Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JerryOnDrums

All malt Raspberry Wheat- disappointing OG.

Well, last night I brewed up a batch of the Raspberry Wheat. I replaced the booster with a can of the wheat UME, and added the pureed can of raspberries right off the bat as well. My OG, which I was expecting to be in the mid-to-high 40's, came out at 1.037. I know you're not supposed to be chasing alcohol, but with my FG probably ending up in the 1.010-ish range, I'm looking at a mid-3% abv. Two cans of malt plus the can of fruit SHOULD (operative word) put me in the mid-5% abv range.

Oh well, hopefully it tastes good!

/vent.

That's the exact recipe I used for my raspberry wheat beer, except I added the fruit after primary.

Next time I will add the fruit right off, the raspberry flavor is slightly more pronounced than I like it, other than that it's very good.

I can think of five things that could lead to a lower reading like that.

One has already been mentioned (temperature correction), but I don't think that alone could account for the difference you're seeing.

Another is a failure to get all the extract from the can.

The third is failure to thoroughly mix the wort before taking the reading (although if you're taking the sample from the tap, this usually leads to an artificially high reading).

The fourth is overfilling the keg.

The final one is misreading the hydrometer.

If you filled to the 8.5 qt line, the two cans of extract alone should bring you over 1.040.

I was having some problems with low OG readings too. I started pulling a small sample off the spigot and tossing it, then filling my sample tube. It seemed like the wort wasn't mixing completely with the initial added water near and in the spigot. Since then my OG readings have been more in line.

bpgreen wrote:

One has already been mentioned (temperature correction), but I don't think that alone could account for the difference you're seeing.

The third is failure to thoroughly mix the wort before taking the reading (although if you're taking the sample from the tap, this usually leads to an artificially high reading).

If you filled to the 8.5 qt line, the two cans of extract alone should bring you over 1.040.

Thanks bp.

Right off the bat, I didn't correct for temperature. I submitted my registration and have been patiently waiting for my free temp sticker, but it's been a good few months now and nada...anyhow, the keg was cool to the touch after mixing the wort, as I used very cold (appx 40 degree) refrigerated spring water.

Would a cooler temp be indicative of a lower OG reading?

As far as the other points, I got the vast majority of the extract from the cans, so I don't imagine there could be a significant difference there. Also, I filled right to the 8.5 gal line before pitching the yeast, so overfilling shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the input though. There was definitely a raging yeast party happening for the past couple days, so I know I'm making beer. Hopefully it all comes out okay!

JerryOnDrums wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

Thanks bp.

Right off the bat, I didn't correct for temperature. I submitted my registration and have been patiently waiting for my free temp sticker, but it's been a good few months now and nada...anyhow, the keg was cool to the touch after mixing the wort, as I used very cold (appx 40 degree) refrigerated spring water.

Would a cooler temp be indicative of a lower OG reading?

As far as the other points, I got the vast majority of the extract from the cans, so I don't imagine there could be a significant difference there. Also, I filled right to the 8.5 gal line before pitching the yeast, so overfilling shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the input though. There was definitely a raging yeast party happening for the past couple days, so I know I'm making beer. Hopefully it all comes out okay!

If it's cooler, the actual OG will be lower than what shows, not higher. The fee thermometers aren't really accurate enough to do a gravity correction.

I use a sanitized rubber scraper, followed by some of the hit water from the put to get as much out of the can as possible. But if you got most of it, that shouldn't leave to much.

Since you didn't overfill, the only other options would be misreading or not mixing enough.

Alright, so things didn't seem to be adding up, so I decided to try something- I just tested the hydrometer in plain tap water, which as I understand, should read 1.000. This hydrometer is registering the tap water at .0094 though, which leads me to believe that the hydrometer is registering everything low?

Does this makes sense? Or are there more factors at play than I'm realizing? If it's really registering at .006 lower than it should, that would make my actual OG somewhere around 1.043, which while still low, is a lot better than what I originally thought...

Thoughts?

JerryOnDrums wrote:

Alright, so things didn't seem to be adding up, so I decided to try something- I just tested the hydrometer in plain tap water, which as I understand, should read 1.000. This hydrometer is registering the tap water at .0094 though, which leads me to believe that the hydrometer is registering everything low?

Does this makes sense? Or are there more factors at play than I'm realizing? If it's really registering at .006 lower than it should, that would make my actual OG somewhere around 1.043, which while still low, is a lot better than what I originally thought...

Thoughts?

You may be onto something but to properly calibrate it, you need to use distilled water, not tap, and you should test it at 60 F.