Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cleveland013

Brewed 2 Fruity "Hard" Drinks For My Wife!

Busy brew day. :laugh:

FINALLY got to make my two LBK's worth of "Mike's" type drinks.

Thanks so much to Swenocha for the basic recipe/base idea!!!

I do believe I will get around to making a lemonade and a limeade version soon for hot yard work days, but wanted to craft these two fruity batches for my wife.

Hope it turns out well, smelled good making it.

Below is the Qbrew recipes I used.

Cheers!

IMG_1618.JPG

Tina's Passionate Ride
----------------------
Brewer: Galletti Brewing Company
Style: Fruit Beer
Batch: 2.13 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.086 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 0 IBU
Recipe Color: 1° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.022
Alcohol by Volume: 8.4%
Alcohol by Weight: 6.6%

Ingredients
-----------
Cane Sugar 2.50 lb, Sugar, Other
Welch's Berry Sunsplash 0.47 lb, Sugar, Other
Welch's Passion Fruit 0.49 lb, Sugar, Other

Lactose 1.00 unit, Flavor, 1lb bag
Red Star Pasteur Champagne Yeast 1.00 unit, Other,

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:
Add 1/2 gallon of water to pot
Add sugar and lactose to water and boil to dissolve
Add 1 gallon of water to keg along with all 4 concentrates
Add wort to keg, top off with water
Aerate, pitch yeast, aerate

Batch Notes:
Planning on letting keg ferment 4 weeks minimum
Light carb - half of MB Beer recommended amount per bottle
Planning to condition 2 weeks

----------------------------------------

Tina's Berry Special Surprise
-----------------------------

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.083 OG
Estimated FG: 1.021
Alcohol by Volume: 8.0%
Alcohol by Weight: 6.3%

Ingredients
-----------
Minute Maid Berry Punch 0.40 lb, Sugar, Other
Welch's Strawberry Breeze 0.44 lb, Sugar, Other

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:

Batch Notes:

What temp are you fermenting at? Keep us updated, I would like to make something that my wife would enjoy since my flavored malt beverage experiment turned out to be a failure.

Per others I'm going to try to keep the fermenting temps around the low 70's, slightly higher if possible. I'll keep you updated :)

Bottling these 2 babies tomorrow.

We've had unseasonably warm weather here in the Cleveland, Ohio area so I believe these 2 LBK's stayed in the lower 70's most of the time, perhaps a tad hotter 1 or 2 days of the 4 week ferment.

Decided not to carbonate these as drinking from the bottle is par for the course on these type of drinks, plus I'm not sure carbonation and head will add anything to these fruit drinks.

I'll let you guys know how they came out! :)

BOTTLING DAY! Just finished bottling these 2. Got 20 12oz bottles out of each LBK.

First impressions, I was happy with them. In hindsight I probably went a tad high on the ABV, they are quite strong. :) May have to served them on the rocks to help dilute that a bit.

This was my first time using lactose and I can say I was very happy with the sweetness to the drinks. A 1# bag seems to be the right amount for the LBK size if you're looking for sweet.

Now just hoping the wife likes them, as I did make them for her. :)

Cheers!

[attachment=7658]bottles.jpg[/attachment]

So what would you do to cut down on the ABV? Also, since you didn't carb them do they need any conditioning time or are they ready to drink now?

ba1980 - I added 2.5 lbs of white table sugar to each batch.

In the future I'll probably sneak that down some to lower the ABV some.

As for conditioning, I'm going under the assumption they are ready to drink right now. I've got about half in the fridge and half upstairs in my "beer waiting room". I'll see if the warm ones taste any better.

As of right now we still haven't had a bottle yet, probably this weekend. :)

Cheers!

I was thinking of making one of these recipes for my wife and was wondering where you got your qbrew datafile containing the Welchs. As a side not, how did these batches turn out?

Guest System Admin

You ned to read the label and find out how much sugar or corn sugar per can

"chronichaos" post=253246 said:

I was thinking of making one of these recipes for my wife and was wondering where you got your qbrew datafile containing the Welchs. As a side not, how did these batches turn out?

