the brew pot because it just didn't seem like enough water to really get the job done due to the width.

IMG_2499.jpg

Jesus this part is boring

IMG_2502.jpg

While waiting, heat an additional quart or so to about 160. After 30 minutes, remove the grain bag from the water and put it in a colander above the brew pot and slowly pour the additional quart of water evenly over it and let it drip into the pot. At this point, should have approx 1/2 gallon of wort. Add 3 gallons to bring pre-boil volume to approx 3.5 gallons and bring to a boil. Ok I should of used my propane burner, holy shit this takes forever to get to a boil.

IMG_2507.jpg

ok at this point using my indoor pot I realize I can't hold the full amount of water and was maybe behind 1/4 gallon. so during the first main 40 minute boil I added it back in after it boiled down a bit. I boiled up the remaining 1/4g and then dumped it in, figured it would be better doing it this way then just dumping straight wter into the LBK to match it up in the end if I had to.

IMG_2510.jpg

Kill the heat and stir in the 13.6oz DME and bring back to a boil, watching out for the hot break. Once boiling, add 1/4oz Cascade and boil for 40 minutes, then add 1/4oz Cascade and boil for 5 minutes. Kill the heat and add the 3.15lbs LME, stirring constantly to mix well and not let any settle on the bottom of the kettle. Bring back to a boil for 8 minutes, then add 1/4oz Cascade and boil for 7 minutes.

After 60 total minutes of boil, remove the hops and chill the wort as fast as you can down to pitching temps. "As fast as you can" my ass, this sucks... ordering a chiller today.

IMG_2513.jpg

IMG_2514.jpg

Xfr wort to LBK and aerate the crap outta it! But first from the O.G.

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

Thats a bit hotter then I was planning on, also I ended up at the level and I really was trying to hit under the Q so I did was I didn't want to do and added some water, it was much at all but I hated to do it.

IMG_2524.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg

Into the cooler with you!

IMG_2528.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

I think if I learned anything it's to spend more money to save time. This took several hours, but mainly it was just getting a electric stove to get back to boil after removing heat, and then cooling from 213oF to 70oF, using my gas burner and chiller would of saved a ton of time.

I felt really good about it and nothing really went bad at all, I wasn't expecting it to have the OG it did but no turning back now.

As always I'd love any comments or concerns. note the level marking on my sampler tube now... very proud of that.

Hey Matt, great job. I have to ask, do you write for a living? I bet you got in trouble at school but made A's on your Creative Writing classes. :laugh:
Never tried a NB kit, let me know what you think.

No but I write for a few blogs and my whole family minus myself is in News Media and write for a living, I just have a odd sense of humor and am a photographer by trade so I take pictures of everything.

Nice write up Matt! Highly recommend getting a chiller. I use an immersion style w/ a hose adapter. So much quicker. You definitely got a higher OG than me. I only hit 1.056.

What are your thoughts on my OG?

I'm thinking the malt extract is the issue or perhaps a water imbalance?

Man I'll try to get a decent photo of the Krausen buildup. It's really quite impressive, it hasn't blown off the cover (yet) but it solidly built up to the top of the LBK and has a small stream of deliciousness streaming down both sides of the LBK, it's not bubbly but a solid pact of foam, looks almost like that foam in place used in packaging, bahaha

What are you using for an air stone? I have that regulator from an old welding kit. I've long since moved up to a real oxy/acetylene set up so it is just sitting there.

USMCMatt wrote:

I'll admit to being lazy, but I don't want to reread the whole thing to find out what you're asking. I skimmed it and saw a comment that you didn't expect the OG you got, but I didn't see what you expected and what you got.

Could you tell us just that part here?

bpgreen wrote:

USMCMatt wrote:

I'll admit to being lazy, but I don't want to reread the whole thing to find out what you're asking. I skimmed it and saw a comment that you didn't expect the OG you got, but I didn't see what you expected and what you got.

Estimated OG (1.065) somewhere about 6% when done

Ended up with 1.075

USMCMatt wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

USMCMatt wrote:

Ended up with 1.075

You have the NB Gold ME 6lb jug, did you pour out in to a scale to get your 3lb 6.4oz listed in your recipe?

mnstarzz13 wrote:

USMCMatt wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

USMCMatt wrote:

Ended up with 1.075

You have the NB Gold ME 6lb jug, did you pour out in to a scale to get your 3lb 6.4oz listed in your recipe?

Good question. Keep in mind that oz and fl oz are different. If you measured the LME and used 16 fl oz for 1 lb, you used more than 3 lb 6.4 oz.

Another possibility is that you didn't get it thoroughly mixed and the sample you took came from part that was denser.

1.075 compared with 1.065 is quite a difference.

Yes I put my pouring container on the scale, zeroed, and then added 13.6oz and then the 3lbs 2.4oz

IMG_2505.jpg

Even dipped it in the water to make sure it was all used. I just assumed that 1lb was 16oz

So much for that theory.

The only other thing I can think of is that you measured the gravity without getting the wort completely mixed and you happened to get some that had more malt than the average. I can't imagine that the LME is significantly more concentrated than other extracts.

Your recipe in the op says 4oz of malt and 3lb 2.4oz of malt and then you show 13.6oz of hops so you got something mixed up

mnstarzz13 wrote:

Your recipe in the op says 4oz of malt and 3lb 2.4oz of malt and then you show 13.6oz of hops so you got something mixed up

Good catch. I noticed the two LME entries, but not the 13.6 oz of hops. I thought he used the smaller amount of LME for the boil, but now I don't think that's the case. In the narrative, there's a reference to 13.6 oz of DME.

That much extra malt would make a big difference.

Well I'm now renaming it to the "Malty Irish Red" it'll put hair on your nipples

8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 11.4 %
8.0 oz Caramunich III (Weyermann) (51.0 SRM) Grain 11.4 %
13.6 oz Northern Brewer Gold Malt Syrup (4.0 SRM) Extract 71.6 %
0.25 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 11.5 IBUs
0.25 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6.9 IBUs
3 lbs 2.4 oz Northern Brewer Gold Malt Syrup [boil for 15 min](4.0 SRM) Extract 71.6 %
0.25 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 7.0 min Hop 3.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [124.21 ml] Yeast

Second Fermentation after 7 days, racking to another LBK
0.25 oz Cascade [6.20 %]

there, type-o while I was writing this, I see what you were talking about, I think 13+ oz of hops would be a tad overkill for a 2.5 rec lol

Ok this pig is done... getting the temp back to what my first pitch was

IMG_2614.jpg

Ended up with a F.G. of 1.021

IMG_2616.jpg

GDAMN this this is delicious.. seriously, I'm not even going to bottle, just drink it flat out of the LBK.

Original Gravity (OG) 1.075
Final Gravity (FG) 1.021
ABV 7.1%

I was thinking about not batch bottling this and using conditioning drops instead using 2 for "normal carb" most reds I don't believe are ever really high or low.

Bottle this up last night (along with a Cascadian Pale Ale)

IMG_2622.jpg

sent everything to the bottling bucket, however this time I used conditioning tabs (4) and skipped batch bottling, I was suprised how much time I saved NOT batching, this was so much easier to do, and after hearing so many stories about carb inconsistency, thought it was worth a shot. Using the bottling wand, the amount of beer is the same across the board.

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2621.jpg

Everything went well, nothing crazy this time finally lol

IMG_2625.jpg

Damn you mean I actually have to clean all this stuff now!?

IMG_2626.jpg

Warning: Drift coming!
Matt, I see in your wonderful pics the TruTemp digital thermometer. Is it waterproof?
I ask because I have a Kenmore thermometer that worked fine the last 2 weeks but now the probe stays at 110. I called and they said it was only a food thermometer and could not go in water. Of course,they agreed it's not listed on the instructions.
So, even though they are sending me a free probe, I need another one and the one you have is only about $14. Can you tell me if it's truly ok to put in liquids?
Thanks

Yeah of course, it's just a $10 one from Target, I have a few of them, all it is is a stainless rod, just don't get the black housing wet. They are all waterproof (the probes), I don't know what you had or what they were talking about. I've actually never hard of one not being waterproof, I mean it's meant to be jammed into wet meat at 170o lol. Do you have a pic of the bad one?

I'm curious. If you didn't batch prime, why did you transfer to the bottling bucket instead of simply bottling from the LBK?

Haha shutup bpgreen

Halfway through the second bottle, "What the hell am I doing?"

USMCMatt wrote:

Haha shutup bpgreen

Halfway through the second bottle, "What the hell am I doing?"

Actually, I thought you had a reason for it, like maybe to reduce the chances of a trub bottle. I was just wondering.

All fun aside when I started bottling, it hit me that I didn't really have to, but I did the same thing to the ale as well because on both of these I cold crashed a few days and did want to get the clearest beer I could from them.

I'm a bit of a sanitize freak and overly clean everything so I wasn't worried about the chance of anything but then again I hate taking chances too.

Houston we have a problem.

Malt... lots of unfermented malt taste... see you another couple months hopefully

sorry to hear that Matt. mine have now started to come around and are tasting pretty good.

"genotype" post=256348 said:

sorry to hear that Matt. mine have now started to come around and are tasting pretty good.

Well it's been several weeks since the taste test and I've had one in the fridge over night so I'm going to try it again today. Worse comes to worse, I'm going to go over my math and create it again this week, some other beers I made right around this one were fantastic, so I'm pretty sure is was just a user error in something.

"USMCMatt" post=256963 said:

"genotype" post=256348 said:

Well it's been several weeks since the taste test and I've had one in the fridge over night so I'm going to try it again today. Worse comes to worse, I'm going to go over my math and create it again this week, some other beers I made right around this one were fantastic, so I'm pretty sure is was just a user error in something.

Do you always stick your beer in the fridge overnight before drinking? Try leaving one in the fridge for a week and see what you think. I used to think that only warm conditioning had any value, since the yeast stop working when they get too cold. Then I had a business trip and had some beer that sat in the fridge for a week. I discovered that it makes a big difference. I now try to make sure I give each beer around two weeks in the fridge.

Normally I keep them in the fridge for a min of 3 days, it was just a one time thing

Waited a few more weeks and it's really really good... go figure, ever think something is bad, let it mellow out.