Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
russki

Three Floyds - Robert the Bruce Clone

This is a clone recipe for one of the best American-brewed Scotch Ales - Robert the Bruce brewed by Three Floyds Brewery in Munster, Indiana. Very different from their typically hoppy offereings, it's a dark and malty brew - super tasty.

I brewed this recipe before, and it's very close to the real deal. As a matter of fact, it was supposedly provided by Nick Floyd himself. I modified it a bit from the original - it calls for UK Crystal, Roasted Barley, and Black Patent, but I have US grains on hand, so that's what I'm using. I am also subbing S-04 for the Wyeast 1968 London ESB; again, that's what I have on hand. Should still be very good.

Here's the recipe:

Robert the Clone
----------------
Brewer: russki
Style: Strong Scotch Ale
Batch: 5.00 galAll Grain

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.070 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 30 IBU
Recipe Color: 21° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.017
Alcohol by Volume: 6.7%
Alcohol by Weight: 5.3%

Ingredients
-----------
Black Patent (US) - [burnt, Roasted]0.14 lb, Grain, Mashed
CaraMunich 0.68 lb, Grain, Mashed
Crystal 10L 0.41 lb, Grain, Mashed
Crystal 60L - [body, Caramel, Head, Sweet]0.41 lb, Grain, Mashed
Melanoidin 0.27 lb, Grain, Mashed
Roasted Barley 0.14 lb, Grain, Mashed
Two-row (US) 11.62 lb, Grain, Mashed

Fuggles (U.K.) 1.50 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes

Safale S-04 Dry Ale Yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast, English: Temperature Range: 59°-75° F 11.5 GRAMS
Whirlfloc 1.00 unit, Other, add at 10 minutes left in the boil

Here's the bottle label I threw together: clone.jpg

• Like 1

Brewed this last night using my "Electric Brewery" - I got my process down, and it worked great. Hit my OG spot on, 1.070. Ended up with 4.5 gallons of wort in a Lowes bucket. It's happily bubbling through the blow-off tube now.

Had to make another substitution - used Kent Goldings instead of Fuggles.

The wort tasted great - sweet and malty.

RTB is the bomb... well, actually darn near anything from FFF is the bomb. And a recipe from Nick... Rock on with yo bad self! I might have to queue this one up as well. Let us know how it turns out...

On the topic of your 'electric' brewery... I assume you're talking about an electric turkey fryer. You were able to reach full volume boil with no boil-over? I've long considered getting one, but hadn't pulled the trigger until I heard the results of others...

I think this is going to go into my queue too. It sounds great.

I'm tempted to get one of those friers too... assuming the one that was mentioned lighting on fire was more a fluke then normal..

RE: EKG vs. Fuggles. There is no such thing as a bad beer made with EKG hops as a substitute. EKG are good in everything.

russki...

I am in Northwest Indiana. Three Floyds is the best. My favorite is Alpha King. They have RTB on tap at the horseshoe in Hammond... Veddy Veddy Good...

Mmmm... Alpha King... =====>

I think I'll go pop one open now...

On the original topic, can you break down your process with the electric setup? It looks like you mashed 13lbs or so of grain. How much water? How much did you sparge with? What volume did you start boil with? Were you able to easily maintain temps for the mash? For the boil? Any problems with the temp reading, or did you use a different thermometer?

swenocha wrote:

Mmmm... Alpha King... =====>

I think I'll go pop one open now...

On the original topic, can you break down your process with the electric setup? It looks like you mashed 13lbs or so of grain. How much water? How much did you sparge with? What volume did you start boil with? Were you able to easily maintain temps for the mash? For the boil? Any problems with the temp reading, or did you use a different thermometer?

I updated the original post - let me know if you have any questions!