+1

Chronichaos - Like Trollby said I read the label to see how much sugar was in it, converted the grams to pounds and manually added the data to my QBrew file for future use. :)

ALSO as for taste, we hurried up and made those to enjoy in the hot weather we were having and then we've gotten nothing but cold weather since.

So me and wife and I really haven't had the chance to enjoy them. BUT at bottling time they seemed to taste great. Sweetness seemed nice for this type of drink but as I mentioned before the 8% ABV is perhaps a bit high. ;)

I think they would be excellent blended up with some ice to make a frozen drink or mixed with Sprite. Although I'm sure they are going to be good straight up cold out of the fridge as well.

Yea...I've been waiting for a nice hot day so I can bust out some of my Cranberry Maibock to enjoy, but it looks like we have a couple weeks of cool weather still before that happens!

Well I made 2 batches, 1 lemonade and the other fruit punch. The lemonade was estimating at 11% :ohmy: . So I cut the sugar back to 1.5 pounds in the fruit punch and it brought it down to about 5%. I was hoping for around 6 or 7.

After reading in other forums, I got curious about how fermentation was going. The lemonade was down some, but the fruit punch was still sitting at the OG.

Cleveland, did you take a hydro sample any time before 4 wk mark?

ba1980, no I didn't. I've seen threads mentioning some hard lemonades can get stuck or slow start. In fact my LHBS said they almost always use a starter to get the yeast used to the acidic environment.

However since I was doing passion fruit and fruit punch versions I didn't think they would be too harsh for the yeast. So ultimately I trusted QBrew and didn't take any samples.

They both taste pretty strong so I'm fairly certain they came close the 8% ABV they were projected at.

I got a pretty quick start on both batches in regards to fermentation. Not much krausen but a lot of trub within days.

If you are having trouble with your fruit punch, what brand of frozen concentrate did you use? If it had preservatives in it that might be causing an issue.

Hopefully it begins to take off for you!

Let us know! :)

On a side note both batches got taste tested by several people this weekend and they were generally well received. :) A bit strong was the consensus, but after thinning it out a bit with some Sprite all were happy. :) Next time we're going to blend them up with some ice to make a frozen version.

The fruit punch had very little krausen the first day, it didn't even cover the top and also has very little trub. The sample I pulled was fizzy.

I used the Walmart brand, Great Value for both of them. I took a picture of the back of the can and see that the fruit punch has citric acid (for tartness). But I read online that that is used as a preservative. Would I be correct in assuming it was the citric acid that caused it? Is there anything that can be done?

The lemon doesn't have the citric acid listed and it produced about 1/8 inch of krausen for a few days and has trub.

Guest System Admin

All citrus fruit have natural citric acid, so they don't add any

No trub in the fruit punch batch, but there is in the lemonade.

Is there anything that can be done for the fruit punch or should I dump it?

Lets see if there is anything that can be done before you dump it.

What yeast did you end up using?

I used the Red Star Pasteur Champagne Yeast. I know that one needs a slightly higher temp than the MB yeast. I had mine ferment at the lower 70's for 4 weeks.

Depending on what yeast you used the temps might need to be adjusted to get the yeast going.

Also, as for the citric acid, my fruit punch concentrates had that as well so I don't think that's an issue.

Any other ingredients you used that might be interfering?

And finally, just a basic question, was the wort cool enough when you added the yeast? I know basic technique but worth asking. :)

My best suggestion is to perhaps warm up the fruit punch keg some and see if the fermentation takes off.

Or as a last resort throw in a couple of MB yeast packets if you have any extra.

Let us know...good luck

I went to Rozzi's in Lakewood to get some Lactose so I can make these recipes and they were all out! I am going to make these up this weekend.

Did you end up trying them without carbing and enjoy it as is or would you carb a future batch?

I am thinking that instead of 2.5 lbs. of sugar I'd just go with 1.5 lbs. to hopefully fix that higher ABV...

I did the 1.5 pounds in the fruit punch and it was about 5%.

Ossian666, we did try both batches this weekend. We didn't carb either batch. It wasn't bad at all.

Ultimately due to the higher ABV most people mixed it with some Sprite, which brought some carb to it by default.

I have to say I think it was better with the carb, but mixing in the Sprite did change the taste somewhat.

