Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Longtrain

Carbination Questions

I'm a newbie to Mr. Beer having finished my first kit, the standard IPA, which came out very well.

I finished my second kit, Octoberfest, I fermented the batch to specifications and prior to bottling I had a flat beer with no sweetness, fermentation went fine. I bottled it in 12 oz bottles with 3/4 tsp of corn sugar instead of granulated white sugar, and additionally I carbed a few with carb tabs, using 4 and 5 tabs as a test.

I have let the bottles carb in the cellar, ~65 F for 3 weeks, I placed one of the carb tabbed and corn sugar bottled in the frig, and after a couple of days of chilling, I opened them up for a taste.

Well, the carb tabbed beer was flat, no carbination at all, the corn sugar bottle was lightly carbed, the head disappeared in 3 minutes. The beer tasted ok, just pretty flat.

So, did I screw up going to corn sugar or get the amount wrong or do they just have to sit for a while longer?

Thanks for your help,

Tony

Guest System Admin

Before you condition, you're supposed to let them carb at room temp for two weeks. After that you condition for another two, that can be done at room temp or cold conditioned....where you have it now. I think if you get them to a warmer environment for two weeks you should be fine.

Typically when a beer is flat, it means you need more time for the yeast to work at room temperature. Depending on how much stuff you toss in your brews, and how healthy your yeast was when you pitched it, impacts on how quickly it carbonates. Take it all out of the fridge and let it sit in a quiet place for another couple of weeks, then try one bottle and see how much the carbonation has improved.

Thanks, cellar was a bit too cold I guess. Upstairs they go and I'll check them in a couple of weeks.

BTW, is there any difference in the amount of priming sugar when using corn sugar vs. white granulated. (I have another batch of Mad Dog IPA that is just about ready for bottling)

Thanks,

Tony

Welcome aboard The Obsession Longtrain! If you're like the rest of us here you'll soon be awash in a sea of beer and setting sail on many great brewing adventures. There's lot's of information here and plenty of hands to help you get under way. You'll soon be producing some memorable beers and having a lot of fun too in the days ahead.

Navigate on over to our Advanced Brewing Techniques area of the forum and read over the '4 Things Every Brewer Should Know About Yeast' sticky. Yeast is a living cell, keep them healthy and they'll ferment you up some awesome tasting beers.

Typically a well fermented ale or lager beer should have plenty of carbonation after 2-3 weeks at 65-70F. As for the head rapidly disappearing, well you may want to read up on steeping grains along with your next extract brew. Start off with 1/2 pound of crushed Carapils or Crystal 10L soaked for 30 minutes in 155F water, you'll be pleasantly surprised at the difference.

your temp is fine 65* you did not carb & condition long enough. The time from should be (total carb & condition)4 weeks minimum 6 would have been a lot better Also the amount of corn sugar may not have been enough I am not sure I batch prime. The reason I am saying this is the fact that corn sugar is not as ferment-able as cane. your foam issue is very typical of extract only beers. Priming with honey helps

You typically need a little more corn sugar than cane sugar, but because MrB tends to go high on the amounts that should be fine. 65 degrees also sounds find for carbing. In this case it sounds like you need some more time - each batch can vary.

I've never used the carb drops but the feedback I've seen is that they take longer than using cane/corn sugar.

Don't fret, time will fix them (at room temp).

Tony - great question, thanks for asking it. I have learned a ton since joining this forum a few weeks ago. Enjoy the journey. B)

Timely question, as just popped one of my Rye beers after only 7 days carbing (The suspense was killing me). It was f-l-a-t. Serves me right. I'm going to give it another 10 days at room temp.
You'd think I would have learned by now after 20+ brews, but I was too impatient. I'm an A** :dry:

Edit: my wife told me to wait..now she is giving me the "you never listen to me" routine. :pinch: