Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
manosteel9423

Excited for the Weekend!!!

So, I bottled my Vienna Lager on Wednesday night.

I just received my order from Mr Beer, which included two brand new LBKs!

I have the ingredients for lots of fun stuff and 3 LBKs available...sounds like a GREAT weekend to me!!!

Here's the plan:

Batch #1

I am doing a Shameless Stout variation that I started a seperate thread about earlier...so this one is all set.

Batch #2

Planning on trying one of the Cider recipes that came with my order so that Mrs. Mano can start getting just as excited about this stuff as me!

Batch #3

This is where I need some help!

I want to do a wheat beer with this batch. Here's what I have on hand:

1 Can Whispering Wheat HME
2 Cans Golden Wheat UME
2 Cans Creamy Brown UME
1 Can Cowboy Golden Lager HME
1 Package Booster

Does anybody have any suggestions? I was thinking of just going with a recipe like:

1 Can Whispering Wheat
1 Can Golden Wheat
1/2 package of Booster
???

I've seen some people use orange zest in their wheat beers as well as some other spices. I am open to suggestions on this batch and would very much love some advice!

Thanks,
Mano

Another question...I'll be using the US-05 Dry Yeast for the Wheat beer I am planning, should I use the entire package, or split it?

If I split it, how long will the other half keep and is there anything special I need to do to store it? It will likely be about 2 weeks before I can use it again.

manosteel9423 wrote:

Another question...I'll be using the US-05 Dry Yeast for the Wheat beer I am planning, should I use the entire package, or split it?

If I split it, how long will the other half keep and is there anything special I need to do to store it? It will likely be about 2 weeks before I can use it again.

You can use half or all. If you use half, fold the remaining over, tape it shut and put it in the fridge. Use it within a week for best results.

bp...I'll have to wait at least two weeks to use it since I'll be filling all 3 LBKs this weekend. I'm planning to bottle the Cider after just two weeks, so I can get something going then and use it, will that be a big problem?

manosteel9423 wrote:

bp...I'll have to wait at least two weeks to use it since I'll be filling all 3 LBKs this weekend. I'm planning to bottle the Cider after just two weeks, so I can get something going then and use it, will that be a big problem?

It will probably be okay, if not ideal.

The recipe you posted looks fine for a wheat beer BUT I would suggest using a yeast more specific to that style if you want it to be more like a traditional wheat beer. Pick up some WB-06 or WLP300 if you want a hef-style wheat beer.

You could also swap the wheat UME for the creamy brown and make a dunkelweizen.

But what you have is fine, too ;)

I've been using half packs of us-05 and found if you tape them shut airtight and put them in the freezer they have been fine up to 3 weeks later.

Kealia wrote:

The recipe you posted looks fine for a wheat beer BUT I would suggest using a yeast more specific to that style if you want it to be more like a traditional wheat beer. Pick up some WB-06 or WLP300 if you want a hef-style wheat beer.

You could also swap the wheat UME for the creamy brown and make a dunkelweizen.

But what you have is fine, too ;)

Thanks. I'll check the LHBS for one of those yeasts. I hadn't really thought about using the Creamy Brown UME instead of the Golden Wheat, but I think that would make a really nice beer.

Can anybody give me an idea what they would do with the Cowboy Lager HME that I have? I was thinking of using one of the Golden Wheat UMEs with it as well, but if anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them. I won't be doing anything with that one until I have another free LBK in a couple of weeks, but its never too early to start planning your next brew!

Texas Dan wrote:

I've been using half packs of us-05 and found if you tape them shut airtight and put them in the freezer they have been fine up to 3 weeks later.

Thanks Texas Dan, that's helpful. I think I'll do that with my left over tonight, just to be safe.

Guest System Admin

Does indeed sound like a busy weekend, nothing wrong with that though! Just don't rush though it!

