Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
comfort241

First Batch!!!

Good luck! I'm sitting here drinking my first batch. I brewed the simple Cowboy Ale recipe that came with the kit. I let it ferment for 2 months and then bottle conditioned for another month. Mine took a while to clear up and taste like beer... but let me tell you, it was worth the wait. I'm pretty surprised how good the simple recipe is... makes me want to get started on a more advanced recipe immediately!

Take your time!!! Enjoy.

-Nopy1000

nopy1000 wrote:

Good luck! I'm sitting here drinking my first batch. I brewed the simple Cowboy Ale recipe that came with the kit. I let it ferment for 2 months and then bottle conditioned for another month. Mine took a while to clear up and taste like beer... but let me tell you, it was worth the wait. I'm pretty surprised how good the simple recipe is... makes me want to get started on a more advanced recipe immediately!

Take your time!!! Enjoy.

-Nopy1000

Hope you meant that you fermented for 2 weeks, not 2 months. :S

Unfortunately, no, it didn't take 2 weeks. This was my first batch and it wouldn't clear up so I let it ferment for 2 months before bottling. Even when I bottled it was a bit cidery. But after letting it bottle condition for 1 month it looks very clear, has great carbonation and tastes like beer! Took much longer than I expected.

I can only assume that I did something wrong - although I was meticulous about sanitation and followed the directions exactly... I was fermenting at about 69 to 70 degrees, so maybe that was a bit too cool?

Either way, everything I read said that time and patience cures most brewing problems, so that was my last resort and it worked out.

Guest System Admin

Good luck, but like everyone else said...details!!

nopy1000 wrote:

Unfortunately, no, it didn't take 2 weeks. This was my first batch and it wouldn't clear up so I let it ferment for 2 months before bottling. Even when I bottled it was a bit cidery. But after letting it bottle condition for 1 month it looks very clear, has great carbonation and tastes like beer! Took much longer than I expected.

I can only assume that I did something wrong - although I was meticulous about sanitation and followed the directions exactly... I was fermenting at about 69 to 70 degrees, so maybe that was a bit too cool?

Either way, everything I read said that time and patience cures most brewing problems, so that was my last resort and it worked out.

For future reference, 2 months is probably much longer than necessary and going that long could increase your odds of an infection. You're probably okay, but I wouldn't normally let it go that long.

I've never found the clarity of the beer to be a good indication of whether it's done. I use a hydrometer now, but before I got my hydrometer, I went by taste.

I'm doing the witty monk. I followed the instructions to a "T", but I'm a little concerned about the yeast. It's at a constant 72 degrees right now but I'm not getting a lot of "bubbles" floating on top. Does it usually take a few days before that happens?

comfort241 wrote:

I'm doing the witty monk. I followed the instructions to a "T", but I'm a little concerned about the yeast. It's at a constant 72 degrees right now but I'm not getting a lot of "bubbles" floating on top. Does it usually take a few days before that happens?

Each batch is different. Some don't really show much krausen. Even when there is krausen, it may not show up for 72 hours. A better indication of fermentation is a build up of sediment on the bottom (this is known as trub).

I have ALOT of trub. I thought maybe I didn't stir it up enough after I put in the yeast. Hell I don't know...I'm new at this....thank God there's a bar down the street if this doesn't work!!!...lol

comfort241 wrote:

I have ALOT of trub. I thought maybe I didn't stir it up enough after I put in the yeast. Hell I don't know...I'm new at this....thank God there's a bar down the street if this doesn't work!!!...lol

Trub is a good thing.

comfort241 wrote:

Trub is a good thing.

Bottling day TODAY!!!
I'm going to let it set for three weeks and chill for another week. I CAN"T WAIT!!!!

tfredleg wrote:

my first batch will be ready on 5 march 2012 and i am soooooo looking forward to my first brew

Welcome to the obsession.

comfort241 wrote:

Just brewed my first batch...WISH ME LUCK!!!!

tfredleg wrote:

my first batch will be ready on 5 march 2012 and i am soooooo looking forward to my first brew

nopy1000 wrote:

Take your time!!! Enjoy.

-Nopy1000

Good Luck to you all and welcome the the Borg. :drinking:

UPDATE:
WITTY MONK
Started the second fermentation process yesterday. The locking spigot and wand combo was WONDERFUL!!! If you don't have one, you should get one.
Added "BROWN SUGAR" to one bottle to see what it would do. Might work, Might not....