Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Chance drums

new simple recipe for lbk help?

My first time using a LME and hops seperate

I have a Thomas coopers light malt extract and I am experimenting with willamett hops.

Recipe so far
1 T.C. LME 3.3 can
1 0z. willamett hop pellets
1 7 0z pack of coopers yeast

fermenting will be done in the LBK

My idea is to boil hops for 10 minutes then add LME

fermenting with hop bag until done.

Is 1 oz too much?

I figured that with all that sugar and that willametts are low in bitterness that this would be a good light type of beer.

Any suggestions?

Which Cooper's LME is this?

We need more information if we want to help with this.

Cooper's has a lot of different types of LME. Some are prehopped, some not.

Boiling hops in plain water probably won't do what you want. Hops should be boiled in malt.

If this is a prehopped kit, it's probably hopped to make a 5 gallon recipe. If it's not prehopped, you need to modify the boil or you're going to have something that is extremely sweet.

bpgreen wrote:

Which Cooper's LME is this?

We need more information if we want to help with this.

Cooper's has a lot of different types of LME. Some are prehopped, some not.

Boiling hops in plain water probably won't do what you want. Hops should be boiled in malt.

If this is a prehopped kit, it's probably hopped to make a 5 gallon recipe. If it's not prehopped, you need to modify the boil or you're going to have something that is extremely sweet.

not pre hopped....you think 1 oz boiled in the malt then?

10 minutes of a hop boil isn't going to do much...in general, not knowing the specifics, I would do a 20 minute boil with 1/2 oz and dry hop with the other 1/2 oz. Really need more info to give a definitive answer.

I have also brewed the Thomas Coopers wheat kit that is pre hopped by itself. I added some orange zest to it. Good to go and as good as the seasonals...

MonkeyMan wrote:

10 minutes of a hop boil isn't going to do much...in general, not knowing the specifics, I would do a 20 minute boil with 1/2 oz and dry hop with the other 1/2 oz. Really need more info to give a definitive answer.

I like your idea best and will do that for now....understand this is going into the LBK...not 5 gallons

What AA% on those hops?

Generally speaking, you want to split into at least two, if not three book boils to get bittering, flavor and aroma. If you give me the AA% of the hops, and how bitter you like you beer, I can help with a boil schedule.

bpgreen wrote:

What AA% on those hops?

Generally speaking, you want to split into at least two, if not three book boils to get bittering, flavor and aroma. If you give me the AA% of the hops, and how bitter you like you beer, I can help with a boil schedule.

5-7% I believe. I have been making some good high bitter beers. This time I want to do something lighter as far as bitterness but good flavor and aroma

Chance drums wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

What AA% on those hops?

5-7% I believe. I have been making some good high bitter beers. This time I want to do something lighter as far as bitterness but good flavor and aroma

That's quite a range. I'll split the difference and use 6%.

Divide the hops into 3 roughly equal piles.

Bring 6 cups of water to a boil. Remove from heat. Add 1/2 lb of the LME (don't worry about getting this exact, just use about 1/2 lb). Stir until the LME is completely mixed in (if you don't get it mixed well enough, it will stick to the bottom and scorch).

Return it to a boil. Set a timer for 40 minutes and add 1/3 of the hops. When the timer goes off, add another 1/3 of the hops and set the timer for 13 minutes. When the timer goes off, add the rest of the hops and set the timer for 7 minutes.

Add 1 gallon of cold water to the LBK.

When the timer goes off, remove from heat, add the remaining LME and stir.

Add this to the cold water in the LBK. Add enough water to this to get to the desired level. Stir vigorously to mix in the LME and to aerate the wort. Add the yeast, wait 5 minutes and stir vigorously again.

If this is a 2.125 gallon batch, it should start at about 1.056 OG and end up with about 5.5% ABV. The IBUs should be somewhere around 25-30 for a balanced beer.

bpgreen wrote:

Chance drums wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

What AA% on those hops?

Bring 6 cups of water to a boil. Remove from heat. Add 1/2 lb of the LME (don't worry about getting this exact, just use about 1/2 lb). Stir until the LME is completely mixed in (if you don't get it mixed well enough, it will stick to the bottom and scorch).

Return it to a boil. Set a timer for 40 minutes and add 1/3 of the hops. When the timer goes off, add another 1/3 of the hops and set the timer for 13 minutes. When the timer goes off, add the rest of the hops and set the timer for 7 minutes.

Add this to the cold water in the LBK. Add enough water to this to get to the desired level. Stir vigorously to mix in the LME and to aerate the wort. Add the yeast, wait 5 minutes and stir vigorously again.

If this is a 2.125 gallon batch, it should start at about 1.056 OG and end up with about 5.5% ABV. The IBUs should be somewhere around 25-30 for a balanced beer.

I was planning on using the whole can of lme....too much?

Chance drums wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

Chance drums wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

What AA% on those hops?

I was planning on using the whole can of lme....too much?

No. Use the whole can. I bolded part of the instructions you may have missed.

Only use part of the can for the hop boil. If you can do a full volume boil and cool it enough fast enough, you can use the whole can for the boil, but if you're doing a partial volume boil, using the whole can for the boil will darken the beer and also result in lower hop utilization.

thanks...I will do it as you posted...thanks for your response :cheers: Ill share my gravity readings and share how it turns out :barman: