Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ekirch

Witty Monk

I'm brewing up a batch of Witty Monk. What experience have people had with this brew in how long you've left it in the fermenter. I was planning a a solid three weeks, but just wanted to check if people have had better luck with more or less time in the fermenter with this recipe. How about proper conditioning time? I'm planning on being extremely patient with this one so I can welcome Spring properly this year. Any other tidbits of advice regarding this recipe would be welcome!

Witty Monk was one of my favorite MB recipes. Fermented for 3 weeks, tester at 2.5 weeks in the bottle (I was very impatient...), and it went into the drinking rotation at 4 weeks in the bottle. I modified mine with an extra pound of DME, a short hop boil with some Saaz hops, and used 3 MB yeast packs. Ended up like a maltier version of Blue Moon. Was very happy with this one.

What GWCR said is also how I make my Witty Monk, use an almost identical recipe.

I like it best with the fromunda yeast believe it or not. 3-4 packs of it as GWCR said. I've done it with T-58 and an actual WIT liquid strain, but to me it's best just with the plain old fromunda.

I add extra orange zest to my witty monk. I love the orange to shine through.
Overall my favorite brew.

I was thinking of making a whispering wheat and adding coriander and orange zest to compare.

Also, welcome

Onmy list next along with the Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout!Good luck!cheers B)

I just did this one 2 days ago. I went with a pound of DME as well, used a Belgian Wheat yeast (can't remember what one and my notebook is in another room), did a short Saaz boil, and I added a bit of lemon and lime zest for that extra flavor to push it as close to Shock Top as I could.

Same here WM is enjoyed by all in the house. I have two LBKs going with Wicked Monk which is WM with a can of pale export. Mixed coriander, orange zest and saazs hops in different combos in each one and used Safbrew WB-06.

What made you pick WB-06?

I used the W-34 thinking it would be great for a wheat beer. I usually just trust what is written on descriptions for yeasts because I still don't understand the yeast differences entirely.

Ossian666 wrote:

What made you pick WB-06?

I used the W-34 thinking it would be great for a wheat beer. I usually just trust what is written on descriptions for yeasts because I still don't understand the yeast differences entirely.

You are brewing a lager with wheat and stuff in it. That's something I've never done, so I can't tell you what it will be like except for crisp and clean like a lager if you are keeping your ferementation temperatures in lager range. (low 50s). The "stuff" should shine through.

Where WB-06 that he used is going to add mild clove flavors and other spicy notes, and some ale like fruityness. You won't get any of that (except perhaps fruityness if you are not fermenting at proper lager temperatures). But your "stuff" should be more up front then his "stuff".

Ekirch, 3 weeks in the fermenter should be perfect. I find that witbiers, unlike some other styles, don't benefit from extended ageing, so no need to be extremely patient -- I'd be drinking them 6 weeks after bottling. I agree with the others who suggested coriander and orange peel. As for yeast, I prefer Brewferm Blanche.

When you guys talk about adding Orange Zest and coriander... Is this being added directly to the MBK... or are you boiling it with the wort? I'm interested in learning the do's and don'ts in regards to this. If there is another thread that talks about this that would be helpful.

I just started a Witty Monk last sunday... with 3 Frumundas. Got it fermenting between 70-71F. Just wondering if I can add anything at this point or if it's too latedangerous. =)

Thanks for the tips!

The guy at my LHBS suggested that I add my lemon and lime zest that I put in mine to the bag of Saaz hops I was doing a 15 min boil and then dry hop with. So it got a short 15 min boil and then the zest is sealed in a nice bag in my fermenter.

I added 1 lb of wheat DME, did a 15 minute boil with .25 oz of Northern Brewer and .25 oz Saaz. Used the W-06 wheat yeast. This is one of my favorites and I really am not a huge wheat beer fan.