Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ba1980

Pumpkin Porter or Lager Questions

So is the Pumpkin Porter or Lager like the Chocolate Covered Cherries where it is recommended to add the fruit 1 week into fermentation instead of at the beginning?

I haven't decided on whether to make the Porter or the Lager, but I have the ingredients for either one. How big of a difference will the Mellow Amber change the taste of the WCPA? That is probably my determining factor as to which pumpkin brew I do. If it doesn't change a bunch, then I will mix it with the pumpkin and do the creamy brown with WCPA for a deluxe kit.

I have not done either of those recipes ..
I did a pumpkin spice porter with nutmeg cinnamon and allspice added to the boil at 10 minutes before flameout...
It was a very tasty brew...
No actual pumpkin in the brew...
But everyone thought there was

Guest System Admin

I think it's just a matter of what you prefer. If you like a darker beer go with with the Porter. If you prefer a Lager, go with that. That's just me though.

I'm wrestling with the same issue for the Fall, which one to try. I think I'm leaning more towards the Lager as I don't know how the pumpkin will play out. Plus, most pumpkin type brews I've had are ale's or lager's and not porters.

I can't find pumpkin beers where I live (small town plus being in Oklahoma I'm sure doesn't help). So I figured I would make one to see if I even like them.

+ 1 on making what you have a taste for. I dont know if I would make a pumpkin porter...........but then again I dont like porters

Well I don't know what I like either haven't had many micro brews.

But the thing I'm more concerned with is when to add the pumpkin? Instructions say at the beginning, but the recommendation for chocolate covered cherries is 1 week in.

I don't care for Pumpkin or Porters, but last year it was a hot topic on here for a little bit. So I decided to try it out anyways.

I used the bigger can (28-30oz, I think)of Pumpkin mix and added it when I first mixed my wort.

Other than having the obvious LOTS OF TRUB and leftovers - which covered my spigot (had to syphon to a secondary) it was probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite brew so far.

Cheers!
:chug:

Guest System Admin

Yeah brew what you like! Shipyard brewing makes a "Smashed Pumpkin" which I absolutely enjoy in the Fall months.

I actually combined to two recipes by including both the Mellow Amber and the Creamy Brown (but skipped the brown sugar). If it's not too late, you may want to consider doing that. No need to wait a week to add the pumpkin. I added it as instructed, and it turned out well.

Ok well I made the Pumpkin Lager (about 23oz of pumpkin added at 1wk). I probably won't do it again unless it tastes great as I didn't like having to siphon it out. Even after siphoning, I still had lots of trub in the bottles. Since I was having to go to a secondary, I batch primed it too. It only made about 6 quarts.

But something had made an impression on me. A few days after bottling the trub bottle had a good inch of trub or pumpkin in it. Now 3 weeks later it has about 1/4 inch. I've decided to sample it at just shy of 3 weeks (in bottle).

I'm a little late to the party on this one, but I too brewed up the Pumpkin Lager a few weeks ago. Bottled it almost two weeks ago. When I bottled, I used the MrB funnel to help strain the pumpkin and trub. The funnel worked well and I didn't have difficulties bottling, except at the beginning when I overfilled the first couple of bottles.

I followed the recipe and added all my ingredients up front.

I'm planning on putting a couple of bottles in the frig at about the 3 week mark and then try them at the 4 week mark.

Rick

I'd like to hear how yours tastes.

One thing I did while making the wort, is I forgot to add the brown sugar when taking the water off the heat so I just dumped it in the keg when I realized what I had done (before pitching the yeast).

Guest System Admin

I'm seeing progress here....I'm going to have to pay attention to what you guys are doing. Next thing you know it'll be time to make stuff for Fall!

I'm not caring much for it right now. The pumpkin is overpowering. If I make it again (that is if), I think I would add the pumpkin to the wort and only use about 13oz.

Or just do as yankeedag suggested in the chat room the other night and use pumpkin pie spice only.

Well it has now been in the bottle for 7 weeks. I got curious and decided to try it again.

The flavors have melded alot better. The pumpkin is still there, but not nearly as strong as it was before. Will try it again in 3 weeks which will be 2.5 months (what one review recommended).