Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ben_postgate

QBrew

How do you account for the bitterness of the MB HMEs in QBrew? Do you add on the IBU figure of the extract profile on the website to your hop boils, or is there a fancy way to include in the recipe program?

Thanks (apologies if this is a stupid question).

ben_postgate wrote:

How do you account for the bitterness of the MB HMEs in QBrew? Do you add on the IBU figure of the extract profile on the website to your hop boils, or is there a fancy way to include in the recipe program?

Thanks (apologies if this is a stupid question).

Add the Mr beer HME under the hop tab as 1 oz boiled for 5 minutes.

Getting Qbrew to correctly handle the IBU from HME is definitely tricky. Here's what I do for my recipes. I start a new Qbrew file and include ONLY (a) any hops I'm adding to the boil and (B) the UME that will be in the boil with those hops, which for me is usually 0.6 lb. That will tell me the IBU contribution from the hops. Then I'll add that to the IBU contribution from the HME (taken from the extract profile page on the website) to calculate the total IBU for the recipe. (It is often far different from the IBU that Qbrew spits out for the complete recipe.)

Hope that helps. My taste buds tell me that this approach works well enough, but others may have different ideas.