Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Fee

Got new equipment!

Last night I bought a 6 gallon Betterbottle carboy, racking cane, tubing, plug, 2 lengths of hosing, an airlock, a bottler, caps.....I also made the move to corn sugar (dextrose) for carbing.

So I'm psyched about brewing batch #1 tonight, which I want to be a relatively quick and light IPA. I'm psyched about being able to layer recipies now between 2 gallon MRB batches and 5 gallon batches. Now I can layer, experiment more, brew more, and store more which will help with patience as I build a pipeline.

I have been resistent to the hydrometer. I know that it's one of the most advised thing to get on this board. I don't know why I'm resistent....I think I feel like it's not necessary and I'm not so interested in making it so scientific (we got by without them for thousands of years). The answer to not reaching the proper reading seems to always be the same...."wait longer". I know that it's a matter of time. I know that at some point soon I'll be doing all-grain mashes, and at some point I'll buy a hydrometer.

In the meantime if anyone has a cool IPA recipe that would be ready to drink relatively quickly, that would be cool and thanks for all the advice all the time.

awsome fee! new toys are always fun to mess with.

as for the hydrometer - not all use one but most do, not thats a reason to get one. but if you ever have a batch that is over carbed despite knowingg you primed it properly or you have a batch thats very sweet despite letting it sit 3 weeks plus, you will only be able to guess the cause but a hydrometer would have said that you bottled too soon or had a stuck fermentation. just thought i'd add a few more nuggets as to why so many have one ;)

Especially when they are only $5. One of the smallest investments you will make in brewing equipment. I love knowing just how potent my beers are. Plus knowing approximately how many calories they have.

Since you mentioned hydrometers and priming, not to steer the convo to far off the trak, but is there a "recommended" gravity level to bottle at? Or is it more of a when you find it not progressing further? Id assume the former than the latter.

Congrats on getting some more brewing toys...
What kind of IPA are you interested in...
Are you wanting to do an extract brew ir something a little more complex like a PM or AG?

the fg is really dependent upon a number of factors - amount of fermentables, non-fermentables, yeast strain, temperature, and other things i may be leaving off this list. use a tool like qbrew to help estimate expected gravities. generally speaking, if you take a fg reading and it doesn't change over the course of a few days, it's done.

My FGs varied widely when I was extract brewing. I think as the extracts age they become less fermentable or something. Also my FGs vary considerably based on the temperatures I mash at. Higher temperatures produce more unfermentable sugars. Which is good for maltier beers.

Also you will ferment farther if you use adjuncts such as sugar.

Most of the problems that a hydrometer reveal seem to be naturally solved by waiting longer anyway. A taste before bottling that's too sweet already says "wait a little while longer". leaning towards a few more days anyway combined with taking other clues....like when activity and bubbles stop (I know that's not the definitive clue). It's not the cost of a hydrometer it's the extra work and dipping and measuring and yeah......I know it's a matter of time before I get one, I'm just talking it out.

Partial mash is my next thing to tackle. There are still things I want to do with extracts. maybe after I knock off a porter and a stout I'll be ready to go with the grains.

Keeping my theme of going with Presidential candidates, I'm down to "Ron Paul's Randy Dandy Ale". I'd like it to be a pretty straight-forward beer, but I'm thinking some nut brown extract and one of those yeasts that can bring out some bannana. Other than that, mostly lighter extract and I might be open to a fruit. I suppose Amarillo hops could be the nod to Texas....but I'm open to lots of ideas. Not making it until tonight.

Amarillo is good since you want it to be hoppy. Its around 8-11% in alpha acids. How hoppy do you want it to be?

I tend to like hops so I'm game, but balanced. I'll go for hop overload but not on this one. Wouldn't mind combining 2-3 different hops. Each time I do this I try to bring out some of the qualities of whichever candidate I'm going for....culminating in an Obama victory stout which I'll go full out for. Then I can move on to something less juvenile....:)

Do you have acopy of qBrew? What kind of recipe do you have in mind? We can plug it in and see what you get.

It's a 5 gallon batch. Thinking a 3.3lb can of light Golden extract (Briess), about the same of a nut brown extract, 1 lb of light DME, no booster but considering a can of fruit, I'm open.

torn on the yeast, my advice has been...

