Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ZeeBeer

Priming for Porter

So I have not been on in a while (several months actually) but I have brewed several batches since then and have turned out some great beers and some that still need a little tweeking, but they were still drinkable.

So I am going to brew a dessert porter in a few weeks after my Summer Ale has finished fermenting. My question is for the bottle priming should I use the white granulated sugar or go crazy and try using brown sugar? I know that the brown will add a little flavor/color but it is a porter. If I did use the brown sugar how much should I use? Same as recommended for 12oz bottles?

Cheers!

You might want to check out screwy brewer website for calculating priming amount for proper carbination of your porter. This calculation takes into account fermenting temp so keep that in mind. I use mostly granulated sugar but have used brown and dme before. Go with the brown.

Great thanks

Is there any difference in the carbonation between the granulated and the brown? Should I use slightly more/less relative to what the screwy brewer calculates?