Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MedWonk

Cracked open first WCPA

...and it tastes kinda like a somewhat better PBR. So, success?

The beer was a little overcarbonated, maybe. Next time, I'll shoot for the lower end of Screwy's recommendation.

Otherwise, it's certainly beer, so I can't complain.

Congrats on opening!
I am anxiously awaiting my grand opening. Only been in the bottle for two weeks, how long did you wait. It might need more time

I've opened 2 of mine so far, 1 at 2 weeks and 1 at 3 weeks. 2 weeks was undrinkable. At 3 weeks it was drinkable but it still needed more time. Will try another one at 4 weeks.

I tried my first WCPA tonight as well! I agree, nothing special, but drinkable for sure. I wasn't too impressed with the first sip, but it grew on me a bit as I finished it. My carbonation was maybe just a bit much, but not bad. I had mine in the fermenter for 2 and 1/2 weeks, carbed and conditioned for 4, then a day and a half in the fridge. I've got three more in the fridge that I'll give another week before I touch, then a bunch more still conditioning at room temp. It didn't taste too different than it did out of the fermenter on bottling day. That gives me hope for the IPA I bottled a week ago, because that was tasty straight out of the LBK!

I thought the same thing when I did my first batch of WCPA. I fermented a little over 2 weeks and had a test taste after 2 weeks bottled. Not bad but just beer. After the 3rd week it got a little better. It has body and some enough carb and it's not bad...actually it's beer just that it's not what I like (I like the hoppy stuff).

That said, it was a decent quality. Kinda reminded me of a glorified Coors Golden maybe.

While I won't brew that again as is, I have brewed it with a hopped up and LME added brew that is currently fermenting so I'll see how that goes in a few weeks.

ba1980 wrote:

I've opened 2 of mine so far, 1 at 2 weeks and 1 at 3 weeks. 2 weeks was undrinkable. At 3 weeks it was drinkable but it still needed more time. Will try another one at 4 weeks.

Wow..I need to be patient. My WCPA has been bottled for one week. I'm itchin' to try one. They are super clear in the bottle, and I put one in the fridge this afternoon. Am I crazy for wanting to try it already? :blink:

hilkertj wrote:

ba1980 wrote:

Wow..I need to be patient. My WCPA has been bottled for one week. I'm itchin' to try one. They are super clear in the bottle, and I put one in the fridge this afternoon. Am I crazy for wanting to try it already? :blink:

I know its hard, but try to wait. My first one at four weeks even probably would benefit from more time.

Bramstoker17 wrote:

I know its hard, but try to wait. My first one at four weeks even probably would benefit from more time.

Dang it Bram, I was afraid that would be the recommendation.

I have them (WCPA bottles) scheduled to be refrigerated on 3/19. I've got 2 other batches brewing and waiting to be bottled, so I'm antsy. Thanks for the advice. I'll just leave the one in the fridge for cold conditioning. :freeze:

hilkertj wrote:

Bramstoker17 wrote:

Dang it Bram, I was afraid that would be the recommendation.

I have them (WCPA bottles) scheduled to be refrigerated on 3/19. I've got 2 other batches brewing and waiting to be bottled, so I'm antsy. Thanks for the advice. I'll just leave the one in the fridge for cold conditioning. :freeze:

Haha sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

I fermented 3 weeks, then carbed/condition for 6. So, I did the 3/3/3 plan.

I imagine doing an all-malt recipe will taste much better, so that's what I'll be doing next. Haven't decided which recipe, I'll do yet, though.

MedWonk wrote:

I imagine doing an all-malt recipe will taste much better, so that's what I'll be doing next. Haven't decided which recipe, I'll do yet, though.

Speaking of all malts - I have the Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout almost ready for bottling. It was a premium (double HME) recipe (no booster) and a St. Patrick's Irish Stout (regular refill with booster). I love the smell when the wort is being made. All malts are my favorite. :stout:

I recently tried my inaugural WCPA at about 4 weeks. At first I was a little disappointed because it tasted like Bud, but it was totally beer. I'm conditioning the rest for a retry at 8 weeks. That said, the vets who say to do the simple recipes (correctly) first are totally right. My first two brews gave me enough confidence that this weekend I mixed it up. I did my first grain steep, hop boil, used a non-frumunda yeast and I'm going to dry hop that batch as well. This is becoming an expensive, and awesome, hobby.

Try early and try often - that's how you'll learn the benefits of time and conditioning.

And I highly recommend re-doing the WCPA with a can of Pale UME right away so you can taste the difference it makes. It's not a bad brew at all - just a bit "meh" when done as a basic refill.

hilkertj wrote:

ba1980 wrote:

Don't fridge that bottle yet...it needs more time to carb.

livewirecs wrote:

Don't fridge that bottle yet...it needs more time to carb.

Yes sir! :sweat:

Congrats to all the newbies on making beer. Yeah, the basic refills are very light, but drinkable. If it tastes like (insert mass produced beer here) then yeah - you made beer. You can do it, and you can do it better than they do.

The first batches are to teach you patience and the process and give you time to delve into the science and craft of brewing - there is a LOT to it. The good news is - now you KNOW you can do it. Just do a couple of the basic batches, and start learning about the malt/adjunct ratio, adding extra malt, grains, hops etc. Soon you will be making stuff that they will be jealous of in StL, Golden, Milwaukee etc :)

Cheers
jeff