Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
pocred

What to do with hop sock?

Brewed the honey maibock recipe yesterday, followed MB instructions to the T. According to MB you leave the hop sock in with the wort . Is that right? I left it in the LBK. It has the tettenger(sp) hops in it.

I'm assuming the instructions had you add the hops when you added the extract. No problem to leave it in there.

Ditto.

I found out after the fact, though, that it's a good idea to put a sanitized marble or two in the sack so it doesn't float.

Guest System Admin

E = Mc2 wrote:

Ditto.

I found out after the fact, though, that it's a good idea to put a sanitized marble or two in the sack so it doesn't float.

+1

Screwy Brewer's Idea of Stainless Steel washers works great. I am doing that now

E = Mc2 wrote:

Ditto.

I did the same with my batch of Harp Golden Ale. Left it in the LBK like it said but did not weight it down :S

MegaKegger wrote:

E = Mc2 wrote:

Ditto.

I did the same with my batch of Harp Golden Ale. Left it in the LBK like it said but did not weight it down :S

+1 but with Shillelagh Stout (my St Patty's Day treat). I could see the hop sack just floatin' around in there. Is there a preference for weighting it down and why? TIA

B) I have not weighed down my hop sacks but find they sink after a few days in the wort.

Guest System Admin

Rayyankee wrote:

B) I have not weighed down my hop sacks but find they sink after a few days in the wort.

Many have done that but I also had quite a few that were floating on top when I bottled.

Adding the SS washers it is on the bottom always

The sack I boiled last night for my Novacaine is barely floating on the top, the one I didn't boil is floating.

Is there a reason for not wanting it to float in the fermenter?I have a Winter Dark Lager fermenting in its second week.The hop sack is foating in my fermenter! :unsure:

"Spucky" post=242288 said:

Is there a reason for not wanting it to float in the fermenter?I have a Winter Dark Lager fermenting in its second week.The hop sack is foating in my fermenter! :unsure:

I wouldn't mind knowing the answer either. Just brewed the 1776 Ale on Friday, and I saw my hop sack floating, not sure if that is an issue or not. Help!

I guess it wouldn't be an issue if its floating at the top, but if its submerged it could maybe clog when you're bottling?

I never use a hop sack, just throw the hops in naked. They all seem the sink in the trub by the time you're done fermenting. I never find particles in my finished beer.

Some say you can get off flavors if it's floating. No experience here as I don't use the sack.

"Gluek" post=253668 said:

I guess it wouldn't be an issue if its floating at the top, but if its submerged it could maybe clog when you're bottling?

I never use a hop sack, just throw the hops in naked. They all seem the sink in the trub by the time you're done fermenting. I never find particles in my finished beer.

I've dry hopped commando on two batches now and haven't had an issue with particles either. I have read about the hop sack blocking the valve at bottling or kicking up trub from sliding while moving the lbk. As far as off flavors, time is a contributor to grassy flavors. Haven't heard about the sack floating or not floating as being an issue.