Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ben_postgate

Steeping Starter?

I'm due to place an online order for some more ingredients (after getting the green-light from the Mrs!) and I'm keen to advance onto steeping grains rather than standard extract with hop boil brews. What would be the best grains to buy to kick up the extract brews a notch or two?

Would it be prudent to buy a couple of kg of pilsner malt and CaraPils and put a couple of extract recipes through QBrew, or am I on the completely wrong path? I like IPAs and Blond ales.

Once again TIA and cheers.

You can't steep pilsner malt.

Carapils or Carafoam is good to help with body head retention.

Crystal malts are good for that too, and add varous levels of sweetness, maltiness, caramel and toffee flavors.

Based on what you said you like to brew,, try come carapils or carafoam, and some light crystal malts (10L, 20L, 40L, or CaraVienna).

Maybe start out with some Carapils .25 - .50 lbs for 30 mins @ 155°F to add body and head retention, then use UME,DME,LME and a hop boil in lue of the booster.

Guest System Admin

+1 to what Mashani said. All my research (and limited experience) says carapils and light colored crystals are what you seek.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Malts_Chart

This is a very handy chart that tells you the characteristics of various malts and grains, as well as whether a mash is required or not.

I refer to it so often, I eventually printed it out and keep it with my recipe book.

For now, CaraPils and light crystals will serve you well, but eventually your tastes may change and you might want to try a black IPA, or you'll feel adventurous and want to attempt a partial mash, and having this chart will really help you hone your recipe.

if you can steep then you can partial mash I think you will enjoy the results better. After the PM is done your wort is all ready for the hop boil and your extracts at the end.

haerbob3 wrote:

if you can steep then you can partial mash I think you will enjoy the results better. After the PM is done your wort is all ready for the hop boil and your extracts at the end.

+1
Or just BIAB AG but a PM is a great brew as well.

For steeping grains, depending on the style I'm brewing, I find myself using CaraPils, Golden Naked Oats, Belgian CaraVienne, Caramel 40, CaraHell, Caramel Wheat, Special B, and Pale Chocolate most often.

Thanks for the pointers and suggestions everyone. I ordered 500g of CaraPils and 500g of a light crystal. What sort of ratio, percentage or weight should I be looking at for using the crystal malt?

Cheers!