Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Derek

This Guy's Noob Beer Thread

So, I was thinking this (I actually now have 3 brew kegs)

1 Dutch Lager - straight no additives

1 WCIPA - w/ red raspberries and golden wheat UME - What hops? Cascade for Aroma or Taste?

1 Witty Monk

---------------------------------------------

Should I add hops to the Witty Monk? Anything?

Which hops should I add for aroma/flavor/bitterness for the WCIPA?

Should I pick up some better yeast? I really liked the outcome of the Saflager S-23 for my first brew (cold temp).

I only have one brew under my belt so any other advice, hit me with it.

So I went ahead with the experimental WCIPA brew.
1 can HME, 1 can golden wheat UME, 1 can of red raspberries (from MrB), and I went ahead and did a hops boil (with the GW UME, of course)
18 minutes Liberty, 7.5 minutes Cascade.
~%80+ flavor

Don't worry I'm not expecting award winning beer. I've got a plain WCIPA brewing as well, I can't wait to taste the difference and figure out the hops a bit more.

Also did the BM Dutch Lager, boiled 4 cups of water, removed from heat, and slowly stirred in. Didn't clump much.

I'll report back with results.

Brew list:
Love Potion Lager - Cold conditioning since 2/14
WCIPA - 2/26
Exp. WCIPA - 3/4
Dutch Lager - 3/4

Thanks man. No replies but some of us do read and are curious. Keep it up.

Cheers!

Keep us posted. I'm interested in how your raspberry wheat turns out. I opened my first pack of hops (cascade) the other day and was blown away by how good they smell. My wife commented "it smells like a brewery in here!" My reply was "it smells like heaven should."

Derek,

I admire your spunk. The conventional wisdom is to stick to the basics in the beginning and develop a foundation first before experimenting. There is very good reason for that wisdom.

But like you, it's just in my nature to jump right out there and get slapped around real good in the first round instead of cautiously sizing up my opponent first. We are what we are.

Others have started out experimenting too soon, then backed up and worked on the basics and then moved on again. Actually, some very respectable and likable others, as a matter of fact.

You keep on enjoying your brews, and please do keep sharing what you do with the rest of us. As Scoots said, just because nobody speaks up, it don't mean nobody's listening.

Joechianti wrote:

Derek,

I admire your spunk. The conventional wisdom is to stick to the basics in the beginning and develop a foundation first before experimenting. There is very good reason for that wisdom.

But like you, it's just in my nature to jump right out there and get slapped around real good in the first round instead of cautiously sizing up my opponent first. We are what we are.

Others have started out experimenting too soon, then backed up and worked on the basics and then moved on again. Actually, some very respectable and likable others, as a matter of fact.

You keep on enjoying your brews, and please do keep sharing what you do with the rest of us. As Scoots said, just because nobody speaks up, it don't mean nobody's listening.

+1
Were just lurking :whistle:

You didnt do your hop boil in the HME did you? Cause thats a no-no...

Nope, in the UME. Mixed the HME in after I removed the pot from heat, mixed, and then dumped into the LBK.

Wish I would have seen this thread earlier and given you a proper welcome. What Joe said it spot on. The most important part is to have fun and enjoy the creations you make, both good and bad. Keep on asking questions.

Welcome and Cheers!

UPDATE:
Opened a Dutch Lager by accident (thought it was my first brew) and it was pretty damn good. The Love Potion Lager has smoothed out quite a bit too. Very satisfied!

Dutch Lager - Bottled first weekend in April (I believe)
Experimental WCIPA - Bottled 5/20/2012
Took a FG (1.011) but never got an OG

Then I went ahead and brewed two more batches:

Dutch Lager (with 2.5oz dark molasses - trying to get a feel for different ingredients and flavors) brewed 5/20/2012
Witty Monk Witbier (with 8.5oz light agave syrup, 5.25g Safale US-05) brewed 5/20/2012

Cheers

Guest System Admin

Right on good to hear your success story. Keep on brewing my friend.

Cheers!