Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mmmmBeeeer

Hit or Miss Head?

So my second batch tastes pretty darn good. WWW + HCCD. I am confused though. some of the bottles have a picture perfect head on them and others have zero. they all have bubbles coming up from the bottom but there is a huge difference in the head. I bottle primed them using screwys calc. I just dont get it....

If you bottle primed, the amount of sugar may be a bit different in each bottle. Especially if you went by volume rather than weight (tsps vs grams or ounces). Other things to consider, how you pour, clean dry glass, clean wet glass, not so clean glass, etc...

Try batch priming and see if you have more consistent results.

I would like to batch prime. i need to get an auto-siphon though...i knew i should have gotten one when i was at the home brew store.

Could be several different things. Slight variation in the amount of sugar, sugar not fully dissolved but probably just caps not properly sealed. If you use plastic bottles and caps you should check the caps several times while they are carbing just be sure that they are tight.

I should have mentioned that. I used glass and a wing capper.... one night for example I had 2 bottles that were exactly the same (both red stripe) one hade beautiful head one had none but had decent carb. both glasses were clean and dry.....

GWCR wrote:

If you bottle primed, the amount of sugar may be a bit different in each bottle. Especially if you went by volume rather than weight (tsps vs grams or ounces). Other things to consider, how you pour, clean dry glass, clean wet glass, not so clean glass, etc...

Try batch priming and see if you have more consistent results.

Yes a lot of variables there on bottle primming, but if you try to be consistent it should have good results. I've learned that there is a science in pouring a good beer, go easy at first, if it looks like it's not going head up, hit it harder.

Randy Mosher actually suggests in Tasting Beer that you pour the beer straight down into the middle of the glass, wait for the foam to subside a bit and pour more if necessary. I've gotta say this can be really time consuming and seemingly pointless for really heady beers, but I often do follow this advice for regular or low-head beers.