Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Creativewoody

Mr Beer whopper cost of shipping to Canada

I'm sure many have had this issue.

I just priced out what was going to be my order on this site.

Until my $137 order suddenly added $97 shipping to it.

Can I get my stuff on amazon.ca for zero shipping? As long as it's over $25? You betcha.

My biggest question is how the heck Amazon can do free shipping in Canada for Mr. Beer products....yet Mr. Beer's site can't?

If anyone knows that answer I'd love to hear it. Just a curiosity thing. I will find my Mr. Beer somewhere!!

Lol

Hey Creative, fellow Canuck here!

Amazon has a Canadian address that they ship from so they don't have the international costs.

I don't know where you live in Canada, but if you are near a border, you can always have it shipped to a PO Box in the US for the $7.95 flat rate. I have a friend just across the border from me that I ship stuff to all the time to save on shipping. While you can get some stuff on Amazon, I prefer the MRB site because you can really mix and match your ingredients. Plus, if you have a coupon code for 20% off, which they usually send you with your welcome kit, you can get some great deals on extra LBKs and other supplies.

Good luck and have fun!

Shipping rates aren't standard across the board, each company charges differently based on what their shipping model is.

So, while it sounds like I'm being a smart ass here, the straight answer is that Mr.Beer isn't Amazon :P

You could also try the store locator.

I've heard of people using Ship It To for other items that won't ship to Canada or because of the cost. I've never had to use the site, but it may be an option to consider.

Guest System Admin

Customs....our government wants your money!

manosteel9423 wrote:

Hey Creative, fellow Canuck here!

Amazon has a Canadian address that they ship from so they don't have the international costs.

I don't know where you live in Canada, but if you are near a border, you can always have it shipped to a PO Box in the US for the $7.95 flat rate. I have a friend just across the border from me that I ship stuff to all the time to save on shipping. While you can get some stuff on Amazon, I prefer the MRB site because you can really mix and match your ingredients. Plus, if you have a coupon code for 20% off, which they usually send you with your welcome kit, you can get some great deals on extra LBKs and other supplies.

Good luck and have fun!

I do have some family in Washington State that come up to visit a couple times a year. I could always have them bring up my goodies that way.
Thanks all for your info! Very helpful.

crazy idea how about getting your local extract, hops etc You don't need Mr B to make beer

haerbob3 wrote:

crazy idea how about getting your local extract, hops etc You don't need Mr B to make beer

I don't have a local store for ingredients either. The closest LHBS that I have is about an hour's drive. Just about any way I cut it, I'm going to be ordering most of my ingredients online.

sorry what I meant was from in Canada so you do not have to pay such high shipping

Hello CreativeWoody and welcome to the forums. As a fellow Canadian and new brewer I noticed the same thing when I placed my order with Mr.Beer. But If you order over $150 or so you get free shipping. That was my experience on my first(and only so far) order anyways. I was in the same spot as you looking at huge shipping costs so I figured I'd add a few more items while I was at it and then saw no shipping charges. I was sure happy to get more items and still pay less overall.

Also I prefer to order from Mr.Beer because the ingredients you get are fresh. I had bought some refill kits on sale without knowing about the expiry dates. Some of the stuff on Amazon could be the same. Hope this helps.

Where are you from by the way? I'm in Victoria, BC.

Cheers,

Ash

ManBeast wrote:

Hello CreativeWoody and welcome to the forums. As a fellow Canadian and new brewer I noticed the same thing when I placed my order with Mr.Beer. But If you order over $150 or so you get free shipping. That was my experience on my first(and only so far) order anyways. I was in the same spot as you looking at huge shipping costs so I figured I'd add a few more items while I was at it and then saw no shipping charges. I was sure happy to get more items and still pay less overall.

Also I prefer to order from Mr.Beer because the ingredients you get are fresh. I had bought some refill kits on sale without knowing about the expiry dates. Some of the stuff on Amazon could be the same. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ash

Well...I wish I would have known this before!! Haha. I have placed two orders in the past 30 days that have equaled close to $200 and had them both shipped to my friend across the border. Had I known they would ship to Canada for free over $150, I would have just place one big order! :silly:

manosteel9423 wrote:

ManBeast wrote:

Cheers,

Ash

Well...I wish I would have known this before!! Haha. I have placed two orders in the past 30 days that have equaled close to $200 and had them both shipped to my friend across the border. Had I known they would ship to Canada for free over $150, I would have just place one big order! :silly:

Well...I just tried building an order over $150 and shipping it to my home address in Canada and there was an ASTRONOMICAL shipping charge. I contacted customer service and they informed me that there is no free shipping to Canada on any amount.

I mentioned this thread and their response was, "Oh...THAT guy!" :laugh:

Apparently, ManBeast caught a glitch in the system that has since been corrected! I was told to congratulate you, ManBeast, for your score, but to advise any other Canucks hoping for a similar windfall that there would be no such luck. :(

Well they make it sound like I am some computer hacker. I just placed an order and that is what happened so I assumed the company had it set up as such. I guess I shouldn't have shared my good fortune on here. If it makes them feel any better they didn't ship me the package of no rinse cleanser that was supposed to come with my seasonal Imperial Pilsner. Guess we'll call it even. Haha :silly:

OK, well, I'm glad I found this forum. I'm about ready to make my keg into a planter or a water feature in a garden or something. I've been looking for local retailers where I can get refills for the past 3 months and no such luck. My kit was bought at a local retailer and given to me as a gift for Christmas. Yea I know it was June before I used it. That's just the way it worked out. I had never brewed my own before, but I loved the first batch. So I went back to the same store to get refills, they sold the kit, so they should have the refills right? WRONG! Mr Beer is a seasonal item and they only get the kits in at Christmas time. Then I checked the Mr Beer online website.....found two places that said they carried it.... NOT... store managers said they had it once but don't anymore, but somehow they got listed on the Mr Beer Store Locator. Back to square one..... online only and no idea what shipping would cost to Halifax NS.

Guest System Admin

Welcome to the forum!

I've searched and found a couple brew supply stores in Canada. There are a couple members on here from up north like u, pocketjr comes to mind. Stick around, talk some and ask about fellow canadians, they will show up. They can help you in your quest, they seem to find MrB items. If you have no luck, think about doing BIAB (brew in a bag) batches, you can find all the ingredients locally about any town. You can do them in 2.13 gallon batches, etc. I hope u find a source, MrB recipes are good and they are begining a new erra currently with Coopers buying them out and comming in with new supplies/ingredients.

edit: Just re-read entire thread. It sounds like they are getting good deals on amazon.com? Have u checked them out? I have had good luck with other products there myself. Just a thought.

You can also try using mail drops just inside the US border.

There is one in Pembina ND, just south of Winnipeg that we have used. It costs $5 per package if you pick it up in a month, another $5 if within a year and after that they keep it.

A quick Google search should find one at your nearest border crossing town.