BUMMED
for the weekend.
all lbks full and cant brew anything, and nothing to drink, i got outta sink and have no bottles or keg to drink they are all conditioning. so i guess i will finsih my sam adams spring that i have in the fridge.

manosteel9423 wrote:

Can anybody give me an idea what they would do with the Cowboy Lager HME that I have? I was thinking of using one of the Golden Wheat UMEs with it as well, but if anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

If you are looking to do some basic MrB recipes, you could do Quiet Creek Kolsch or Cowboy Honey Wheat.

I've been reading quite a bit about the ciders. I have the raspberry cider recipe and was just going to stick to the basic recipe. After all this reading, I am having second thoughts. Should I use something to sweeten it?
The recipe calls for:

1 can Orchard cider
1 Can raspberries
1 1/2 cups sugar

Can I add a UME to it? Maybe a non-fermentable sugar? I'm very worried about this coming out too tart.

I think the amount of Sugar would be fine. There are also some Mr. Beer recipes that call for using an UME, if you haven't decided against it yet.
https://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/728/nm/Aunt_Emma_s_Autumn_Elixir
or you could try
https://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/179/nm/KT_s_Caramel_Apple_Cider

Just to get the idea juices flowing. Hope this helps

Yeah, I'm not opposed to using a UME, but I don't really want the cider to be malty either. I'd like it to stay light.

Maybe its best to just do the regular recipe and if it turns out too tart I can always back sweeten it with lactose or some other non-fermentable sugar.

Yep I hear you on that one. Me, i just plan on making a cranberry Apple Cider. Though when I get a spare can of UME and Cider at the same time, I'll be sure to let you know how it turned out.

manosteel9423 wrote:

When I'm out of the good stuff to drink, I buy Grolsch swingtops...might as well harvest some bottles while I pay for beer!

It's called buying bottles that are filled with free beer :)

That's how I justify it anyway!

If you have three kegs and likely to use only half your yeast, either make two different recipes that call for half a packet of yeast, or order another refill and it'll be here by the weekend, so your half packet of opened yeast wont spoil. It also means you'll stagger your brewing and wont be left empty.

nelgin wrote:

If you have three kegs and likely to use only half your yeast, either make two different recipes that call for half a packet of yeast, or order another refill and it'll be here by the weekend, so your half packet of opened yeast wont spoil. It also means you'll stagger your brewing and wont be left empty.

nelgin...That will work in the future, but this weekend its a no go. I plan to fill all three LBKs this weekend, however, one of the kegs will have cider in it, so it will be using the cider yeast.

In the second LBK, I've just brewed my Shameless Oatmeal Stout, which included a can of St. Pats Irish Stout, a can of Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout and a can of Creamy Brown UME...along with half a cup of dark brown sugar...so I pitched a full 11.5oz package of S-04 English Ale Yeast in that one to account for all the malt.

That leaves one LBK empty that I plan to use for a wheat beer. Somebody earlier mentioned that I probably shouldn't use the US-05 for a wheat beer, so maybe I'll wait until Monday to hit the LHBS and see if they have a more appropriate yeast for that style and then I'll just pitch the whole package regardless of the recipe. I plan to use at least two cans of extract, so the full package won't be too much of an overkill! ;)

@manosteel:
How did you use your Cider? I happened to pick up a Golden Whaet UME with an LBK off of Craigslist and went and made KT's Caramel Apple cider, tasted and smelled like apple Pie and looking forward to bottling.

I chickened out of the UME idea! Haha. I had a Golden Wheat UME on my shelf but decided it was probably best to stick pretty close to the basic recipe for the first one.

The only modification that I made was that I replaced some of the sugar with a half package of booster. There are some non-fermentables in the booster that I thought might give it the sweetness I am looking for. I also used an ale yeast instead of the cider yeast...again looking for some extra sweetness and lower fermenting temps.

Been in the LBK for about a week now and seems to be coming along good. I'll let you know how it tastes when I bottle it, probably next weekend or shortly thereafter.

Good luck on the Caramel Apple Cider!!