Next time I make them I think I will go ahead and carb them to half of the MB levels for beer to see if we like them like that.

----------

As for the ABV, I'm going to follow that line of thinking as well and cut the sugar back to around 1.5 lbs

Good luck with yours! Let me know how it came out.

"Cleveland013" post=259357 said:

Lets see if there is anything that can be done before you dump it.

What yeast did you end up using?

I used the Red Star Pasteur Champagne Yeast. I know that one needs a slightly higher temp than the MB yeast. I had mine ferment at the lower 70's for 4 weeks.

Depending on what yeast you used the temps might need to be adjusted to get the yeast going.

Also, as for the citric acid, my fruit punch concentrates had that as well so I don't think that's an issue.

Any other ingredients you used that might be interfering?

And finally, just a basic question, was the wort cool enough when you added the yeast? I know basic technique but worth asking. :)

My best suggestion is to perhaps warm up the fruit punch keg some and see if the fermentation takes off.

Or as a last resort throw in a couple of MB yeast packets if you have any extra.

Let us know...good luck

I used Red Star Premier Cuvée Dry Wine Yeast, the whole package, pitched in the mid 70's.

Just used the yeast, fruit punch, tap water (filtered as I do with all my beer batches) and sugar.

Last week I had the keg at about 66 degrees, but have since removed the water bottles and it has been at room temp (68 up to 74 degrees).

May try the ale yeast later tonight, if not it will be tomorrow.

I've run out of ideas other than pitching some new yeast.

I wasn't familiar with the Red Star Premier Cuvée Dry Wine Yeast so I googled it and it apparently has a range of 50 degrees to 80 degrees so your temps should be fine.

I hope the ale yeast works so you don't have to dump the batch.

On a side note are you back sweeting with lactose or something at bottling time since I didn't see it in your list of ingredients?

The yeast is what Mr. B had. I don't have a brew store anywhere close so I got it when I made my last order a few weeks back.

I'll be sweetening with xylitol at bottling.

Pitched 2 packages of Mr. B yeast at 72 degrees. Should I keep it in the mid 60's now instead of room temp (which happens to be 72 right now)?

I brewed up a very similar recipe on monday eveing and it just now started to ferment. The first night all the pulp clumped together and layed on top. Its all rolling over now at a pretty rapid pace and bubbles are rising. I used ec 1118 yeast 10 grams and was thinking I didnt hydrate it enough. Brew closet is at a consistent 69-70 degrees.

It's been about 22 hours since I re-pitched. Looks like there could be a little trub. There is quite a bit of fizz. Is fizz a good thing, does that mean it is working?

Guest System Admin

Lalvin yeast makes .....

Tiny bubbles in my brew makes me happy.......

oups, I mean yes the yeast makes very steady small fizzy looking bubbles when ever I used it

I pitched last night...gonna go home and check tonite how mine are doing. Did a Limeade and Berry Punch mixture in one and a Strawberry Breeze and Passion fruit mixture in the other.

I definitely went with 1.5 lbs of sugar.

Im thinking my hydrometer is on the skids. Fruity drinks came in with an OG of 1.054 and its still fermenting like mad going on 2.5 days. Ive never had a higher gravity beer show this much activity. I did use a cup full of raisins and had heard they are very fermentable. The color was a lite pink at the beginning and has now changed to a lite maroon color. Used ec 1118 yeast for this project. Just seems like an extraordinary amount of activity for a 1.054 OG. Im assuming hydrometers are vacuum sealed. Maybe mine is no longer a vacuum?

Well my fruit punch is done and the lemonade is very close if not done. Will take another hydro reading on the lemonade tomorrow.

They are both very sour which is to be expected. Going to cold crash a day or two, mainly for the lemonade as it still has lemon particles floating. The fruit punch tastes stronger than 5% and the lemonade definitely is stronger. Will bottle Wednesday and lightly bottle prime.

OK Gonna bottle this drink 2night. Taste test is almost like(check that) is exactly like a blush wine. I would have a glass of this strait up with a nice pair of grilled stuffed pork chops. I am going to bottle condition using a little sugar for some lite carbonation. I am also going to use true lemon and MIO Black Cherry.