I figured I should probably post the original recipe I used as a basis for mine:

OG:17plato
FG:5.5plato
Ibus:30 All at begining of Boil
90 Minute Boil
MashIn 162 F Hour Rest
Yeast: Fullers

Colour 18 Srm

Malt 85% 2Row US
1%Black Patent UK
1%Roasted UK
5%Caramunich 40 German
3% Crystal 10 US
2% Melanoidin German
3%Crystal 55 UK
Ferment on the cold side 62-65 F

So what I brewed is not an exact clone, but should be very similar. I kept all the grain % the same, just scaled to a 5 gal batch.

I realized I haven't posted any updates:

I bottled this one back in March with FG of 1.016 (7.0%/abv) - it turned out very tasty, dark ruby red, very complex sweet malty flavor with a touch of roasted malt flavor coming through, and just enough hops to make it not cloying. Took it to my club's Irish and Scottish Ales competition on Tuesday and took 1st place. Today, I'm shipping two bottles off to Texas for the clubs only AHA competition - my club is paying for my submission. We'll see how it does!

Awesome, I liked the looks of this recipe and brewed it up myself. Tasted great at bottling time and will be trying the trub bottle tonight. Hope it came out as well as yours!

Update on the competition:

Got my scoresheets, one was filled out by a certified BJCP judge. Comments were largely positive, with the certified judge noting a very slight phenolic (band-aid) aroma/flavor, that he promptly dinged me on. It was also deemed too light for the style, which I knew going in - most Strong Scotch Ales are pushing 9-10%/abv. Both judges commented on nice toffee/caramel malt flavor/aroma, good color, and soft mouthfeel. I managed 28 points (both judges scored the same) - just a couple points shy of "Very good". Not bad for my first ever competition.

There were 34 beers in the Strong Scotch category, so I obviously had no chance of placing... Still - very valuable experience.

"mashani" post=238490 said:

I'm tempted to get one of those friers too... assuming the one that was mentioned lighting on fire was more a fluke then normal..

Funny I saw this today as I was looking through this thread again...I have the same turkey fryer as russki and have used it successfully for probably 14 or so batches. Then Friday I was brewing and noticed the control unit was smoking...I kept an eye on it and was able to finish the batch, then took it apart and there were some bare wires where the insulation had burned off, and consequently the surrounding foam insulation was starting to burn.

The good news is one quick call to the manufacturer and a whole new heating element and control unit is on the way, so I should be a happy camper again soon, as long as the new unit doesn't do the same thing!

"russki" post=266037 said:

Update on the competition:

Got my scoresheets, one was filled out by a certified BJCP judge. Comments were largely positive, with the certified judge noting a very slight phenolic (band-aid) aroma/flavor, that he promptly dinged me on. It was also deemed too light for the style, which I knew going in - most Strong Scotch Ales are pushing 9-10%/abv. Both judges commented on nice toffee/caramel malt flavor/aroma, good color, and soft mouthfeel. I managed 28 points (both judges scored the same) - just a couple points shy of "Very good". Not bad for my first ever competition.

There were 34 beers in the Strong Scotch category, so I obviously had no chance of placing... Still - very valuable experience.

Very cool; I'd love to enter a few beers in a competition (we just don't have any locally) just for the feedback to see if there are places I can improve my process and techniques.

How is the Three Floyds "Zombie Dust?" I've heard a lot about it, but they don't get it out east.

"losman26" post=266158 said:

How is the Three Floyds "Zombie Dust?" I've heard a lot about it, but they don't get it out east.

It's awesome - it's an all Citra, all late additions IPA that's exceptionally smooth. There are some good clone recipes out there too.

I've got about 4 oz of Citra and I've been wondering what to do with it and keep hearing about this 'Zombie Dust'. Wish I could try it but it's not here either.
Seen a few recipes online and wondered about it. Might want to put that in the beer-bucket list for a few weeks down the road. If you know of any good versions, please pass it on.

Russki,

I found your Robert the Clone recipe and brewed an extract version in May of 2013. I also entered it in my state fair and got scores of 30 & 32 from two BJCP judge sheets. The beer tastes almost identical to the real thing to me.

Thanks for the great recipe!

For those interested, I subbed 6 lbs extra light DME for the two-row.