Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
chalkjhawk79

Lager time with ale?

This is probably a very rookie question...but I'm looking at making my 2nd batch of mrbeer and have been looking at recipes on their website. I'm confused about how to tell the difference between lager and ale recipes? I'm assuming if it says Lager in the name it's a lager, if not then it's an ale? But, from what I can tell most of them have a "suggested lager time"....even the recipes that appear to be ale. Is that just the suggested cold conditioning time? For example....here's the Blonde Bombshell recipe:

Blonde Bombshell
MAKES APPROX. 2 GALLONS OF BEER IN ABOUT 3 WEEKS.
OG: 1.061 (approx.) -- FG: 1.015 (approx.)
Suggested lager time is 3 to 4 weeks.

But even the recipes that appear to be Lager's (i.e. Leprechaun Lager) have you ferment at room temperature in the instructions on the website. I thought lager's were to be fermented at colder temperatures? Here's the instructions say for the Leprechaun Lager:

2.8. Ferment by placing the keg out of direct sunlight and in a location with a consistent temperature. Allow beer to FERMENT A MINIMUM OF TWO WEEKS at room temperature (between 68°-76°F).

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Except for the special seasonal Pilsner, all of the Mr. Beer yeasts are ale yeast and can be fermented at the temperatures you mentioned. None of those recipes are true lagers in respect that they need to be cold lagered. Those recipes with 'lager' in their names are meant to have a taste profile like a lager beer.
Of course, you can buy a lager yeast, if you prefer, and ferment those at lager temps.

Beer-lord wrote:

Except for the special seasonal Pilsner, all of the Mr. Beer yeasts are ale yeast and can be fermented at the temperatures you mentioned. None of those recipes are true lagers in respect that they need to be cold lagered. Those recipes with 'lager' in their names are meant to have a taste profile like a lager beer.
Of course, you can buy a lager yeast, if you prefer, and ferment those at lager temps.

+1. It's all about the yeast. You can buy lager yeast thru Mr Beer now, but the yeast that accompanies all refills is an ale yeast - except for the periodic Seasonal Lager (like Beer-lord said). I am not aware of any Mr Beer "lager" recipes, but then again I have not viewed every recipe.