Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JerryOnDrums

Just bottled Jamaican Mon, interesting observation

Just bottled up my Jamaican Mon a couple days ago after 3 weeks in the keg and 2 days cold crashing. Interestingly enough, bottle #1 is the cloudiest, and has the most trub on the bottom. They get gradually clearer as they progress, until bottle #16 (the last one), which is also very trubby. Not really a question or anything, just a little observation!

I'm curious as to how the extra trub in the bottle will affect the taste of the final brew...guess I'll find out in about 5 or 6 weeks!

Cheers!

I just bottled Jamaica Mon today to and all mine were equal cloudiness except the last which was also verrrrry trubby...3 week ferment and two day cold crash as well...seemed too cloudy for mine but maybe its just me...missed my final gravity by a bit but its cuz i used a little extra water when filling lbk...oh well as long as it tastes good in the end cuz i have to admit im a little skeptical after a few samples but time will tell...and i hope that they clear up significantly over the next month :dry:

The trub will often get into the spigot on the inside, making the first draw a little cloudier than the rest of the beer. The final bottle, obviously, is subject to more trub as well, because we're tilting the keg forward to get as much luscious nectar of the grain as possible.

Many brewers (myself included) practice putting something under the front of the LBK during fermentation (a DVD case, or a thin block of styrofoam, for example) to tilt the front up and keep as much trub as possible toward the back of the keg.

Another good tip is the "clear the throat" of the spigot with a couple of quick spurts into a shot glass before you bottle. You'll be amazed at how much trub is in there.

Again...another fantastic tip...Hey Dave since i see you are a long time brewer would you mind checkin my recipe post for North American Pale Ale and let me know what ya think??? lookin for some feedback and you seem like the right guy to ask...