Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Fee

Bananarama?

I want to make a batch of ale but use a yeast that has the potential to give me some of those banana hints.....but still fairly easy to use. Any recommendations? I know these things tend to be for wheat beers, and I'm not against it, but I was wondering if I can get similar hints with an ale.

Thanks!

Get some Wyeast 3068 or White Labs WLP300 Weihenstephaner Weizen Yeast, ferment at 70-72, you'll have a banana explosion. And by explosion, I mean a literal explosion. This yeast loves to blow tops off of fermenters. Put the LBK in something to control the overflow, and loosen the cap a quarter turn.

I was going to Grateful Dead shows. Stevie Ray Vaughan was a good product of the 80s. I am very anti-80s music.

russki wrote:

Get some Wyeast 3068 or White Labs WLP300 Weihenstephaner Weizen Yeast, ferment at 70-72, you'll have a banana explosion. And by explosion, I mean a literal explosion. This yeast loves to blow tops off of fermenters. Put the LBK in something to control the overflow, and loosen the cap a quarter turn.

Wyeast 1214 / White Labs WPL500 fermented in the low to mid 70s would generate loads of banana too. It might cause less of an explosion, but then again maybe not if you ferment that warm.

Fee wrote:

I was going to Grateful Dead shows. Stevie Ray Vaughan was a good product of the 80s. I am very anti-80s music.

Ummmm......oooookayyyy. There is really only one way anybody can enjoy a Greatful Dead show!! Even the band had to get high just to play their music!! :lol: Since you also posted the Phish video I'm kinda startin to see a pattern. Hey afterall it's 4:20 somewhere in the world right?!? :lol: (Not that there's anything wrong with that! :lol: )

As far as 80's music goes come on! There were a lot of greats!! Like Boy George, Wham, Milli Vanilli, The Go Go's, The Bangles (Seriously though Susanna Hoff!!!! WOW!! HUBBA HUBBA!!! :woohoo: :silly: ), Winger, MC Hammer and Biz Markie (OH BABY, YOU, YOU GOT WHAT I NEED!!) just to name a few!! :lol: How could anyone hate 80's music? ;)

Only way I can enjoy The Greatful Dead is by not listening to them. And when we speak of 80's music, I only have 2 words for you, IRON MAIDEN !!

Some music stands the test of time. Show me a teenage boy coming of age going "oooooh wow, that WHAM! sounds great, I gotta go get me some of that!"

Led Zeppelin however.....will always be on the list.

Fee wrote:

I want to make a batch of ale but use a yeast that has the potential to give me some of those banana hints.....but still fairly easy to use. Any recommendations? I know these things tend to be for wheat beers, and I'm not against it, but I was wondering if I can get similar hints with an ale.

Thanks!

IF YOU WANT BANANA FLAVOR I HAVE THE YEAST FOR YOU.

WLP380 is a totally ridiculous yeast and it is so much fun to watch. I highly suggest you have a blow off tube or something because I have never seen such violent fermentation in my entire life. It litterally is violent. It was blowing off so hard that it knocked over the pitcher of water I had the hose going into.

I will tell you what this yeast is so much fun to watch.

What did the deadhead say when the drugs wore off??

'Damn, this music SUCKS!!!'

I have to admit I attended (or was told I did) quite a few dead shows over the years. The first was at WVU Coliseum in Morgantown in '82 during finals week at Pitt. I had to take one class again due to that show.

One was at 3 Rivers Stadium in Pgh a few months before Jerry died. During the break I guess the Lord thought the deadheads needed a shower so it POURED for the second half of the show. Do you know what 55,000 wet hippies smell like??

Anyhoo, back to the original question.

I did a simple wheat using Coopers Wheat (hopped extract), 3lbs of Wheat DME and other stuff (hops/grains of paradise).

I used Danstar Windsor dry yeast and pitched a little on the high temp (80-85) side to stress the yeast so it would produce more of the wonderful banana esters. It did the trick and has great banana undertones. I just bought more of the ingredients so I'll have a batch for summer.

We really don't smell that bad. A few do....sometimes we call them "wooks". Some need a bath, some smell like coverup. Same thing if you go to Phish shows now. Same kind of crowd. I go for the music. I want a band that will lift me up, take me away, explore with each other, communicate delicately, take their time.....that's what I want.

Anyway now I have so many yeast choices! I'm reluctant to pull more out of it by getting the temp up too high. Things have been just fine in the mid to upper 60s range. I guess I'll just pick one of those yeast suggestions and go with it. One day I'll get through them all. Thanks!

Ok the deed is done. Ron Paul's Rand-y Dandy Ale was made last night. My first batch in the 6 gallon carboy. I learned 2 things. Time to stop "going commando" and use one of those muslin bag things. Not fun to pour the wort with so much going on. Tends to clog the funnel. Also, I learned that "racking" is not so easy. At first it goes fine, gravity takes over.....then there's a point where it....stops, backs up, and it's over.......Live and learn...but I need help

Anyway.....