Make sure if you used Champaign yeast that there is still some gravity left! I learned with my cider that if you aren't careful you won't have any carb.

Just finished bottling and they tasted and smelled amazing.

Added 3 paks Splenda to each 1 litre bottle
Added 1/4 tsp MIO Black Cherry to each1 litre bottle
Added 1/8 tsp immitation strawberry extract to each 1 litre bottle
Added 1 true lemon pak to each 1 litre bottle
Added 1 TBSP of table sugar to each 1 litre bottle

Out of all that...only the table sugar is fermentable(I hope). Nothing else has any carbs/sugars. If it doesnt carb, it tasted like a jacked up blush/chardonnay wine which are our favorites. We'll see.

Well after bottling the lemonade tonight, I can say I probably won't try these again. The lemonade, I could never get enough lemon taste back in it. Decided not to try to artificial sweeten so it leaves more room to experiment at drinking time since they are 11%.

You can always mix with a couple fingers of regular lemonade at pour time to get sweetness and lemon flavor. I'm partial to the TrueLemon to get back some lemon flavor if I find that the fermented result is missing that...

My wife finally talked me into making her a "Hard Passion Punch". I didn't use the 2.5lb of sugar though. Went with 2 lbs instead. Well see how it turns out in 4 wks.

:chug:

Alright I gotta ask the borg for advice on how to Carbonate this stuff. It tastes good, and I know it is done. The problem is that I know the yeast has fallen out since it is champaign yeast.

I have some Mr. Beer yeast packets that I will NEVER use, and figure maybe if I make a starter and put it in at bottling when I add the batch prime. Will this accomplish the goal or will this make every bottle I own explode?

Made my own version Holiday Punk Punch 4 cans fruit punch 1 can limeade 4 cups sugar 1 bag mulling spices 1 pack champaign yeast. Temp ran between 70-80 Brewed on 10/2/12 in hopes of drinking it on Thanksgiving, but its still bubbling away steadily after almost 8 weeks. Is that "normal"? Can fermentation get stuck "open"?
Ps. havent had a chance to say but thanks to all for tips and tricks over the past year, very helpful. Got my kit for Xmas last year and its been a fun hobby.
Tim

Mine fermented for 4 weeks. I used a hydrometer and knew when it couldnt go much lower and bottled them. 8 weeks seems like a bit long but if there is still consistent activity then it is what it is. I forgot about this thread, I have (2) L bottles still in the fridge from these. They were good in June/July so Im anxious to see how they are now.

Photon, did you back sweeten/flavor it? Mine never were drinkable, they tasted horrible. I ended up dumping all mine and since I moved a few months back it was too much trouble to move all the bad stuff.

I did back sweeten. I bottle primed with a little bit of sugar just to give it a fizz. Back sweetened with 1pak of true lemon, 2 paks splenda and a squirt of black cherry MIO per 1L bottle. The 2 I had the other night had been in the back of the fridge since july. Tasted like a blush wine without the dryness of a wine and a hint of cherry. Delicious. 2 liters sent me on my way to setting up the xmas tree and village/train set. I think it was too early for the decorations but we had company thursday and SWMBO had a list. It got done. :sweat:

"Cleveland013" post=239264 said:

Ingredients
-----------

Sorta new so excuse me if this is basic,
The ingredients 0.40 lb is this just a can of concentrate?

How come the ammount fluctuates.

Just Wondering

~worm

Worm,
It looks funny but that's the amount of sugar in each of the concentrate cans. It does vary by brand and type of concentrate. You look at the nutritional info on the can.

Take the grams of sugar per serving, multiply by the number of servings and then convert into pounds (just Google a conversion website) and plug that number into qBrew. ;)

:cheers:

This looks like a great idea. My wife likes the Mike's Hard Mango Punch, so I think I'll try to replicate it. There are some Latin grocery chains here that I know would have mango juice concentrate.

I've read of some trouble carbing when using the champagne yeast. Any insight on how to get that issue solved?

Mine were over carbed when I used champagne yeast, but I think that was because I didn't let it finish fermenting as it was still bubbly at bottling time (after 4 weeks of fermenting).

