Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest System Admin

HOLY SH*T!

Guest System Admin

I just now realized that I'm having WAY more fun making beer than I ever had drinking it.

On top of that, my wife is happy, since I now make sure that the kitchen is always clean since I work in there too now.

Did this happen to anyone else out there, or is there just something wrong with me now?

Not just you. SWMBO always knew when it was brew day, because I would clean the kitchen.

There's something wrong with you...and me too. The clean kitchen was nice for the SWMBO but not the bottles so I ended up getting kicked out of the kitchen...into my very own brew room.

Guest System Admin

There's something wrong with you.
JUST KIDDING! I'm right there with you. Except I have AS MUCH fun brewing as drinking, not more. I still love to drink it. But yes, the wife is happier. And brewing it is a BLAST!

Guest System Admin

So it's not at all unusual to feel that if the house was on fire we should get all the beer stuff out and then go back for the wife and kids? What a relief!

Guest System Admin

Good point, Betolis. That's using your head.

Yes it such an obsession. I wear beer clothes all the time. Constantly checking my brews in the keg, on the shelf. Thinking of names & labels. Looking at Mr beer website, Rebel Brewer, Norther Brewer, Hopville.
Hanging at DeCicco's, Capt Lawrence. Brew Club. Trading brews with strangers. And working the GABF. I already booked next year!
Yeah, I admit it. I'm obsessed. beer_chart-20120227.jpg

I'm totally feeling the same way... except my girlfriend thinks I talk too much about beer now!

Guest System Admin

Beerlabelman,

Looks like you might be the president when we form our support group.

Joechianti wrote:

I just now realized that I'm having WAY more fun making beer than I ever had drinking it.

On top of that, my wife is happy, since I now make sure that the kitchen is always clean since I work in there too now.

Did this happen to anyone else out there, or is there just something wrong with me now?

I only one maybe two beers a day. But I am constantly thinking about making beer.

Drives LOML crazy.

my wife has a craft room and now she loves that I make beer because we spend time in the same room doing our own hobbies. I must admit its fun to hang out with her doing separate things we both really enjoy doing.

Another benefit to this is that my basement storage area has been converted into a makeshift brewery. This means I cleaned it out and organized that half of the room.

What really made the wife happy is that I have the shelf set up like a self-serve liquor store. Once I have a significant stock, it will be like going to my favorite brew shop and I can do a mix and match six-pack each weekend.

Waiting is the hardest part of all this though for me now. I know in two months I will be swimming in beer, but having just started it's so hard.

Guest System Admin

Billbofet, I feel your pain on the waiting. Especially the ones that tasted good at bottling time. I just got done bottling a Duppel Trouble.
Mr Beer recipe all the way. It tasted real good while warm and flat, can't wait to get it carbinated!

You are right on point. Just wait until you start doing 5 gal batches. The most rewarding part of brewing is when you give beers to your friends, and they like them. The next step for you is to build up a pipeline where you really don't have worry about waiting for the beer to finish. This is the worst part of starting out. Get yourself a couple more LBKs or a 6 gal fermenter for doing recipe kits. It's a good thing that I don't live close to Austin Home Brewing like you, because I'd spend way too much money there.

Does anyone find they started drinking more after they got into home-brewing?

losman26 wrote:

Does anyone find they started drinking more after they got into home-brewing?

I think I'm drinking higher quality, but lower quantity.

I perhaps drink just as much but it's better and often lower in alcahol (yes those things can mix when you make real beer!).

And yes, brewing beer is much more addictive then drinking it I think. I enjoy brewing, cooking, baking, to me it's all quite relaxing and fulfilling.

I'm so glad to be in such good company.

Heck, I started my first batch exactly 7 weeks ago. Now I have 5 LBK's, 6 batches at various stages of completion, 5 new spigots, 18 more refills in the house, plus a few pounds of various grains to spice the refills up.

I've given a MB kit to a friend for his birthday, a lady at work wants me to get her started making beer, and I have my sights set on indoctrinating a few of my sons, too.

I haven't felt this way since I tossed and turned all night long waiting for the sun to come up so I could go outside and play stick ball. And that was over 40 years ago.

I believe if all the world leaders started brewing beer, there would be no more wars. B)

Joechianti wrote:

I'm so glad to be in such good company.

Heck, I started my first batch exactly 7 weeks ago. Now I have 5 LBK's, 6 batches at various stages of completion, 5 new spigots, 18 more refills in the house, plus a few pounds of various grains to spice the refills up.

I've given a MB kit to a friend for his birthday, a lady at work wants me to get her started making beer, and I have my sights set on indoctrinating a few of my sons, too.

I haven't felt this way since I tossed and turned all night long waiting for the sun to come up so I could go outside and play stick ball. And that was over 40 years ago.

I believe if all the world leaders started brewing beer, there would be no more wars. B)

If your sons are interested in it all definitely get them started! Brewing with my father has been great bonding time, we talk nearly every day about how the fermentation is progressing and what we might want to try making next.

Guest System Admin

Jon,

Thanks for the encouragement with the sons. I sure will.