1 3.3 lb. can Briess Golden light

2 lbs Northern light DME

1/2 lb. Briess Amber DME

1 lb. frozen red raspberries (Trader Joe's, added near the end of the boil)

2 organic bananas

Summitt, Goldings, Liberty and Amarillo hops at various times through a 90 minute boil. (I'll admit, not always a rolling boil)

The Amarillo hops were more added at the end and as a dry hop. Total hops was about 2 1/2 oz.

After the boil, in the early stages of cool down I added a jar of Trader Joes' raspberry preserves.

I added that liquid WLP380 yeast that someone said was a killer because I wanted activity and that bannana flavor. I know it's more designed for a hefeweizen than this ale I'm going for but I wanted to do this.

It does say it acts quick but this morning before I went out it wasn't doing anything. That would be after about 12 hours. Then I came home this afternoon....now more like 20 hours. 3 inches of Krausen and the bubbler is bubbling once every 4 seconds and accellerating. Very nice! Just so you know the temp is around 69-70, not 75. Last night may have gotten to 66. I'm ok with a slightly cooler ferment for this yeast but you all may want to know. We'll see if cloves or bannanas, or both end up dominating.

So here's what frustrated me, this being my first 5 gallon brew. I have what I think is like a 10 gallon giant pot so my boil went well. But, did not use a muslin bag and just threw the damn hops and raspberries in there like it didn't matter. And it did. 2 problems faced me at once.....I did a fast ice water cool down of the wort pot and then tried to rack it into the 6 gallon plastic carboy. But the clogging....I mean, you know this, you saw that coming. But besides the clogging, even when things were smooth it seemed like the gravity part of it kept failing and it would stop, back up, and that was the end of that. And I had the pot way above the carboy so it wasn't gravity it was my technique.

clearly I am not doing another one of these 5 gallon brews without the use of muslin bags so that solves that. But my technique for racking clearly sucks. Maybe someone can post a link to a video that shows noobs how to do this properly?

I may have underdone the volume and it's more like a 4.5 gallon batch but it's really rocking now and looks so cool. I think in the next 48 hours I better watch it tight. I think that because it's less than 5 gal I might luck out and it may not get totally out of hand but what a fun yeast too!

And if anyone asks what the gravity was/is I'm gonna mail you a 48 minute Phish song. :)

a good 5 inches of krausen, bubbling every second, and damn if it doesn't smell like bananas! Trying to keep the temp just under 70 so it's not over the top. Really fun yeast. I think I ended up making 4.5 gallons instead of 5. I got a little scared.

What did you do with the bananas to sanatize them?

How long did you boil the berries... Boiing fruit can put pectin into your wort, that will make your beer cloudy. It can also give you weird off flavors when your using berries.

For future reference, it's typically best to use canned berries which are already pasturized, and add them post fermentation.

Fee - I nearly always go 'commando' when adding hops to a boil. I just use a strainer (one that fits in the funnel and is only used for brewing) to strain the wort into the fermentation vessel. When I am going to leave the hops in the fermenter, then I sack 'em.

I added the fruit at the end of the boil, after the flame was turned off.

I can go commando and do the strainer thing but I think I'd rather avoid that and go muslin sack from now on. It's easy, it's clean, and I'm sure it will work well. The other thing I need to do is watch someone do the racking/hose thing. I had gravity on my side and it just failed. I need to see it being done to fully get it.

Anyway, the activity has slowed down, but still very nice foam on top. It looks like most of the work is done and now will be the wait. I will give it 3 weeks before I bottle.

I simply can't recall how I ended up getting photos of my first batch posted but I think I forgot what I did to get it to work.

an update on this one.....for some reason, perhaps because it's been getting a little warmer, this yeast has kicked up again and I've noticed more activity. We're about 10 days in now. Still a nice, balanced, but not overwhelming banana smell coming out of the airlock. But something seemed to make it start up again. Also, the krausen, while not large, is still very bubbly and pronounced.

Fee

WLP380 was my reccomendation and I told you that yeast was freaking crazy. First time I ever used it I was no prepared and had no blow off hose. I learned after than and got on. I use this yeast monthly now because wheat beers are my favorite but it is just so much fun to watch. It has to be the craziest yeast out there I'm sure or top 3 easy. I cannot imagine a more violent fermentation than WLP380.

Yes it was you! Thanks for that....we'll have to see how it turns out. It was crazy. I probably made closer to 4.5 gallons so I never had it blow off, but it really was fun to watch. Do you know what prompted it to start up again? I assume the temp going up a bit but I'm not sure. Either way I should know in a couple of months how it came out. As you know this wasn't a wheat beer so who knows?

Fee wrote:

Yes it was you! Thanks for that....we'll have to see how it turns out. It was crazy. I probably made closer to 4.5 gallons so I never had it blow off, but it really was fun to watch. Do you know what prompted it to start up again? I assume the temp going up a bit but I'm not sure. Either way I should know in a couple of months how it came out. As you know this wasn't a wheat beer so who knows?

