Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jcubz

Malting

So when I am malting with grains (like flaked corn), how long should I boil the grains? I am planning on adding some extra malts to my next batch and I thought Id try it without DME and just try boiling actual grains.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

You don't boil the grains, just to let you know!
Check out youtube for mash tutorials, they are really helpful.
Also check into the BIAB (brew in a bag) method as it is much easier for beginners

Guest System Admin

In addition to the videos you'll find online, if you go to the Advanced Brewing Techniques category on this forum and find any chart from BrewSupplies.com, you'll find a treasure chest of information there.

You'll be amazed at what you'll learn from studying all those links on the right of the page. Pure GOLD.

If you are working with cereal adjuncts and need to do a cereal mash you would boil the adjuncts first. However, if you're working with adjuncts that are already flaked (such as flaked corn), they have already been gelatinized and don't need a cereal mash. So you would mash them like any other grains...however you are best off mashing (vs. steeping) so get some base malt and do a small partial mash.

Cheers!

The word you are looking for is "mashing". "Malting" is the process of beginning the germanating process then kilning the grain.

exactly what are you trying to do, to brew etc? Boiling your grain is going to led to some very gross flavors. Can't tell form your post if you are steeping,PM or AG

I'll check out the info you guys provided.

I'm a bog time novice and I really appreciate your help.

Im trying to add more malt to my beer without using DME... or atleast thats the goal. DME just doesnt sound good to me for some reason.

is it good enough? and if so what brands are good?

?

I'm trying to add more malt to my beer without using DME........DME just doesn't sound good to me for some reason.

?

I am sorry I do not understand. You can add malt by mashing,
LME (hopped or unhopped) or by DME. Flaked grains are not malt, they are cereal and if you use too much you will get an off flavored beer

Tells exactly what you want. Are you looking to gain ABV, more malt flavor, more IBUs ect?