Mashani,

I think you just coined a bumper sticker, there.

The creative process is always more rewarding than merely enjoying the product of someone else's creativity.

From what I've observed and experienced, the tendency for new brewers to keep expanding eventually reaches the balancing point. Are six LBKs too much? For some, yes. For others, no. Every person will have to find their own balance.

One of the most satisfying things, for me, is the realization I had recently that I haven't bought very much beer at the store lately, unless I wanted to try a certain style that intrigued me. I no longer have to buy beer in order to have beer in the house, in other words.

Guest System Admin

Dave,

I believe you're right about that. I have found that rotating three LBK's right now is very comfortable for me. Every weekend (give or take a day) I bottle one up, clean it out and start another batch.

Until the first batch was ready to drink, it was like water torture to wait. But now that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I'm feeling more relaxed.

I have a couple more LBK's, but I'm not sure I'll want to pick up the pace anytime soon. Time will tell. For now, they might allow me to batch prime or make cider or something.

Anyway, I think you hit the nail on the head about the furious growth rate in the beginning until the comfortable level is reached and the growth slows down or stops.

You're a pretty smart guy. But keep that under your hat.

I have three LBKs, but currently only use two in regular rotation. But that's because I also do five-gallon batches within my brewing rotation. Before then, I did have all three going in the same manner you do; three weeks fermenting, then bottle, clean, and brew. Every week.

That's still what I do, as you can see by the dates of each brew in my sig. With the five-gallon batches, it keeps the pipeline full, and with three batches in rotation, it keeps the variety interesting.

Beer is all i think about!I have 3 LBKsand am pretty comtable right now keeping them going!Its funny i told my wife and kids all i want for my birthday,fathers day is mr.beer gift certificates!Cheers!

I enjoy brewing beer more than drinking it. That's why I have over 200 bottles of finely crafted beer in my man cave. It drives me up a wall when I want to brew but know I won't have enough empties before it is ready to bottle.

Gymrat wrote:

I have over 200 bottles of finely crafted beer in my man cave.

Slacker. Get busy and build a pipeline.

Gymrat wrote:

I enjoy brewing beer more than drinking it. That's why I have over 200 bottles of finely crafted beer in my man cave. It drives me up a wall when I want to brew but know I won't have enough empties before it is ready to bottle.

That sounds like an invitation to me!

Does anybody else think we should have our next Brewer's Meeting at gymrat's house? ;)

Spucky wrote:

Beer is all i think about!I have 3 LBKsand am pretty comtable right now keeping them going!Its funny i told my wife and kids all i want for my birthday,fathers day is mr.beer gift certificates!Cheers!

I've done exactly the same thing. The birthday is in a couple of weeks and all I'm hoping for are enough gift certificates to feed the habit...

magsvmi wrote:

Spucky wrote:

I've done exactly the same thing. The birthday is in a couple of weeks and all I'm hoping for are enough gift certificates to feed the habit...

That's not a bad idea. My wife usually agonizes over what to get me for my birthday. I think I have some ideas. BTW I'm thinking about brewing more than drinking, but I still enjoy the drinking part :evil:

Guest System Admin

Of course I still enjoy the drinking part too. But my attitude has changed about drinking, especially beer.

I have a new appreciation for the product and the process. And I tell all my young adult kids, "This beer is to be savored and appreciated, after all the work and patience that went into it. I'm happy to share. But if you want to suck down a bunch real fast and get sh*t faced, you better bring some of that stuff from the grocery store with you".

USMCMatt wrote:

Yeah I'm sure we can handle his "problem"

Count me in, I can drink his beer and play with his dog. That would be awesome.

It's like the weed days when getting it, smelling it, playing with it, clipping it, and on and on was just as fun as smoking it.

Guest System Admin

I see what you mean. I just had to talk myself out of getting my 6th LBK.

Gymrat wrote:

That's another thing I've noticed. My production is pretty much matching my consumption. I can bottle every week and I know I'm going to have enough "just emptied" bottles to cover it.

I think I've hit upon the Zen of Homebrewing!

Brewing is one of hobbies that I'm known for now. Demand always outpaces supply; if I ever have an excess of brew, I have a lot of friends & co-workers who are always willing to sample any & all bottles I give away.

You guys would certainly be welcome to help me empty bottles if your ever in town.

Gymrat wrote:

You guys would certainly be welcome to help me empty bottles if your ever in town.

[copy...paste to notebook...print]

I believe we have our official invitation! :)

You're a scholar and a gentleman, gymrat!

Yea i like brewing beer just as much as drinking it. I only have room for 2 lbk's though. Thats all the space the ol' lady was willing to give up, haha. I dont plan on keeping them in constant rotation. Just whenever I have some extra cash to burn, I'll brew some beer. It's fun, much more than I expected it to be. Even with all the waiting, I'm still constantly checking to make sure temps are maintained, bottles arent bursting, and I'm always on here finding new information. I love it...

Guest System Admin

[copy...paste to notebook...print]

I believe we have our official invitation!

You're a scholar and a gentleman, gymrat!

I could drive a long time for a beer! (and have before)