Wyeast 3068 or White Labs WLP300 or Wyeast 1214 / White Labs WPL500 or WLP 380

Hops will be Amarillo plus I'll take another suggestion.

I gotta get the qbrew thing....

Ron Paul's Randy Dandy Ale...its good for your constitution :)

Yea qBrew will help (I'm sitting at work so I can't use qBrew but I have iBrewMaster on my iPod touch that is like the same).

Based on my calculations (and don't quote me on this because I don't have the Nutbrown in my app so I had to recreate it to the best of my abilities using grain and hops) you'd be in the 95 IBU range if you do 1 oz at 45 and 30 min boils and then do .5 oz at 15 mins. Keep in mind that is rough bc I'm not sitting at qBrew, but that is a hoppy beer. This is probably the best time to go over to Screw Brewer's site and download not only the tool, but the MB ingredients too...

Linky to tools

Ossian666 wrote:

Amarillo is good since you want it to be hoppy. Its around 8-11% in alpha acids. How hoppy do you want it to be?

I thought alpha acids just provide bitterness and it is the oils that provide the flavor. That's why you have to boil so long to get the bittering properties. I might be wrong on this but I don't think that AAs are a way to measure flavor or aroma, therefore hoppiness.

I think that's why some hops are recommended as flavoring or aroma, where others are recommended for bittering.

Well yea. But he wants more of an IPA, so the higher the AA the more all around "hoppy" flavor and aroma you are going to get, right? Obviously the time spent boiling the hops is going to impact whether its more of a bitterness or an aroma.

Alpha Acids

I will check that all out and thanks. Isn't 95 IBU a little high on the hoppiness? I'm a hop head I just want this one a bit more balanced.

Fee wrote:

I will check that all out and thanks. Isn't 95 IBU a little high on the hoppiness? I'm a hop head I just want this one a bit more balanced.

"hoppiness" is not so much perceived based on IBU's as it is based on the BU:GU ratio. Thats bittering untits to Gravity units. The higher the gravity (ah hem: hydrometer needed :P) the more IBU's are needed to off set that maltyness. A beer that has an OG of 1.040 with 93 IBU's will be perceived as more hoppy than a beer with an OG of 1.080 with 93 IBU's

In my opinion yes. But not necessarily...look at the Dogfish 120 minute IPA. That brew carries around 120 IBU. I like it, but couldn't drink more than one because I like my beers more malty.

95 will definitely have a nice rich hop bitterness and flavor to it. If you want a tamer IBU the 70-80 range I think would be a tad more reasonable.

But again you are back to plugging things into qBrew and seeing what would work best as far as boil times and maybe different hops as well.

Edit: My app puts your OG at about 1.08 and you ABV at 10%. LoL

And that's why I'm going to add 11 cups of honey. No, I'm just kidding!

Perhaps I could avoid the DME entirely. I do want to put some fruit in this one. I don't know what fruit best represents Ron Paul so I'm open to that too.

How about another hops besides Amarillo? What would compliment this?

Then I will check the qBrew thing.

I do get the concept around bitterness and tell me if I'm wrong. The more malt.....the more hops would be needed to balance that out. Keep upping the malts (and perhaps the adjuncts?) and generally we need to keep upping the hops to keep pace with the balance?

I like Dog 120. I think it was 3 or 4 years ago, I don't know if it was the 120....it could have been the 90 but I had one on cask and wow was it exceptional. Of course, 2 bottles of the 120 is enough becuase it's just so strong.

And yeah yeah I know.....I'll get the dang hydro thangy.

By the way, not that it's important or anyone cares. I'm a politics junkie and as I'm very much anti-right wing (it's easy given how wacked the GOP has become) I really describe myself as a moderate libertarian. Ideally I would love to sit down and create a leaner, smaller, more efficient govt with maximum liberty. I just don't hate govt and think they're all coming to get us.

I have enough political discussions elsewhere so I understand....but things shouldn't be totally taboo all the time either. We are all individuals with many parts to our lives. But no, this isn't the place to go getting into all of that.

Anyway, as you see in the other thread I brewed the Ron Paul beer last night and all looks well. I love my hops choices. Now I forget, my book isn't right here but one of the hops I used said it had elements of "earthy, onion and garlic" and man when I opened the bad yeah, I could see what they meant!