Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jcubz

Maltodextrin

Where would one find information about how much maltodextrin to add to wort? I've seen a lot of comments about adding maltodextrin with dextrose for head retention etc but I havent seen a place that says how much... especially for approx 2.13G or so.

This is Carapils (or in that family of malts) correct? it is used for head retention and body to a beer? Please elaborate how & why it would be used in MB batches as I have thought of doing this but need clarification. Thanks.

It's a substitute for carapils or carafoam or other body enhancing malts. It's basically a non-fermentable sugar that adds to the body. Steeping carapils or carafoam will give you the same effect. Maltodextrin just saves time if your in a hurry.

So do I leaves the maltodextrin or carapils in the LBK until bottling or remove it from the wort after the initial "seal".

Also this might be a stupid question but... i saw on another forum that someone used this:

http://www.nowfoods.com/Sports/Products/StrengthAndPerformance/M003488.htm

and then crushed the tablets and added that to the beer.. seems almost a little hokey.

Carapils is a grain, you steep it in 160 degree water for 30 minutes and then pull it out and make dog biscuts out of it or throw it in your compost. The dextrines that steeped out of it are now in your wort.

Maltodextrin disolves into your wort, and there is nothing to "pull out" at that point.

Those tablets are in theory the same thing as packaged maltodextrin, *but* 100% pure doesn't mean it is 100% pure. It probably has some kind of binder to hold it into a tablet shape. Those binders might not be the best thing for your beer. So I'd be wary.

You should be able to get pure powdered maltodextrin from your LHBS, or often at health food stores.

Guest System Admin

jcubz,

You might be on to something there. A friend of mine is a bodybuilder, and he says when he uses those maltodextrin tablets, it helps his six-pack.

Who knows what it will do for our six-packs?