Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
LouieMacGoo

Brewers Log?

I was just wondering how everyone keeps track of the beer that they brew? Do you simply just enter it in Qbrew with all your notes for the particular batch that you make or do you also keep a ledger of your beer?

Qbrew is a great tool but I have it only on my home computer so If I'm out of the house and want to look something up I have no way of getting to it so I was thinking of adding a spreadsheet to my Google Docs that I could access from any where but this would mean entering the data twice once in Qbrew and once in Google Docs.

So again how to keep track of your brewing and how to make sure you have access anywhere you go?

I do all mine in Beer Calculus at www.hopville.com
Its a great site for finding other's recipes and clones for pretty much anything.
Plus, if you build your recipes there, since its web based you can pull it up anywhere. I often pull it up on my phone to tweak or at the LHBS.

Agreed. I also do everything on BeerCalculus. I have about 25 or so recipes on there. The great thing is that I have WiFi on my cell phone and I have BeerCalculus as one of my favorites...so I can see what I have done and (if I'm at an LHBS) I can punch numbers in to get a rough estimate.

I also have BeerCalculus on my computer at work so that I can tinker with ideas during the down time.

The great thing is thinking up some wild nonsense and then not even going in the house...going straight to the car to the LHBS because I KNOW what I want and have a plan in place.

==================

I keep my BeerCalculus, Mr. Beer, and BJCP style guideline all together on every computer and electronic device I have.

I use qbrew to create the recipes. I used to track everything in an excel spreadsheet, but eventually, I uploaded it to Google docs.

Guest System Admin

I use something called BrewBlog, it's pretty good. It takes a lot of getting used to, but works for me!

I use Qbrew to build my recipes, but I've been thinking about moving to an online tool of some sort so that I can access it from any computer. But I keep track of my brews in a Google Docs Spreadsheet so I can get at that from most computers. Recently my workplace has blocked it, or Google changed something and I get a 111 tunnel error now. But I can get to it from my phone if need be, just not as easy to read and I can't see all of my fancy charts and graphs that run off the spreadsheet.

I have an excel sheet for mine. I back it up on a thumb drive in case my computer crashes.

I keep a little notebook at home, but I also downloaded iBrewMaster for my iPod touch (also available on any Apple product). The app is GREAT! It comes with like 1000 recipes and then there is a way to set and make your own recipes and save them so you have them with you (I never leave home without my iPod touch).

QBrew -> Export as TXT -> Send to cell phone (email or USB) -> All brews are stored in phone memory and go everywhere I go.

I also save on my home hard drive and I print out a hardcopy to keep in my "beer folder".

See the iBrewMaster I have is basically qBrew as an app...you can make the recipes right there on your Apple product. I am not sure it is available on Android Market or not. I was browsing and found it on sale for $5. I have more than used it enough to justify it in my opinion.

Ossian666 wrote:

See the iBrewMaster I have is basically qBrew as an app...you can make the recipes right there on your Apple product. I am not sure it is available on Android Market or not. I was browsing and found it on sale for $5. I have more than used it enough to justify it in my opinion.

I just looked it up and they are working on an Android version.

For those among you who have Android phones / tablets, you may want to try these apps out.

BrewR
Brewzor Pro BETA
Brewing Assistant Free (There is also a paid non-ads version.)

I've downloaded and used all three of these programs, and there doesn't seem to be anything amiss with any of them. Of course, I can't speak for everyone, and you use at your own (albeit small) risk.
I hope this helps you guys.

I use QBrew to formulate recipes, but I transcribe those recipes into a composition notebook and keep my brew notes there.

I'm just old-fashioned (and technophobic) enough to prefer actually writing the stuff down by hand.

Guest System Admin

FedoraDave,

I understand that old-fashioned thinking. I write all my brewing journals in a spiral notebook. And just to make sure my wife will never find them, I keep them under a pile of laundry.

I formulate recipes using Q-brew, and also keep a log in Excel. I also post all my recipes here on the forum to get Borg feedback, but also to have a record that I can access from anywhere.

FedoraDave wrote:

I use QBrew to formulate recipes, but I transcribe those recipes into a composition notebook and keep my brew notes there.

I'm just old-fashioned (and technophobic) enough to prefer actually writing the stuff down by hand.

My handwriting is so bad I usually can't read whatever I wrote! I have to type everything if I want to be able to read it later. :lol:

Joechianti wrote:

FedoraDave,

I understand that old-fashioned thinking. I write all my brewing journals in a spiral notebook. And just to make sure my wife will never find them, I keep them under a pile of laundry.

:laugh:

Qbrew if I happen to be using MrB stuff, otherwise BeerSmith holds my recipes.

I use Google Docs to store my notes on timing, tasting dates, etc. so I can get to that from anywhere, though.

I've starting exporting my BS files to .txt files and storing them on GoogleDocs, too.