I would not worry about it starting up again I've used this yeast 5 times thus far and its done that to me as well. I have used this yeast in beers other than wheat and its turned out fantastic. Actually I liked it better in something other than wheat beer because the bananna seems to mellow out more. In wheat beer the bananna really comes through hard but its still good.

I hope your batch turns out well.

This batch "Ron Paul's Rand-y Dandy Ale" was bottled after 3 weeks. I think it will come out good but will have to wait to let everyone know about it. I also need a camera....I'm not going to take pics with my cell phone and we're due to get a good camera.

What this batch allowed me to do, as it was the first one in my 6 gallon carboy.....is to run a little experiment.

Instead of bottling the entire batch I left a couple of inches of beer (besides the trub) in the carboy.......and tossed some sugar and honey in there. And of course, it started up again......and when it settled down I bottled it (3 12oz bottles), used less carbing sugar due to fear that fermentation had not finished.....and put them aside. I'm sure it will be bad. So they go in the closet for a few months and we'll see.

When I get a new camera....I love the idea of taking a first pour video.

I cracked open an early test bottle of this one last night, knowing that it would be early. I was very pleasantly surprised. Great foaming head, a hint of bannana and raspberry. Not overpowering, and I would imagine, due to the corn sugar carbing.....and maybe the nature of this liquid yeast, no green apple cider aftertaste at all. Halfway through the bottle though the carbonation almost died, but I'm sure many of you have had the thought of "oh wow I can not wait to try this after another 4-8 weeks!".

I'm happy that I have 5 gallons of this one. It appears as if I'm getting better at this.

WLP380 is my favorite yeast. I know its a Hefe yeast but I've been using it in non hefe/wheat beers. I just did an IPA hybrid with it and I cant wait to taste it. The bitterness of the hops toned down the banana very well but there is still a hint there.

I agree. It almost has to have its own category. Judging by the one bottle I've tried, there is a very nice balance in all areas. You can tell it's made with a Hefe yeast.....yet the hops is there and it's not as cloudy. There's more punch to it. I was also very diligent in the temp control on this one, trying to strike that balance between the clove and bannana that this yeast can bring out. It appears as if I found that. It might lean a little more toward the bannana but it's subtle enough. No one thing really dominates and I'm really looking forward to trying another one in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the tip! So my next question is.....as I'm getting ready to brew a big stout....would this yeast compliment that kind of style as well? I would think it would.

This beer is in the "constantly getting better" category. The last one I opened was tighter and more mellow, clearer and more settled. The banana flavor is more subtle and enjoyable.

Here's one thing I learned with this one.......and the auto siphon is going to help a great deal...

It seems as if having more trub in the bottles allows it to stir up when opening the bottle. It becomes difficult to keep it separated, at the very bottom. One that I openend last week started slowly frothing up, like a slow motion volcano. It was agitated.

This time I opened the cap real slowly (glass). I let a drop of air out, came back in a minute and let out a little more. I opened it so slowly it didn't know it was being opened!! So the beer did not get agitated, was much clearer, crisper, and much more enjoyable.

A gusher isn't caused by the presence of trub, but by the fact that the trub displaces an amount of liquid which causes the carbonation level to go up.

For example, you have two containers of liquid:

A. 0.5 gallons
B. 0.75 gallons

If you apply an equal 2.0 volumes of CO2 to each, which will be more carbonated and possibly cause a gusher upon opening? A. is correct, because there is less liquid to absorb the same amount of CO2.

The trub causes a container that normally could contain B. to only be able to contain A..

Make sense?

sure, I'm just saying that I think there is a way to keep it as undisturbed as possible by opening it very slowly. Sometimes I turn the light off and tip toe up to the bottle. I distract it for a minute and just a TINY bit of open.....then I say "just kidding, I wasn't really going to open you!".....and I pretend to walk away and then .....then I apologize for getting out of hand and leave the room for a couple of minutes......then I sneak back and .....before you know it I'm drinking the beer and it's all like "oh man you are so sneaky!"

Fine, I'll do it. I'm sure it will be funny.

You know I did an IPA batch a few months ago and I used the WLP380 yeast. This yeast had not business being used in an IPA but I'm telling you it was crazy good. The power of the Columbus hops dry hoped toned down the banana flavor quite a bit. It was the most interesting IPA I've ever had.

The hop aroma didn't interfere with the smell from banana esters? I would not want that competition. But it does sound interesting!

It certainly does sound interesting. Thinking I might want to try that yeast with a porter or stout as an experiment.

Since chocolate and bananna go well together historically, I want to try this yeast in a stout. Perhaps keeping a certain temp control to bring out the yeast the way you want it (I wouldn't want clove domination) would be a good way to go about it.

The experiment of re-starting the yeast in a batch was eh. Instead of dumping this batch after bottling, I left a few bottles worth in the carboy, added sugar and honey, and waited another week+. I bottled them, they were sort of trub-y, no surprise.

I had one, it was sort of bland, dry....it had more alcohol but not very flavorful. It tasted like some cheap 8% brew.