"Ossian666" post=266320 said:

Next time maybe try limeade. My limeade worked REALLY well.

Mind posting the recipe for a Limeade hard recipe...If it takes as long as you guys say for conditioning , I should get to this for spring / summer at the water, for the ladies.

~worm

"Cleveland013" post=239264 said:

Busy brew day. :laugh:

FINALLY got to make my two LBK's worth of "Mike's" type drinks.

Thanks so much to Swenocha for the basic recipe/base idea!!!

I do believe I will get around to making a lemonade and a limeade version soon for hot yard work days, but wanted to craft these two fruity batches for my wife.

Hope it turns out well, smelled good making it.

Below is the Qbrew recipes I used.

Cheers!

IMG_1618.JPG

Tina's Passionate Ride
----------------------

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.086 OG
Estimated FG: 1.022
Alcohol by Volume: 8.4%
Alcohol by Weight: 6.6%

Ingredients
-----------

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:

Batch Notes:

----------------------------------------

Tina's Berry Special Surprise
-----------------------------

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.083 OG
Estimated FG: 1.021
Alcohol by Volume: 8.0%
Alcohol by Weight: 6.3%

Ingredients
-----------

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:

Batch Notes:

Thanks. My wife likes those fruity drinks too, think I'll give them a try :gulp:

They are pretty good. The fermentation process does strip a little of the fruit flavor out. But you can always mix it with a bit of juice or Sprite.

Mine were uncarbonated so I can't attest how well the Champagne yeast carb.

My only suggestion based off making these is to cut back on the sugar a bit. 8% ABV is a bit too strong for these types of drinks. ;)

Making cider and wine is actually very easy. Making one that everyone likes is almost impossible. Selfishly, I always made mine to my own taste and if anyone else liked it, they could have some. I tried making them specifically for other people, and I'm just about ready to give up, due to frustration. My wife actully hates the taste of alcohol. She wants a cider that has a nice apple flavor, some carbonation and no alcohol taste. No matter what I've tried, she always says she can taste the alcohol. I bought a bottle of Martinelli's with no alcohol and put it in a glass She said I finally did it. It was perfect.
:shoot: :pound:

I always hate necro'ing old threads.. But I think its better then asking a redudant question

does the US-05 add an ale taste to the mike's drink or should I stick with the champagne yeast?

Just getting my ducks in a row for making a similar drink

~worm

I havent used anything but the champagne yeast. i have to condition mine for 3+ months forthe dryness to fade. I am going to give it another try with US05 or Nottingham. They ferment very clean so Im hoping that any ale taste will fade with conditioning. Ive been playing around with these drinks and feel Im getting closer to the right combo. Good Luck.

This is one brew thats for the SWMBO's that drop in and probably won't be drank by myself (unless it turns out horrible)

But luckily I won't be at the lake for months.. So I have time on my side..

~worm

"electricworm" post=318827 said:

I always hate necro'ing old threads.. But I think its better then asking a redudant question

does the US-05 add an ale taste to the mike's drink or should I stick with the champagne yeast?

Just getting my ducks in a row for making a similar drink

~worm

In another thread about lemonades, Trollby wrote:

Lalvin 71B-1122 is a sweet wine yeast, it will not make the drink dry

Sound like good advice to me. I have tried ale yeast and wasn't happy with the results and I am currently trying Lavlin EC-1118, a champagne yeast, and am not sure how it will work out, but this sounds like it might be my next option.

Good luck with your effort worm, and please post the results! This seems to be very much a trial and error type of thing, so the more we can learn from each other the better.

Does it have a malt flavor like Mike's? If it doesn't can you add a malt extract to kinida give it that Mike's like flavor and if so how much. I'm very interested in this recipe. I like it the way it is actually, but my wife like the way Mike's has that malty like flavor to it.

I added a pound of light malt to my cider and I can't taste it.

Having a hard time finding the frozen concentrates, so I plan on buying the juices today in the reconctituted form and trying these. Also am going to get some mango juice and frozen chunks from trader Joes and make a Mango punch.

Will be bottling both of these this weekend, I cold crashed the Fruit punch, and I will be racking the Mango to Secondary to eliminate the leftover Junk, liquid is extremely clear on the Mango.